Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

One of the coolest things about active Franchise Basketball leagues is when certain players become well-known enough around the league that they take on a mythology of their own -- whether it's the career underachievement and unjustified hype of Abaray the Lesser and the allegedly cancerous Talarico in L2, the aura of invincibility of six-time championship captain Magic Gholston in L30, the sheer brutality of Terence Abbas in L17, the Draudt-Schiele rivalry in L25, or just about anybody in L31, achievers and underachievers alike.

What I'm most looking forward to in this league is seeing player legends develop along the same lines. While it happens naturally over time, it would be really great if we could get the ball rolling by doing a small piece on one player from each of our teams -- not necessarily the best player on your roster, but preferably not somebody too old, as what's the point in creating a reputation for a guy who'll retire next season?

Anyway, I've got the ball rolling with a piece on the #1 pick in the draft, Augustus Frates.

=======

SYDNEY SILVERBACKS
    Augustus "Caesar" Frates
    <font size="2">#23 - SG/SF - 6'6" - 279 lb - 24 yo
    College: Valparaiso
    Salary: $10.7m
    Potential: AA(M)
    Off: 4.0 Def: 4.5 Sht: 4.0 Reb: 5.0 Fat: 2.5 ThP: 4.0 Fou: 2.5 Inj: 3.0
    First overall pick</font>

When the ping-pong balls fell Sydney's way, giving the Silverbacks first choice from the pool of players available in the newly-founded Champions League, team general manager Stumps faced a long, difficult decision-making process.

"Having that first pick can be a double-edged sword," Stumps mused.

"It's great to know that you can take any player whatsoever from the list available, but it's definitely also a little scary to think that another 62 players will be gone before you pick again.

"Needless to say, that puts some pressure on you to make sure you get that first one right."

With several quality players (including PF Leroy Reichenbach and C Lavern Swedlund) already committed to the roster as exempt "local" players, Stumps knew that it was important to get somebody who would complement the existing talent.

"I knew that first pick had to give me three things," the Sydney GM said.

"I wanted somebody who could play multiple positions, because I didn't know who'd still be available when our next pick came around.

"I wanted a perimeter player, because I was pretty happy with what Leroy [Reichenbach] and Lavern [Swedlund] brought to the table.

"Finally, I really wanted to get a younger player who hadn't yet entered his prime -- I needed somebody that fans of this franchise could really identify with, and who'd still be around in ten years time to lead this club well into the future."

Enter the Emperor -- "Caesar" Augustus Frates.

Built more like a brick outhouse (and a large one at that) than a basketballer, Frates was an unlikely selection for more than one reason.

There was speculation that Frates, a two-sport star at his alma mater Valparaiso University, might pursue a career in professional football rather than basketball.

"It's funny, actually," Frates mused.

"My favourite football team is the Stampede -- I actually used to dream I'd be here in Sydney playing for them -- but things have worked out differently and I'm here playing basketball instead."

Switching between the forward positions in college, Frates was one of the top rebounders in the NCAA and the shortest Div I player to average a double-double in his junior and senior years.

The Silverbacks' selection of fellow young gun Dino Heber, a dedicated small forward, suggests that the team will utilise Frates at shooting guard, a position at which he is less experienced.

"There's no doubt that rebounding is my forte," Frates agreed.

"I know I won't be able to exploit that as much this season, because I'm going to be more focused on shutting down my man on the perimeter, but hopefully I can use my bulk to help the team in other ways."

Scouts point out that there were several players more talented than Frates available in the draft, but agree that it will be difficult to match his potentialy longevity.

"First of all, he was the youngest guy in the draft," pointed out a league scout (who did not wish to be named).

"On top of that, he's one of those few guys who seems incredibly teachable.

"His rate of development in college was superb, and his former coaches have nothing but praise for him.

"You hate to overuse that term 'upside', but Frates is one player I would have no hesitation in applying it to.

"It's almost scary to think how good he'll be in four or five years' time, especially if he can work on his general fitness and propensity to foul."

As a potential franchise player, Augustus Frates has one important factor in his favour -- nicknames.

"Yeah, I got plenty," chuckled Frates.

"Caesar, the Emperor, the Frate Train ... I've heard them all."

Over the next few seasons, Frates will be doing his best to add "Champ" to that list.

<font color="#000002" size="1">[ March 17, 2005 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Stumps ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

... reserving my spot right here when i get the chance to create something

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Holmegaard Hustlers
    Sam "Play it Again" Plessner
    SF - 6'8" - 290 lb - 27 yo
    College: St. Francis - NY
    Salary: $14.911.080m
    Potential: A(M)
    Off: 4.5 Def: 5.0 Sht: 4.5 Reb: 4. Fat: 2.0 ThP: 5.0 Fou: 5.0 Inj: 2.0
    Draft pick #41

"Play it Again" was the first draft choice of the Holmegaard Hustlers, and figures to be the leader of the Hustlers franchise for the coming decade.

Despite his obvious talent, Sam had to wait a while on draft night, before he was scooped up by the Hustlers. "Yeah, I was expecting to get picked before I was, but I guess most coaches out there were looking for other things. But I am glad to be picked up by a franchise like the Hustlers, who believe in making me the cornerstone of the franchise".

Holmegaard Hustlers GM had this to say about the draft. "Seemed to us a lot of managers were looking for either backcourt of frontcourt players, and not really looking to the SF position. We looked at our options when it was our turn to pick, and it was obvious that Sam was by far the best player available. We just have to count our lucky stars he was still available, when we picked...It is our honest belief that we have got one of the ten best players in the draft".

Coach Springstead had this to say about Plessner. "He is obviously a player without any flaws on the court, and are able to play great offense, great defense and to tear up opposing defenses with precision shooting, both in the paint and from 3-point range....Simply put, this kid can do it all. Futhermore, I am impressed with his on-court discipline, he rarely fouls, instead trapping opposing players. Sam knows we need him on the court, not on the bench with 6 fouls, and its always great to work with a player like this....All in all, I expect Sam to make it to the All-Galaxy team for many years to come".

"Play it Again" wrapped it all up in the following final statement. "I am here to make an impact in this league....I have talented and young players around me, and we will be hitting out prime 3 years from now...When we do hit our prime, expect us to make some noise in this league....and believe me, when people see what we can do, they will be asking us to "Play it Again".

<font color="#000002" size="1">[ March 20, 2005 04:55 AM: Message edited by: Graffin ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LACONIA PEERS

Landon Falardeau, (SG), 25yrs
    Salary: $5.593m
    Potential: BA(Low)

With their first pick on the L40 expansion draft and the #45 pick overall the Laconia Peers selected Landon Falardeau, a lanky shooting guard from rural Gascony via Evansville. Spartan Sportstalk reporter Costas Prohibitiv caught up with Mr Falardeau after Tuesdays 12hr practice at Helot Hill stadium.

CP: Mr Falardeau welcome to Greece. How are you liking it so far?

Falar: Thanks. Greece, well I?m loving it so far. Great sun, good food, interesting wine? but what?s up your women here? Big noses, hairy armpits, no! (spits) Thank goodness for tourists, yes!

CP: Um? ok. Mr Falardeau, I heard some of the squad calling you Frenchie. Is that a nickname and where did that come from.

Falar: Well no I?ve never been called that before coming here. I think some of your reporters were calling me the French Spartan for a while. Maybe it?s that. The guys really only started calling me Frenchie after an episode with the cheerleading squad. I don?t know really. (shrugs)

CP: So how are you fitting in with the rest of the squad then?

Falar: It?s been difficult. This 12hr training regime is just crazy. I mean how is one suppose to enjoy a relaxing evening out after a days training like that. I think I?ve strained my groin already. Stupid. Some real nice players there though. Some with real potential.

CP: Like who?

Falar: Well like Lauren Taffer for starters. I never realised this was a mixed gender league until first day at training. That certainly makes things more enjoyable. Lauren has great potential. She?s gorgeous, fantastic butt and with this sun her tan is just?(pauses) I try to mark up against her at practice just too? She plays hard. (grins)

CP: Do you know much about any of your opposition at this stage. There are some great young SGs around the league.

Falar: No. I don?t like to worry about that sort of thing. They?re good but then so am I. It?s all good. Actually I did meet that young guy everyone is raving about. We were on the same flight into LA last week. Whats his name Caesar? Frates? that?s it. I call him Gus. Now he is one nice young man. Blonde hair, have you seen the legs on him? I was quite taken with him? and he looks so young. Really I?d like to meet up with him again. I?m sure you understand, yes. You?re Greek aren?t you? (winks)

CP: Mr Falardeau do you feel any sort of pressure at all from being the Peers top draft pick?

Falar: Pressure? I?m a relaxed kind of man. I?m not sure what you mean?

CP: Do you think your basketball skills can live up to the fans expectations?

Falar: Well I?m good. I don?t think I?ve got much to prove. What you see is what you get with me.

CP: But you?re young. You must have some areas of your game to improve in. What are you working on currently?

Falar: Improve? Why? Do you think I?m bad. I?m good, you?ll see. I?ve got nothing to work on over here other than my tan and ? (Sees Taffer exiting the gym)

CP: Well Mr Falardeau. Thanks for your time. It sounds like you?re going to enjoy your stay here in Greece. Hopefully we?ll see some good performances on the court at some stage soon.

Falar: Ah, yes thanks, what?d you say? Nevermind? (takes off at a run.)

<font color="#000002" size="1">[ March 20, 2005 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Leonidas ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

reserving my spot for Madriaga once he is no longer injured.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

we had the #2 pick overall- a very enviable position but with the deep draft, we chose to trade down to #12. we were looking for a young, multi-positional player with reasonable salary demands. we chose 25 yr old PG/SG/SF, rodrick "whole lotta" rosenbeck, who fit the bill. we started rosie off at SF and he was a bit inconsistent but after a trade we slid him down to SG where he seems to be playing more comfortably.

another young drafted player who has turned out to be a surprise in later rounds is 28 yr old SF/PF is shayne "fatso" dato. he's been the more consistent player, starting at the PF position for this chicago search & destroyers team. we jumped a few picks up because we liked him so much and wanted to make sure we didn't miss out on him. he hasn't disappointed us.

we feel these 2 youngsters are the cornerstones of our team and we should be contending soon. we also hold the .38 special's 1st round pick next year due to a trade made during last year's draft to add to our stable of future studs rosenbeck and dato.

<font color="#000002" size="1">[ April 03, 2005 04:24 PM: Message edited by: sandman89 ]</font>