Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

.... Any info goes in this area

What do people think about what dickyknee wrote about dropping the RELEASE BUTTON ... anyone want to give an opinion or suggestion to how this could be good or bad for the league

... i will discuss my own ideas on it shortly however just for the main fact this would completely change the game for all us in a drastic way I would BE FOR IT.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1. I dont think Scott can just take away the release button ... and even thought everyone in this league knows each other since we have all played for awhile I wouldnt want a rule to be made saying "NO RELEASING PLAYERS" when GM's still have the ability to release ... it just would lead to bad things in time.

2. Another thing is when multiple GM's are bidding on the same player in the FA market ... his price gets raised due to this and now a GM could be stuck with a player for sometime crippling his team for the next couple of seasons. <font color="red"> I know it will be said that GMs should then really consider who they sign and for what and i agree, just have to look at this in all directions</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think many of these are issues of CODING for scott and may not be possible ... hopefully he may be able to post and shed some light on what we could do

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

3. Now if their was NO RELEASING after you sign players I think it would cut back on the long term contracts because GMs would be affraid to cripple their team for many seasons to come ... with 0,1,2,3 year contracts i think training would increase which would be good and players wouldnt be able to be kept on the same team for 5-10 seasons and would end up on the FA market for other teams to utilize.

4. What would be nice is if a Gm wanted to release a player on lets say a 2yr - 10Million contract he would have to eat the money out of his own finances or cap space.

If cap was 70Million then he would only be able to use 60Million till the new season started <font color="red">if you did it longer than that season or for the full 2 years that his contract was for a GM would never release the player due to them losing out twice then. better to keep the dud then to release and have nothing</font> however if you do it for the remainder of the season the GM loses out but not for long term.

What i like better is if that 10Million would just come right out of the finances of the GM's Team ... again not a full 2year value of 30million which is 0,1,2 year at 10M = 30m but just that one seasons salary ... dont want to cripple a team however you want them to not sign and release with no "punishment"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Now that Scott has said its not possible to code a no release policy, i think we need to consider it as a league rule. I'm not sure about league rules that exist in #31 but i don't see how this would be any different. As long as everyone is aware of the rule before they join the league i don't see it as a problem.

I really feel that this would add so much to the game that it would be worth the few headaches it causes.

dicky

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ok im heavily against this idea,

let me first state that if there was some way to make contracts gauranteed that would be fantastic, however

not being allowed to release is not going to be a good thing in my opinion, such things as rookies may need to be released cause as it stands a rookie stays on your team for 2 seasons so you could have 2 rooks plus 2 sophmores that you actually dont want, also when we first get our teams there will be players we wont want (i also believe the rosters are quite long to start with) and when players pop up in free agency (created players) if we have no space on our teams then they wont get picked up it would also start to make anything other than 1 for 1 and 2 for 2 trades etc impossible in my opinion the only thing this will create is less player movement which in my opinion (again [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) leads to a less interesting league.

now one thing i think should be implemented at the start of the league is all players on free agency should have extended waivers until everyone has got their team so that everyone has a fair shot at them and the teams that get there first dont automatically get the free agent talent

just my thoughts [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I see your point 4Horseman but we can still get around this. It's the cutting of the longterm deals (over 1yr) that really gets to me. What say we just let anyone on a 1yr contract be released? That would cover rookies plus anyone you initally had allocated to your squad but would still make GMs think hard about giving longterm 10yr deals. If we still want to keep/honour 1 yr deals then I'm sure we could work in 7day release periods for rookies etc.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

this i think would be a great idea, as leo has stated make any deal with 1 or 0 years left non gauranteed but anything over 1 gauranteed if this coudl be enforced i would love it, and i think it would suit everyone [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<font size="3"><font color="yellow"> So lets start discussing the following options that people have brought up and see if anyone else has any different ideas or add on's to whats already been suggested.</font>

a. 70,000,000 Hard Cap meaning you cannot go over this amount for any reason. If a trade or free agent signing would take you over the cap the action could not be completed however draft picks would take you over and then it would be your ability to release or make room somehow. (70M is just a number used in the example and the true salary cap has not been decided up as of yet)

b. Only players on 0 or 1 year contracts can be released as well as a rookie that is placed on the team on a 2 year contract. This could be made to only 0 year contracts if so decided upon by the league. Remember this would be a league rule and prior to the league starting every GM would have to agree on these rules as well as any GM wanting to get into the league after it has started.</font>

c. How can we fix the DL stashing problem ... again do we want to make something that says a player must be off the DL after so many days of him being un-injuried ... what are some ideas on this

<font color="#000002" size="1">[ November 16, 2004 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Fasttracker ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

b. Only players on 0 or 1 year contracts can be released as well as a rookie that is placed on the team on a 2 year contract. This could be made to only 0 year contracts if so decided upon by the league. Remember this would be a league rule and prior to the league starting every GM would have to agree on these rules as well as any GM wanting to get into the league after it has started.
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica"><font color="white"> What are we trying to stop ... i guess i would like to know that. Is that we dont want to see guys signed to 7 year deals and then dropped 20 days later?

If thats the case then does the same go for a guy signed on a 0,1,2 year contract and released ... is what we want is just that if a GM signs a guy he is stuck with a guy to make it more realistic?

Again im just asking to see what the major issue is to help clarify everything and allow me to understand more on the topic at hand.
    </font>

<font color="#000002" size="1">[ November 16, 2004 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Fasttracker ]</font>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast