Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OK I am not having much luck finding out anything about this unit so I will ask my question. The controls on the front are as follows Low -6/-3/0, Mid Bass -6/-3/0/+3+6, High -6/-3/0. What am I adjusting with these figures. I have attempted to do some reading about eq's but most of the info is pretty technical and way more information than I care to know. I was assuming the adjustment is in db?
    Thanks
    Tim

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I just recently acquired the same EQ and while I am not sure what the frequency bands are, I would assume the numbers are in dB. If that is true then minus 3dB is one half power applied to the same frequency band when at 0 and minus 6 is one quarter the power. Plus dB's would work the same only in reverse, i.e., twice or four times the previous power when set at 0.

A difference of 3dB plus or minus is equal to a doubling or halving of the output power which will have an effect on the audible intensity.

Have you been able to get any additional info on this product? I believe it was packaged with a specific speaker (the Concept series?) but other than that I am as much in the dark as you may be.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi, just wondering if either of you guys may have found any info on the Concept EQE, cuz I have one also, and I was thinking that it may have been used as an active XO?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a little more info. As I understand these were made for a speaker line Concept by Altec. On Roger Russel's site this is supposed to be the same set up he patented for mcintosh and some sort of legal stuff went on. But I think if you read the mcintosh info it will explain in detail what these eq's are for. I actually use mine on my Mcintosh speakers, go figure.
    Tim

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Concept Eq was University Sounds last HiFi speaker, later it was absorbed into the Altec line. It was sort of a response to of all things, Bose, with an in line active equalizer. The speaker was a typical of the time 12" 3 way, as I remember it had a Phillips 0161 mylar dome tweeter, the mid and low drivers were mass-produced stamped frame models. It sounded OK, nothing special, we sold one set in our HiFi store. What they would do, if you boosted the bass, was run your amp out of power, right now. The rep kept pushing them real hard to us, wanted us to sell them instead of other Altec speakers we liked better, must have been something in it for him. I was glad to get rid of them. JIM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by zincman:
    I actually use mine on my Mcintosh speakers, go figure.
    Tim
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi, Tim,

When I bought my pair of ML-1Cs, they came with 2 MQ102 McIntosh environmental equalizers, and naturally, I only need one. They're the smaller chrome model with only switch adjustments, but I think are functionally equivalent to the fancy model (MQ101?) Would sell the spare MQ102 in VGC for $50, incl. S&H. PM me if interested.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks to both Tim and Jim, the info was just what I needed, I read article on Russel's site and learned what I needed to know.
    Thanks again!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello All,
    Just an addendum to this topic, I used the EQE in my tape loop on my Heathkit AR1500A coupled with some rebuilt Realistic whoknowswhat three way speakers and MAN what a difference it makes! I set the mid bass at +6db, the high and low at 0db and these little speakers actually have some sound, I'm impressed, can't imagine what the EQE would do for something built with higher quality components! Perfect cheap solution for cheap speakers.
    Fran

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Re: Altec Concept EQ Model EQE

guns kill people,

like spoons made rush limbaugh,