Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

I'm wondering if anyone out there can answer this question: What is the difference between an Altec Lansing Bolero 890a and an 890c? I have come to understand that the 890c is highly regarded as a fine loudspeaker, but how close does the 890a come to the performance, sound, etc. of the 890c???

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this question. I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of 890a's, and I'm wondering how these speakers perform, especially compared to the 890c's.

Cheers!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi there.

I've never heard the 890a so I'm not going to be able to give you an opinion on how that model sounds. I am, however, listening to my Boleros (890Cs) and they sound great. I thought that Altec only made the Bolero in the 890b and 890c configs. I'd say pick them up if the price is right. They give good sound in a small package.
    I'm driving mine with a Teac tripath amp.

David

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There were some minor differences in the (406)woofers between the models, what I cannot say. The 890C had a formed plastic grille that may have acted soemwhat to disperse the HF. The horn in the C was a Heppner expodential horn, with a phenolic diaphragm similat to that in a EV T35.
    The A model, can't remember about the B, had a flat fabric covered grille with a 3000H tweeter. The 3000H probably had a slightly better extreme HF, but tended to beam some. The C model probably sounded some better in the mids with the larger HF horn. JIM