Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Week 13

Welcome back. The final week of the regular season is over. Three terrible teams from last year made it to the playoffs, three of the best teams from last year didn't and everyone is chasing the rookie owner from New Jersey. Humankind once again triumphed over the robots, and here are the scores!

1. Megan 87, Darren 75: A rare, high-scoring game, and a tough loss for Lendonian Supremacy. Since the infamous "tie-break rule" two weeks ago, the Supremacy has been on a downward slide, and last week's loss killed their playoff chances for good. You're gonna have to change that Hostboard screen name, Lenda! The Megamaniacs, meanwhile, won handily in a game that didn't mean anything to them anyway. Yikes.

2. Ron 58, Jon 37: In a weird way, the Jersey Jons have proven to be one of the most consistent teams this year. In a weird way.

3. Anthony 52, Jeri 47: A game Anthony's team needed to win. The win solidifies their place in the playoffs, just a few scant weeks after an Anthony rant kicked that team into high gear. Very impressive. This game is also essentially a preview of this week's game, because Jeri and Anthony face off again in the playoffs. Can I go back to "Cooking with Gas" now?

4. Jose 73, Rob 54: A solid -- if utterly irrelevant -- win by the Borg Experience. Jose could have gotten into the playoffs if he won and Jeri beat Anthony, but Anthony's win over the Upstarts shut that door for good. The Experience seemed like one of the few teams from last year that would have made it to the playoffs, but the end proved otherwise. Thanks for playing, Jo; you haven't said a word all season! [img]wink.gif[/img]

5.Murray 51, MJ 41: Murray needed a victory here and he got it. Team Venture has been quietly assembling wins all season, and a cake game against the Very Gross Miscarriage of Justice pushed them over the top. A loss, coupled with a Ronbot win, would have shoved them out of the second place, but that didn't happen. Meanwhile, my team was bad. As a reward, Murray's team now has to face the best team in the league, and play from three points behind. Someone cue the Rocky music! Or not, because those movies are implausible!

And that, as they say, is that. Thanks to everyone for playing, and hopefully we'll do this again next year. Meanwhile, for the four other teams, what kind of beer do you want?

(Also, unlike last year, I'm going to keep the playoff and championship stuff public, so everyone can see how the whole thing shakes out. Because of course you're dying to know.)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Also, here's an example of a few names for Anthony's team that I had prepared, but never got to use. Damn you, Seda!

1. Cooking with a Bunsen Burner
    2. Cooking with Bunsen Burner on Low Heat
    3. Cooking with a Couple of Matches, and Maybe Some Tin Foil
    4. Cooking with You Know How, When Rub Your Hands Together? That Heat? Cooking with That
    5. Cooking with Ice
    6. Cooking with Hope

There were others, of course -- Cooking with Diesel Fuel, Cooking with a Blast Furnace, Cooking with Magma -- but those weren't as funny. [img]wink.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 05, 2006 08:21 PM: Message edited by: mjay ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

We Fremen have a saying: "God created Hostboard and Mike Jackson to train the faithful." One cannot go against the word of God.

Good luck to you, Jeri, for the sleeper has awakened.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Comedian Bill Burr has one of the best lines about Rocky Balboa. All of Philly has idolized a fictional white thug Italian from nowhere for 30-plus years now, because Rocky is a no-good bun winner and we're all no-good bum winners in Philadelphia, damnit!

That's not his line. But you should find his stuff online or search for his rant on YouTube against dumb Philly fans who booed his routine at a show earlier this year.

So do the playoff teams have to post their lineups, now? How does this work?

We're oh so excited to find out who the potential champ will be.

My money's on Apollo Creed, from the, um, first movie.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I hear you. Beating a huge, steroided out Russian guy was one thing, but this time, Antonio Friggin Tarver plays the other guy. Tarver was the light heavyweight champion for years and is the first dude to knock out Roy Jones, Jr. He's not a pushover.

A 60-something year old man is going to beat up Antonio Tarver? Apparently this actually happens in Philly. Go Iggles! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

&gt; So do the playoff teams have to post their lineups, now? How does this work?

The next couple of weeks are just like the rest of the regular season; everyone has to submit their lineups before the games, etc.

The two winners this week go on to the championship next Sunday. And then someone will win beer. Yay!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Congrats Megan! That's a helluva lineup! I cried uncle as soon as I saw you had 81 points in your first three categories. 81 was the best I could have done total, and that was only if I picked all my teams exactly right.

Oh how the fickle schedule maker made destiny. If only I could have played my last two opponents in the opposite order, I'd have made the playoffs. Of course, that would mean facing Megan in the first round with a three point bonus and getting embarrassingly stomped on, so no biggie.

&gt;Someone cue the Rocky music! Or not, because those movies are implausible!

This is Murray's first game in the big show. Rocky lost his first try. Get ready for a cleat in the eye, Murray!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ever feel like you came into the room in the middle of a conversation?

*slowly backing away*

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

QB: Dallas
    RB: Cincinnati
    WR: Cincinnati