Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does anyone have suggestions for an upgrade to the N-800F Series crossover? The Flamencos (846A) utilize the 416Z, 806A, and 811B. Jeff Markwart doesn't know of anything other than possibly equalization of the compression driver and phase/time correction at the crossover. I do not know how to accomplish what's been suggested. Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also open to new cabinets and different crossovers if appropriate.

Thank you.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

C'mon GM... I know you can help me and you're local! I'm willing to pay... There's so much potential. I just don't know how to access that potential.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's a suggestion based on my limited knowledge about the various products that can do the job, but the items specified will work very well...

1.) Bi-amp the system.
    2.) Go to ebay and get a BIAMP SM-23 STEREO 2-WAY CROSSOVER - THEY'RE CHEAP - they have about a 12 dB slope, consistent with the passive. Make sure (because I can't recall) that they have phase adjust. Absent that get two BIAMP M/2V mono 2-WAY CROSSOVERs, I know they do.
    3.) To protect the 806 diaphragm from lo-end transients, insert appropriately sized non-polarized capacitor in the positive feed to the drivers.
    4.) To further protect the 806 diaphragms AND the 416z's insert appropriately sized fuses in the positive feed to the drivers.
    5.) Buy the stereo amps of your choice, make sure they have turn on muting. Check out Crown D-45 (for the highs) & Crown D-75 (for the lows) Power Amplifiers. Pricey new, but affordable.

Depending on the room size, you may want to up the amplifier wattage to get more clean power before clip - don't worry - you are fused!

All the components above will fit in a shallow 19" 4-space rack. Input devices will need a matrix type mixer for routing. If that doesn't trip your trigger, get a larger rack (6 space) to add a stereo 2/3 octave graphic and you will have more than enough control (read - gain stages everywhere). Larger amps may eat up another rack space or two.

The Altec passives are centered at 800Hz. These crossovers are front panel adjustable. My preference is to cross at 1300-1600. This keeps guitar highs and female vocalists on the 416 cone, allowing the 811/806 to provide more of detail. Crossing them higher lets you add a litlle more power. I used DYNACO 150's and the same devices for a P.A. for years.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is an old thread, but I wanted to ask a question in regard to the previous posts.

After a few choice moments with that nasty cutback tar, I have taken apart an N800F. I made a nice drawing but I cannot figure out what the values are on some of the components. My goal is to restore this pair of Altec studio monitors and I simply want to update the components in the crossover with quality caps, etc. I'm not looking to Biamp. This brings me to my question(s):

DOES ANYONE HAVE A SCHEMATIC FOR THE N800F? OR, DOES ANYONE KNOW THE VALUES OF THE COMPONENTS IN THE CROSSOVER?