Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Week 11

It's the rematch week! Most of you have played each other before, mainly in week 5. If you lost last time, now's your chance for sweet, beautiful revenge!

1. Ron vs. Murray: Last time these two played, Murray won easily, 72-54. But that was back when Arizona was playing well and Minnesota was scoring some points. Now, backed by San Diego's unstoppable offense, the Ronbot could be looking to even the score. For Murray, this game is deeply important, as a win here -- and loss by Darren -- could put Murray a stone's throw from the playoffs, depending on his points. We'll see what happens.

2. Megan vs. Anthony: Ugh. One week after scoring nearly 100 points against The Entirely Computer Generated Jose, Anthony faces a tough game against Megan. A win here keeps him one step ahead of Jose in division B, and a lot of the playoff seeding there could come down to points. Megan, meanwhile, needs a win to hold onto her top spot in the other division; a loss here, and a Ronbot win, and she'll drop to second place for the first time in months. An important game for three teams.

3. Jon vs. Darren: A rematch from week 5. Last time, Darren beat Jon, 63-58. Darren, a game out of the playoffs, needs a victory and Ronbot loss to move back into second place. Playoff seeding in that division could come down to points, as well. If Jon ever wanted to play spoiler, now would be the time.

4. Jeri vs. Jose: The do-or-die game for Jeri. A win here, and she is almost guaranteed a playoff spot; after this week, she could conceivably drop her remaining two games, and still get into the playoffs on points. Pretty surprising. A loss, however, leaves her vulnerable to Anthony and Jose (and me, assuming I score like a fiend in the next three weeks). Jose, meanwhile, needs this game to continue jockeying with Anthony for that last place spot. Here come the robots!

5. Rob vs. MJ: Also a rematch from week 5. In that game, I won, 51-45. Now though, I am essentially in the same place, ironically, that Rob was in at this point last year; mathematically still eligible for the playoffs, but something of a long shot. I need to essentially needs to play perfect football -- and hope for some losses from Anthony and Jose -- to have a shot at the playoffs. Unlikely? Who knows. Meanwhile, at 3-5 with two damaging ties, Rob, like Jon, is also playing spoiler. Revenge is a dish best served with a loss that throws you out of playoff contention!

There it is. These next three weeks will be key for most of you, so good luck. Also, we're adding a rules variant, which I'll explain in a post below. Drama!

Inactive Member SlaycitySlayers's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

Actually Mike, I'm hoping for a Tie!

QB: [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] Cincinatti Bengals (I didn't pick them last week and it cost me. Oh did it cost me.)

WR: [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] Seattle Seahawks (The Vaunted 4 Reciever offense)

RB: [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img] Washington Redskins (A general goes to war with the army he's got)

K: [img]graemlins/star.gif[/img] St. Louis Rams (They are star. A bright shining star)

TD: [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img] Kansas City Chiefs (Probably the day Oakland decides to have a 50 pt game)

TS: [img]graemlins/grrr.gif[/img] Pittsburg Steelers (Those motherfuckers!)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So you know how, in virtually every recap, I ramble about how someone could potentially fall out of first place in their division, if they lose a given game? And you know how I make it sound like a terrible, terrible thing if that happens? But if you think about it, it doesn't really make much of a difference, does it?

Well, it does now.

Since only the top two-seeded teams make it into the playoffs, it never really mattered if a team finished first or second, as long as they finished anywhere in the top two. There was never an incentive for getting that top spot. Now, there is.

One new rule: the team that finishes first in their division gets an extra three (3) points added onto their final score in their playoff matchup. In virtually every sport, the best team usually gets some perk in the playoffs: in football, you get an automatic bye; in basketball, you play the worst team, etc. I see no reason why we shouldn't have the same thing. Call it the home field advantage.

(So, if the season were to end today, Megan would play Ron in the division A playoffs -- and get the bonus three points onto her score, while Jeri would play Anthony, and get the same benefit. The teams could still win, or lose, in a blowout, but a close game might favor the #1 seed.)

There you have it. I think this provides a little more incentive to win -- or keep -- that top seed. Because in all things in life except sex, it pays to finish first. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This rule would've have been awesome last year.

- Old Man Snap, CEO and President of the Jersey Jons, who like being spoilers. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Um, well. Yeah. Hindsight is 20-20 and all that. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Inactive Member SlaycitySlayers's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ahem! What about my first round draft pick for next year for finishing last?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

> Ahem! What about my first round draft pick for next year for finishing last?

Ha! Nice try, Rob. Murray and Jeri finished the season last year at 3-8, and look where they are now. Keep hope alive, man! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's Jeri's lineup:

QB: SD
    RB: Carolina. (what happened? what happened? yeesh.)
    WR: NO (riding this horse forever)
    KS: Carolina
    TS: Cinci.
    TD: Minn. (why)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)