Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I implemented some basic tweaks to my stock Flamencos. I damped the horn with rope caulk followed by a layer of constrained layer damper (Dynamat Extreme). I used the rope caulk so as to allow easy removal of everything if it didn't work out. I also used a piece of weather stripping between the mounting flange and where the horn mounts to the cabinet. Last, for the horn that is, I used two small corks, one at each of the other corners of the mounting flange (bottom) to tie the bottom of the horn to the back of the front baffle. The corks were cut tight, wedged into place, and then drilled through the center to allow for screws with neoprene washers. The result is that the horn does not ring at all. I also braced the cabinets' sides and bottoms. I removed the 3" insulation from the back, bottom and rear, and replaced with 1" rigid acoustic fiberglass (Home Depot ceiling tile - removed the vinyl facing). I then sprayed a light coat of spray adhesive to lock the fibers in place, so I don't have fibers blowing all around my room. I also caulked all the joints on the inside. I used 3/16" weatherstripping to seal the back panel as well.

The result is more bass, much more. My small room probably has a lot to do with it but I definitely have more bass with a smoother overall (warm) presentation, which I like very much. There is a little less "tunefullness" with the bass, if that's the right word. I'm not sure if it's because of the room. The tweaks have taken up some of the internal volume, but I'd say no more than 0.19 cubic feet per cabinet or 333 cubic inches. Would this small decrease in volume affect the port in anyway?

Also, the basket to the 416Z rings. I always thougt (just assumed from all the posts) it was just the horn. However, an ear to the 416Z tells all immediately. I'll damp this as well. Anyone experience a ringing basket?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Seems like you and I are doing about the same things right now, fixing and tweaking.

The bracing will reduce the cab volume while the added acoustic glasfibre will increase the cab's virtual volume. I have the very same question in my thread (Optimum cab size for 416B). -How much does the high density glass fibre affect the virtual volume felt by the woofer.

If you had installed some spacers on the inside walls for the tiles to ride on, the damping effectivness would have improved quite a bit. With an airspace the tiles are free to vibrate = better transformation of kinetic energy in the soundwaves to heat = improved sound absorbtion and less sound bouncing out through the cone.

Suggestions for the basket ringing: adhesive bitume sheet is heavy with good absorbtion (same as is used on cars, metallic sheets etc. Non hardening model clay, we call it "Plastelina" in Sweden. Plumbers putty is another clay type thing that is sticky and not hardening and easy to take off if needed.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Seems like you and I are doing about the same things right now, fixing and tweaking.

The bracing will reduce the cab volume while the added acoustic glasfibre will increase the cab's virtual volume. I have the very same question in my thread (Optimum cab size for 416B). -How much does the high density glass fibre affect the virtual volume felt by the woofer.

If you had installed some spacers on the inside walls for the tiles to ride on, the damping effectivness would have improved quite a bit. With an airspace the tiles are free to vibrate = better transformation of kinetic energy in the soundwaves to heat = improved sound absorbtion and less sound bouncing out through the cone.

Suggestions for the basket ringing: adhesive bitume sheet is heavy with good absorbtion (same as is used on cars, metallic sheets etc. Non hardening model clay, we call it "Plastelina" in Sweden. Plumbers putty is another clay type thing that is sticky and not hardening and easy to take off if needed.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello;
    I have Flamenco cabs with 416-16z and 802/811 combo. I was wondering if you could give me some more details about the tweaks you are doing. The rope caulk, where are you ising it and have you done any cabinet bracing? Thanks
    Tim