Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EWS 64 Drivers ---- WHEN ????????????

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

Arnoud,

Ok, I agree with you, but I don't apologize for anything. IMO ( I don't want to break any rules now ) there should be free speech for everyone on a message board, that's what they're there for. What sense does it make for everyone to "jerk" off about how well the EWS works for them. But Ok, You guys set the rules and I will stick to them. So, if ANYONE wants to continue this conversation, E-MAIL me.

As for stability, my System IS clean, EVERYTHING works fine. Absolutely no problems. All I intended to say was that I felt left out from Terratec for not finalizing their Drivers. You say it's common to leave Drivers in Beta State. Ok but why do Terratec then email me (us) and promise further development. THIS is calling for response if they don't stick to their promises.

but ok, if you think that topics like this don't belong here, then tell me what the use of this board is. If you want to take this subject apart, then things like Hardware issues shouldn't belong here either. Is this board only for people to whack off about how cool their Card works ???? Also, I thought this is the only decent board to post messages like that. If anyone has problems with USING their card, Then RTFM !!!!

I don't want to cause any bother with this, so please don't take it personal and like I said, I'll stick to the rules, just had to reply to your message.

Shadowfall...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

one of the presupposed of win2000
    is legacy removal(out isa,old I/O system),it is reasonable that terratec favors the development in win2k,but ews 64 is good card(midi,softsynth),also like second card,the terratec development is good development,I am much satisfying of mine ews,I have changed many systems(p166,p2/266,p3/450 now overclocked to 504Mhz)always
    with my ews always without problems ,now win2k imposes remarkable changes,bat system with win95/98 there will be still a lot time

sorry for my bad english
    Daniele a Italian ews64xl user

[This message has been edited by daniele (edited April 22, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by daniele (edited April 22, 2000).]

Inactive Member Gustavo Coronel Boselli's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy

Dear Terratec Users, I agree with all people who complain about new Drivers release.

I have the Terratec 64XL since April 98 and
    at that moment I used the first beta version of Ed!son.
    I know there was a big improve in the new Edson, because the v1.63 beta 3 is much better and stable than earlier versions, but have lots of problems too...
    - Problems importing AKAI and SF2 files
    - Problems to load soundbanks converted from SF2 with the Sounbank manager
    - Problems working Edson with big waveforms
    -etc.
    I have sent some emails to Terratec asking about EDSON?s new version but they NEVER answered me.

I remember when I wanted to know something about EWS 88 MT: the Terratec Team inmediately answered me respect my doubts, even the most stupid things I had ever asked about a soundcard, but when I started asking about the EWS 64XL's Stuff, Edson, etc. they answered me only once the last year.

But the use of the Terratec importing SF2 files is really bad, you know? When I use
    Akai CD Extract v3.00 to convert Akai sounds in SF2 files that are readable in Edson, but try to load that converted soundsets with the soundset manager that soundbanks can not be loaded. Think if I use the AKAI import function of the Edson...
    is imposible to obtain something audible.

Why did I sell my AKAI S1100? Because I thought that could be replaced by the new and expensive TT EWS64 XL, with Akai sound libary compatibility, the first in the market and the worse today in that subject(I mean that a SB live Full I have installed in another computer can use the files created by the Akai CD Xtract properly and maybe better than a Gigasampler, because of Roland S 760 sample library compatibility).
    At least, I want SF2 campatibility, or maybe if I could use the Nemesys Gigasampler with the Terratec 64XL without crashing...
    I only could use the Gigasampler with the EWS 88 MT, with the latest drivers, but avoid installing the MT88 Control Panel (that cause Gigasampler crashes) and deactivating the codec, because the wstream.dll cause a protection error in the MMtask module (Windows98), because there are diferent versions of wstream dll and vxd files made by Broktree (original TT drivers)and Rockwell corp.(Gigasampler drivers).

Why do I have to re-program the Akai sounds with lots of work and tuning or filtering multisamples if with SF2 compatibility could solve the problems? I need the Terratec support for that motive. I have mentioned, as they told me in the lase email,the name of the Akai CDROMs that not work, the problems I found explained in a detailed way, etc. but they didn't asnswer me.
    I have paid u$S 1,000 for the Terratec in Argentina!!! That is too much and I don't have an XXL, but only XL.

The soundcard has a terrific potential, I have created acoustic guitars of 24 Megabytes based on Akai Samples, that sound clear and spectacularly, like a real sampler, but in some cases I need recover the original/factory parameters to obtain the real sense and quality of the sounds, for example in acoustic pianos...
    Or maybe have the opportunity to use the 64XL with Nemesys Gigasampler to avoid programming a lot. Is that too much, some Impossible? I don?t think so.

Maybe if I could have more sound libraries for the Terratec , not only Techno based, I would be more satisfied with the EWS 64.

I can?t believe how a cheap soundcard like the SB Live! can use Akai sounds, can have a huge sound library (even the Emu systems support), good sound editors(vienna SF)and a better SC (Terratec)professionally oriented hasn't.

If somebody can use the sounds converted with the Akai CD Xtract, please, tell me.

Good luck for everybody and thanks for reading...

PD: Sorry for my bad English, I speak Spanish

------------------

Inactive Member Gustavo Coronel Boselli's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy

Dear Terratec Users, I agree with all people who complain about new Drivers release.

I have the Terratec 64XL since April 98 and
    at that moment I used the first beta version of Ed!son.
    I know there was a big improve in the new Edson, because the v1.63 beta 3 is much better and stable than earlier versions, but have lots of problems too...
    - Problems importing AKAI and SF2 files
    - Problems to load soundbanks converted from SF2 with the Sounbank manager
    - Problems working Edson with big waveforms
    -etc.
    I have sent some emails to Terratec asking about EDSON?s new version but they NEVER answered me.

I remember when I wanted to know something about EWS 88 MT: the Terratec Team inmediately answered me respect my doubts, even the most stupid things I had ever asked about a soundcard, but when I started asking about the EWS 64XL's Stuff, Edson, etc. they answered me only once the last year.

But the use of the Terratec importing SF2 files is really bad, you know? When I use
    Akai CD Extract v3.00 to convert Akai sounds in SF2 files that are readable in Edson, but try to load that converted soundsets with the soundset manager that soundbanks can not be loaded. Think if I use the AKAI import function of the Edson...
    is imposible to obtain something audible.

Why did I sell my AKAI S1100? Because I thought that could be replaced by the new and expensive TT EWS64 XL, with Akai sound libary compatibility, the first in the market and the worse today in that subject(I mean that a SB live Full I have installed in another computer can use the files created by the Akai CD Xtract properly and maybe better than a Gigasampler, because of Roland S 760 sample library compatibility).
    At least, I want SF2 campatibility, or maybe if I could use the Nemesys Gigasampler with the Terratec 64XL without crashing...
    I only could use the Gigasampler with the EWS 88 MT, with the latest drivers, but avoid installing the MT88 Control Panel (that cause Gigasampler crashes) and deactivating the codec, because the wstream.dll cause a protection error in the MMtask module (Windows98), because there are diferent versions of wstream dll and vxd files made by Broktree (original TT drivers)and Rockwell corp.(Gigasampler drivers).

Why do I have to re-program the Akai sounds with lots of work and tuning or filtering multisamples if with SF2 compatibility could solve the problems? I need the Terratec support for that motive. I have mentioned, as they told me in the lase email,the name of the Akai CDROMs that not work, the problems I found explained in a detailed way, etc. but they didn't asnswer me.
    I have paid u$S 1,000 for the Terratec in Argentina!!! That is too much and I don't have an XXL, but only XL.

The soundcard has a terrific potential, I have created acoustic guitars of 24 Megabytes based on Akai Samples, that sound clear and spectacularly, like a real sampler, but in some cases I need recover the original/factory parameters to obtain the real sense and quality of the sounds, for example in acoustic pianos...
    Or maybe have the opportunity to use the 64XL with Nemesys Gigasampler to avoid programming a lot. Is that too much, some Impossible? I don?t think so.

Maybe if I could have more sound libraries for the Terratec , not only Techno based, I would be more satisfied with the EWS 64.

I can?t believe how a cheap soundcard like the SB Live! can use Akai sounds, can have a huge sound library (even the Emu systems support), good sound editors(vienna SF)and a better SC (Terratec)professionally oriented hasn't.

If somebody can use the sounds converted with the Akai CD Xtract, please, tell me.

Good luck for everybody and thanks for reading...

PD: Sorry for my bad English, I speak Spanish

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Gustavo,in Download section of EWS Control Panel a new unofficial set manager whit SF2 loader!
    Thanks to Arnoud de Jong

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

PLEASE, WE HOLD CRITICS AND PERSONAL COMMENTS OUTSIDE FROM THIS FORUM

EXCUSES AND THANKSS TO ALL

peace and good music to all

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

Hi all,
    This is the first long thread on this forum smile. And to answer some other people in this discussion: it is NOT the intention of this board to allow only statements that tell us 'how good the card is' and 'how satisfied' we all are. Open discussion and criticism are allowed. I ONLY want to avoid that endless and pointless tirades we have seen in the mailing list.
    In this thread I've also contributions of people that are not completely satisfied, but at least take the trouble of documenting their problem and the efforts they made to solve the problem. I call that constructive contributions. So I hope you all understand me well here: I want to spare you all those pointless postings with negative one-liners and soundbytes like the famous (or notorious): "When will f** Terrortec do this or that..." smile.
    A next time (when I'm less busy) I will try to explain (as far as I know) why some promises were not fullfilled with the EWS.
    Keep smiling, even when listening to your own music :-),
    Arnoud.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

This is a copy of an e-mail I sent to terratec today. I'd like to know what you think about it (open source drivers - doesn't it sound good?)
    Also, if you agree with me, why don't you tell to Terratec?

--------------------------------

Dear Terratec,

will ever ASIO drivers for EWS64XL come out to light?
    Such drivers weren't updated since last year, and beta 3 is quite far from being stable!
    I played a few with them, experiencing severe timing problems, crackling audio and so on.
    Also, it seems that only VST can see the EWS as an ASIO soundcard, other software (for example, my beloved Buzz) simply do not treat it as an ASIO soundcard.
    I am a programmer and -honestly- I think I've tried each and every setting (polling mode, interrupt mode, latency, hardware buffers disabled....and the list could continue), but simply the ASIO drivers do not work (or goes blue screen). I don't think that this is happening only to me (browsing the EWS-related forums can confirm this), and is hard to think that you received no feedback!
    Being a software developer, I know that firms focus their attention to their NEW products (it's human and understandable), so -realistically- I don't expect much improvement on my "aged" soundcard.
    So, if this does not infringe any company secret etc., why don't you release your latest drivers as Open Source? If you consider what has been done with Buzz by the programmer/musicians community?.you could even have ASIO drivers for Linux 

More seriously, this could guarantee your aficionados EWS'rs (like me) that invested A LOT OF MONEY for an EXPENSIVE ISA card (!!!!!!!) and were crazy enough to expand it to 64Mb (and found that your SetManager could not load Megabytes bank? funny, isn't it? - no it is not!) that new drivers WILL be released, and if these drivers do not work, it will be not Terratec fault! ("due piccioni con una fava")
    Last, but not least, this could dramatically raise the respect we have (or have not) for Terratec.

I know that this is just a Dream (no, not your chipset), but think about it (and -at least- please please please release a non-beta version/new version of your drivers).

Regards,
    mauro

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mauro,the documentation and the resources of the audio card with dsp dream they are covered to copyright and they are not of public dominion

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

People, people, people. Don't be desperate about the future of your beloved ISA-card. Just trust the terratec-uk website. There you'll find these statements that'll calm you down

EWS 64
    - Built for the Future.
    ...the ISA bus of the PC which uses the latest chip technology to provide optimum harmonising with a modern BIOS and operating system.
    Programmable DSP, optimised for all kinds of audio applications including multi effects.
    The powerful DSP architecture of the EWS 64 XL allows you to allocate different effect algorithms to any combination of audio sources in real-time. These algorithms are uploaded from the host PC and there will be continual development of new algorithms by both TerraTec and third party developers. This is a facility that, to date, could only be found in dedicated pro audio systems costing many times more than the EWS 64 XL.

Looks like this card is still a SERIOUS COMPETITOR for the CreamWare Pulsar card.

(end of troll)
    (did I use abusive language?)
    (isn't it time to start a real stress-TT page on this site with all the promises of terratec that still didn't came true?)

--
    Cubase 6. Now with natural emulation of vintage EWS64-11kHz bandnoise, ISA-chopping of sound, and groovy timing inaccuracies. Watch www.steinberg.net !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast