Thread: the fastest mainboard with ISA for upgrade...

saugnapf

Every ews user who neds to upgrade his PC has the same problem: New Mainboards come without ISA Slot. But i looked around and found the Biostar M7MIA mainboard which uses the AMD-761 Northbridge with the VIA 686B Southbridge. It has 5 PCI and on ISA !!! slot and it is compatible with the AMD XP CPU's (since Rev. 2.0) and it uses DDR-Ram.
    If you want to have the fastest ISA-Mainboard go for it.
    There are only one or two alternatives with ISA if you want to use the new Intel P3-Tulatin- CPU's (which overclock quite well (my celeron 1200 did 1488Mhz@124Mhz FSB). Look at the MSI-Website for it.

Since it took me a lot of time to find these Mainboard i thougt i let you know...

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i have been looking at one of the Tyan boards. I believe it is the 230T or something simmilar. Dual P3 and one ISA. Not the newest but it looks promising.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi!

I'm using an Epox 8KTA3+Pro with 6 PCI and 1 ISA slots and a VIA KT133A chipset, raid controler onboard, 2 SDRAM and 2 DDR RAM banks. You can upgrade up to Athlon XP 2000+ (higher values to come by BIOS update). I've tried a Gigabyte GA-7ZXR Rev.1 before, but it's only up to 1200MHz.

Greetings, Honki-Bobo

------------------

saugnapf

The Epox 8KTA3+Pro uses like you already wrote the KT133A Chipset which is not capable of handling DDR-Ram (it has 4 banks for SD-Ram) Especially when using faster Athlons (XP) SD-Ram limits the CPU-speed.
    The Biostar is as far i know the only Athlon board with DDR-Ram and therefore the fastest Athlon-Base.

------------------