Thread: MIDI seems to interfere with audio

Eduk

I had a problem with recording audio and eventually pinned down what it was about. The audio records beautifully, sounds great, but then when I sequence some MIDI drums it gets badly distorted. When I use the click it's fine. I can now work around this now I know what it is.
    I'm using the EWS with an external mixer and monitoring through the external mixer.
    Another question: I am using "polling" mode which I found recommended somewhere to get good audio sync. Is this necessary, or should I go back to using an interrupt?

Ed

P.S. I can read german posts if you want to write in german.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You should reduce the MIDI level in the EWS64 control panel to 90-100 if you get distorted records from the EWS synth. Activating 'Soft Clip' can also be useful to reduce distortion.

Normally it's better to use the EWS synth with an IRQ (strongly recommended from Terratec) for accurate audio timing.

Regards
    Werner

Eduk

Thanks for your reply Werner. I'm using the EWS with Cubase 3.7 and not many of the control panel features appear to do much. I couldn't find anything moving from 90-100. But I'll try reducing the volume in Cubase and I'll try my synchronisation with an interrupt.

best,

Ed.

Eduk

I've now put Cubase back on an interrupt and it seems to be syching fine. When I first started using Cubase I didn't differentiate between timing changes during a track and fixed delays. I'll see how it goes using an interrupt.

Eduk

I've now put Cubase back on an interrupt and it seems to be syching fine. When I first started using Cubase I didn't differentiate between timing changes during a track and fixed delays. I'll see how it goes using an interrupt.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You can adjust the MIDI Playback Level with the slider 'SYN/VOL' of the 'Virtual Channels'.

Regards
    Werner

Eduk

I now understand what you were talking about. Some of the levels in "control panel" are 20 to -40dB and some are 0-100 (or something like that). I've put my sound channels back on an interrupt and that's fine and my distortion problem has gone. In fact, it's all working great.