Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Gummers Defense Too Much For Mustangs

"We put the clamps on them in the 3rd quarter and that was that," said Gummer Head Coach Lloyd Bement, after his BJE team beat Ocala on the losers floor 78-69 last night in front of a smallish crowd of 13,945. Trever Harcrow paced the Gummer effort with 23 points and 8 rebounds. He also had 4 blocks and 3 steals. "Trever is not the best body out there. But he plays hard for a lot of minutes. Those 41 mintues he played were tough ones both on offense and defense. He held Jackson (Priest) to a 4 of 13 shooting performance, and Jackson is a good center," said Bement. The big 3rd quarter put the Gummers in front 65-44 going into the final 12 minutes. TJ Jager has a double double for BJE with 12 points and 11 assits. Nap Woolever added 21 points.

Notes: Coach Bement was not kind to Ocala after the game in his comments. Refering to the Mustangs as a team without direction, Bement liked the display to that of a chinese fire drill. "My my, they have a ton of players. They tried to wear us down, but that is something no team can do. We might get beat and sometimes we might look bad, but our team is a team that can play all night. We don't get tired, never. They (Ocala) will get better once they develop into a more cohesive unit. Its hard trying to play that many players."
    Tonights game with the league champs will be tough for the Gummers. Manitoba is the best team in the league. "They are really good and deep. We have to allow their starters to play more minutes than they want. We can beat their starting five but our bench cannot beat their bench. If it comes to a war of the benches, we lose. Unlike last night Manitoba has no weaknesses," Bement was quoted.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fighting Beavers Ease Past Gummers

Not much of a contest as the Manitoba Fighting Beavers toyed with Blackjack 87-64 in the Gummer Stadium before a sellout of 40,574.

Coach Bements comments: We didn't play well, though I can't blame our effort. The fact of the matter is that they are a much better team. We will try to regroup for Hampton. This is only one game and not many teams will beat Matitoba. We turned it over too much and couldn't shoot the ball tonight. Nap (Woolever) played with authority tonight. He has put together two good games. I like his improvement. Now if he could just hit a 3.

Team Notes: Hampton Roads (0-2) next up there. The sellout last night was the 11 straight home sellout for the Gummers.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hampton Roads Rides Blackjack 109-98

Trever Harcrow scored 35 points and Jose Niebuhr added 25 but that wasn't enough as the Killer Bees used a three man onslaught to whip the Gummers at the Hampton Scope Sports in front of 23869 (25834) fans. Joan (Transe..)Standridge was the queen Killer Bee as he (she) scored 27 points on a so so hot night of shooting (10-20). Antonio Loupe added 25 and Collin Turkus's 22 rounded out the bigtime scorers for the Bees.

Coach Bements Comments: That threesome they have is really hot. They put on a display last night that will be remembered for a long time. They went toe to toe with Trever and Jose and it was are real fight. My congratulations to the Bees. W

Next up for Blackjact will be a 3-0 Beaverton.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Harcrow's Tip At Buzzer Beats Beaverton

Trever Harcrows buzzer beating tip of a Sammy Saez shot gave BJE a thrilling one 91-89 victory over the Blue Wave last night. Harcrow, suffering from a bad performance, made a career low 3 field goals in the win, yet said that his tip was worth the wait. "I have had bad nights before, but that tip really made my night. They didn't box me out and I had a nice look at Sonnys shot and the putback was routine. My only regrets was that I didn't slam it. I did't want to get to excited so I just let it hit my palm and it slid through the cords," Harcrow said. Jose Niebuhr led five Gummers in double figures with 16 points. Harcrow was the leader in boards with nine. "That was a real tough team. They really play hard and even with all those fouls they gave us, they stayed with us to the end. I really think they might be a touch better than us. It will not be easy to beat them on their court," said Harcrow.

Coach Bements Comments: Nice win as always. I was suprised they didn't shoot a better percentage but our soft full court press was effective. We pushed them ever so gently with it and they missed lots of crip shots. I thought our bench was great. We got some real quality play from Saez and Allbee.

Next up: Haywood on the road. Lumberjacks are two and two with a two game losing streak.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Big First Half Gives BJE Road Win

A bigtime first half lead, 25 points, allowed Blackjack-Edmond to post a 86-80 road win at Hayward last night in front of a sparce 4542 fans. "You don't come back from a large lead like that everyday. Our defense was tremendous and we played our best "team" ball this early season. I can think that we have a chance to win a lot of games if we play smart like tonight," said Head Coach Lloyd Bement. The Gummers starting guard combo of TJ Jager and Nap Woolever combined for a 7 of 14 three point shooting night as the winners took advantage of a loose zone defense by Haywood. "We knew that they would not give our post play much so we told the guards to shoot when open. We have good shooters and they did their job," said Bement. Foucher is a top center and he hurt us in the second half, but we had the game in hand. Trever was doing his best but Dwain is really good. I need to ask their coach if they want to trade him to us!"

Next Up: St. Paul at home.....the Pups are 2 and 3 and but have won their last two. "We are a more talented team but they tend to play us tough. We cannot have a let down," assistant coach Billy Tubbs said today. Trever Harcrow is 6th in scoring and 4th in rebounding and 7th in blocks in league stats. TJ Jager is 4th in assists. Jose Niebuhr is 10th in steals.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

despite our starting PG being out, we're coming after your punk asses tonight, gummers =)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Gummers Upset Calif. Look Foward to chicago

Blackjack-Edmond won its 4th straight, 8th of its last 9, last night in California, with an easy 83-68 pounding of the injury riddled Golden Sky. The Gummers fell behind by three at the end of the first 12 minutes 17 to 14, had a productive second and third quarters to lead 57 to 44 going into the final quarter. Both teams seemed to trade baskets in that final 12 minutes as the Gummers closed out the game with a slam by Trever Harcrow with 3 seconds to go. Harcrow had game honors with 20 points.

Coach Bements Comments: We played a nice game but we must put the game into perspective. They had three key players out. We play them full strength we don't beat them by 15. But a win is a win and we loved beating them on their court. I thought the difference was the play at point with TJ (Jager) dominating his man. Jager is one tough cookie and I don't think he let Boris sniff the goal. I was pleased with our guard play overall and this has been our biggest improvement over last year. We shoot the three better and defend better. And I have already said that Nat (Woolever) is a much better player this year than last. Now, lets get to chicago. They are like I said last time we played them. They are great shooters and you cannot leave them open. But again, they are not a physical team, in that we can wear them out over the course of a game. We will push the ball and let them huff and puff themselves to the bench. Again, no overconfidence with them. Chicago puts some very skilled players on the court and they haven't won five in a row without some talent. The thing is we know we are the better team and we know that we will win. If we lose, we will be shocked.

Notes: Chicago is 8 and 4. They are 7-0 against teams with losing records, 1-0 with teams with even records, and 0-4 against teams with winning records. The Gummers are 2-2 against teams with winning records.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

we got beat at PG, which wasn't a surprise with our starter out but we shouldn't have been beat at the PF spot. that was disappointing. between those 2 positions is what determined the outcome. we didn't play to our strengths, either, which was a strategic mistake on my part.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Gummers Need No Special Effort In Win

"It wasn't that hard. They aren't that good. We really expected more." Those were some of the comments of Blackjack players after their easy 91-72 crusing win over chicago at home last night. "We played our game and they played theirs and we are about 20 points better. I thought that losing Woolever would not hurt us and it didn't. Sammy is a very capable backup and he did a wonderful job on at the sg position. We are deeper than you think. Enough with chicago. They will someday be good enough to play with us but not right now," commented Gummer coach Lloyd Bement.

Notes: Saez will start until Woolever is healed. Doctors say that "Nap" suffered a first degree PCL strain under his left knee. Doctors will re-evaluate the injury once swelling goes down and and the knee is drained.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Gummers Drop Two Games

Despite a couple of defeats, Gummer Head Coach Lloyd Bement seems pleased with his teams play. "We have a 11-5 record at this time and our play has been consistant. We have lost a starter but we I don't think we will have to struggle for a playoff spot this season. That shows we are making improvement.

Gummers Play Manitoba tonght. Another loss will not damper the Gummers. "We kinda expect a hard time tonight but thats ok. We will play hard and we do have some suprises in store for them," said Gummer center Trever Harcrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast