Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: 902-8b bug screens

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Big Woofers's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2005
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    To all,

    I have heard that if you remove the bug screens from the 902-8b driver that the HF becomes more extened. I have searched this site, but i did not find any instructions on how to do this?

    Could any of you please help? Is this recommended?

    Big Woofers

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    I have heard claims like that, too, but have never met anyone who could prove it.

    But I could be wrong... forums

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member jmarkwart's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Big,

    Use an Exacto knife to cut an "X" across the screen, then, one after another, grasp the edges of the cut screen with needle nosed pliers or a medical clamp and gently pull the screen out of its mounting slot. In my experience with both 800 and 900 series drivers, the screens come out quite easily.
    I think the drivers sound cleaner and crisper with their bug screens removed.

    Jeff

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Big Woofers's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2005
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    To All,

    I will attempt to remove the screens this weekend. i don't believe that i will have much trouble with bugs, my wife is a clean freak.

    Thanks for your help

    Big Woofers

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Exclamation

    I have the reverse problem. I want to see if I can buy new screens from GPA for replacements.

    I have at least two drivers where the screen has come out over the years. Also would like replacement gaskets.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member dgwojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    172
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm leaving my screens in, when I built three drivers from parts, I noticed that leaving the screen out causes play in the throat, I wouldn't want that to start resonating on me!! I ended up using a drop of super glue to steady the throat, Dave.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Richard C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi all...

    I would cut the screens out of all my drivers "IF" I could be sure that a spider wouldn't build a nest inside. I have seen spider nests in some strange places, and I sure wouldn't like to clean out all that white fuzz from the phase plug area. IF it could all be cleaned out!

    I guess I would have to play them LOUD every day to discourage spiders!

    Richard C.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I guess I would have to play them LOUD every day to discourage spiders!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, the "every day" part wouldn't be too much of a burden. Maybe if you used a Hip-Hop selection it wouldn't need to be all that loud, either! I think spiders might be cultured enough to be readily offended . . . forums

  9. #9
    Inactive Member gearjammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2002
    Posts
    96
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I had a listen to a pair of 19,s with 902,s that had the screens removed and they did sound very extended and smooth? But it was not a A-B test just a quick taste test.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Russellc's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2003
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a set of 902 8Bs and removed the screens with a small improvement. The screen is just glued in place behind the gasket. Not sure if its worth having the inards exposed to whatever the magnets can **** in there, but no problems to report. I found a larger improvement from removing the loading caps and placing an altec felt insert in the back of the removable rear cap. I understand a few 902 8Bs didn't have loading caps, or perhaps someone already removed them. Whatever, its more improvement than removing bug screens in the treble department.

    Russellc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.