Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1. SALARY CAP: $75,000,000 (See below)

2. TRAINS PER DAY: No limmit (See below)

3. COACHES/TRAINERS: 50 Coaches, 32 trainers. If there are too many trainers ppl can just picking up new trainer to check their players vitals untill they know every attribute.

4. BANK: $50 mil. It would be good to start everyone off with plenty of $$. But we don't want to give everyone so much money they don't have to every worry about the business side of the game.

5. ROSTER SIZE: 18

6. PLAYOFF SERIES LENGTH: 5. Seven is just too long for the ppl who don't make the play offs. It can take almost a month to get through the play offs and non playoff teams just lose interest.

This is what i posted on the Sim Basketball hostboard about salary cap/training:

Would i would like to see is guaranteed contracts, since this is not possible hows this for an idea.
    Set a hard salary cap at say 75mil (hang on stumpy hear me out), but remove the release function in the locker room. What this would mean is that sure you could have a salary of 75mil but you would be stuck with it. What this would allow is for salary cap space to become highly valuable. So like in the nba players with 0 year contracts would become highly valuable.

It would also:
    stop ridiculously long contracts
    Make people think about too much training (if we did allow unlimited training)
    If you give a guy a five year deal train him heaps, once he went on hold out he would stay there until you did something to free up cap room (eg trade to someone with some cap room).
    Bad teams that kept some cap room could become very good teams very quickly.

The best way to do this would be to remove the drop button in the locker room. I don't know if thats possible if it is not, we would all have to agree to a league rule of no releasing players with the possible exceptions of draft picks. I know it would be difficult to get everyone to agree to it but i think that this would add so much more deapth to the game. Scott has always said the game can't be too complicated for for the newbies but this is a chance for us die hards to add some more complexities.

dicky

<font color="#000002" size="1">[ November 15, 2004 12:41 AM: Message edited by: dickyKnee. ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm all for that, would be a completely different game if contracts were guaranteed. We've talked about it for so long and this looks to be the best opportunity.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

salary cap : 75 mil

trains per day : 4

coaches / trainers : 50 / 35

bank : 100 mil

roster size : 18

playoff games : 5 - 7 makes the off season too long for half the league

like the idea of not being able to release players - though you would want to be able to resign players on 0 year contracts - even if you only offered them a 0 year contract in the first place. You want to have some chance of gaugeing how a player will perform before being stuck with them.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fasttracker emailed me with some of the options being discussed here, and I thought I would just copy / paste from his email and answer if things were possible...

1. Could we have a hard cap where we cant go over 60million even when signing players
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">I think so, yes, with conditions. If the cap violation was set to 0, that would force teams to sign UNDER the cap, trade UNDER the cap, etc. The exceptions would typically be methods by which a team can get over the 'hard' cap now. So, draft choices could take you over the cap.

2. Could the release button go away
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">No, sorry, no can do on this one. No matter what, releases cannot go away.

3. Could contract years be taken down from 9 to lets say 4 or 5 so no one can do long term contracts anymore
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">Again, some of these requests are basic game changes and are not configurable through parameters. This is another. Aside from any system wide changes that may come in the future, I can't set one league to do certain things. Anything like this would need to be on the honor system. That is not to say that both player releases and contract years could not be policed by the league itself with punishments imposed on case by case basis'. Thing is, I can't be punishing teams every day because they released players.

4. Could you only sign so many players a season even if subscribed
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">Again, unfortunately, this is not something that is throttled using parameters, so, I am going to have to say that like the previous two would have to be monitored by a league commissioner.

5. Could a players salary being released from a team be subtracted from the front office bank account ...
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">Again, sorry, but no.

I think that in a lot of these questions there is a trend to change the game beyond what it was meant to do. Almost all of these would require coding changes to the game, to include options that quite frankly will probably be specific to this league, and will rarely, if ever, be adopted by another.

As I mentioned, nearly all of these, however, could be monitored by a league commissioner. The only problem with that is that you will end up having someone who keeps trying to get away with something, and therefore, I will have to keep imposing punishments on that team... or an owner will simply forget that the rules are different and accidentally violate them.

In summary, I think that some of this league planning is getting complex. I appreciate that everyone wants a different experience, but, as of this time, that difference can only really go so far. Making too many changes is going to have a large impact on the league. It is difficult to forsee what kind of impact will be realized.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Now that Scott has cleared that up, I think we just need to run on the honor system like L31 does. I am all for guaranteed contracts, but if Scott can't code it, we just make it a rule of the game. We have had no problems in L31 with the rules, and I wouldn't expect any here as long as people agree to them before they start. I think guaranteed contracts will force GM's to think hard about their signings and will eliminate the need to enforce a rule about the length of contract. Only an idiot would sign a player to a 10 year contract without knowing a lot about that player - if a GM in this league does it, too bad, they are stuck with them.

The other thing I would like to see is a hard cap as has already been suggested. 70 million. Thats it, no going over, not even for trades etc. or if you have the $ to cover the cap expense.

I would also like to see no stashing of players on the DL, which in my opinion is a crutch. Players go on the DL when injured and come off when they are healthy, no questions asked.

As for trains, cash etc.. and all that, whatever money we decide is all right by me, but what is the point of increasing the number of trains per day? Players still have a ceiling on their potential, so what are we achieving by increasing the number of trains?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1) Salary Cap= i think it should be 65-67 mill. i think having it stuck at 60 long term isnt as much fun as it could be.

2) Trains per day= I am fine with 2 trains per day, but would be open to a max of 4 per day.

3) Coaches and Trainers= I think if this is a hardcore league and will want to retain GMs long term, there should be 32-40 coaches and the 30-35 trainers. For any team to be successfull long term with training knowing more then 2 gaps for each player is a must.

4) Bank= I think the idea of 50-100 mill will help out so much. So I vote for anywhere between 50-100mill

5) Roster Size= 16-18 players would be the max I would prefer.

6) Playoff Length= I am a huge fan of the 7 game series, I honestly dont like the 5 game series, its too easy to lose with 1 injury.

Now I think between each other keeping owners honest about not cutting players already under contract can be done, especially if this league is filled with GMs like ourself who care about the overall interest in that particular league.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

70 mill sounds good im not to keen on anything to much more than that

2 trains is more than enough i feel but i would guess that 4 would be ok however after that it becomes more about who can make the most money and then train the most etc

40+ coaches and 33+ trainers would be excellent in my opinion

starting cash doesnt concern me to much im all for 50-100 mill

16 is big enough for a max and as for the DL whatever you like really 3 i think is a reasonable number

playoffs i prefer 5 game series but i will deal with 7 in my stride if that becomes the concensus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can't understand why people think they would need $70 million or more. If this is a newly generated league, there'll be no talent, and under the potential system there'll be no way to create massive amounts of it either. Most of us will have trouble finding $60 million worth of talent to put on our roster. $70 million is just unnecessary!

As for series length, seven is just tedious. There's a reason why L25 universally asked Scott to change it back to five ... the playoffs just drag on for too long. Have the people asking for seven games actually experienced a league with them? If it's going to be seven, I don't think I'll get involved because it's just too slow.

I also strongly agree with enforcing no releasing of players with more than one year remaining.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12