Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

don't like the idea of tankers?

then deal directly with them. instaed of changeing things that won't affect tankers anyways, create a competition commitee for the league (best way woudl be by vote and 3-5 members). that commitee would then be responsible for researching the season of questionable teams. And after debate, they woudl decide if said team was "guilty" of Tanking - which would then result in fines, movement of draft slot, loss of draft pick, etc.. dependant upon the situation.

Remember this suggestion is only if everyone truely wants to deal with tankers, and other "unsportsmanship like conduct". I know this couldn't be done in most any other league, But I have the feeling this is a "private" league since we have to agree to the league rules to play here.

What do you say?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

the competition committee might not be a bad idea but I have a question about tanking in this league. Keep in mind that I have only been playing simgalaxy since July 04.
    I experimented with tanking with the first couple of teams that I took over that were out of the playoffs where it might make a difference between the 3 or 5th pick. I very quickly concluded it was a lot more fun to try to see how much I could improve the team - maybe make a run at the no 8 spot or just go .500 the last half of the season even though I might not make the playoffs.
    now this is a league of champions and some of our rules are enforced under the honor system. we are all very competive or we would not have been invited into this league. we all know we may end with some losing seasons and there will only be one champion out of 32 each season.
    I don't see how tanking should be a real issue in this league.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think some people might use it as a strategy. But I say go ahead and let them. It's one approach. It certainly isn't going to harm the other teams. And it seems that tanking isn't really a great strategy anyway unless maybe you do it for five seasons in a row.

I'd be concerned about the biases that a competition committee might have, say against someone they didn't like. Would it be fair?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

While I do like a committee to monitor trades and stuff like that - I feel that tanking is a legit strategy. I have never done it myself as I feel the payoff in rooks you don't see yet is a pretty big gamble - and I have always been close enough to the playoffs to make a run at it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

From what I've seen in the past, the rookies you draft aren't worth tanking.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's because you haven't seen the talent pool in a league which has never experienced unlimited potential.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here is how to eliminate the tanking have a lottery which is being discussed would you tank your season to find out you get the 6th pick in the draft?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree partially that a lottery would help. However a 20 percent shot is still better than say a 2 percent - so could cause some owner's to decide to ditch the current season in hopes of a great rookie.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No.

A lottery will increase Tanking, and worse it will afect play-off possibilities more. because borderline teams will have a stronger urge to TANK due to being able to steal first by just falling outside of the Play-offs.

SO how is that going to make you not want to throw a game or two?

"hmm, Lottery increases my chances for getting a much betetr pick, for still haveng a dceent season, I only have to throw 3-4 games towards the end after I know I'm out."

Lottery isn't the answer to tanking. A Competition Comitee would be.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would rather get the revenue from playoff games than have a tiny chance of getting a lottery pick. With a 7-game series, lower seeds will have more home games than most of us are used to in 5-game series leagues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast