Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Old Guy.

Yeah the Ramones were good. I heard the lead singer is longer with us. I saw them in a small club too and They were really loud. All I can remember is gaba gaba gaba!

Tim

Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

donaldpatten

We enlisted the GA band members and a couple of flat bed farm wagons.
    On the wagons we pre built the ?stage?: drums, guitar amps, mixers, power amps , mics
    Band members ran out with AC power cords and column speakers.
    The speakers were tilted with pre cut sticks, stuck in the back to lean them up at the proper angle. We plugged in the speakers and AC power, by some miracle it all worked.

Set up time 02:20. Twenty seconds over.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In the past 10 years the heavy weight in the sound systems industry US came up with an original and unique idea for the half time show at the super bowl and other football extravagenza.

This patent is unique in the world so I won't post any picture of it.But on second thought I found a picture that shows just enough. These carts are positioned around the field and removed as soon as the show is over.

forums

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ January 09, 2008 09:29 AM: Message edited by: CONVERGENCE ]</font>

Senior Hostboard Member
    ROCK CONCERTS

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Originally posted by CONVERGENCE:
    This patent is unique in the world so I won't post any picture of it.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That makes no sense- patent pictures must be filed and are public information. No harm is done by posting links to such patemts.

Be aware many claimed patents don't exist- lots of companies claim ideas that aren't theirs. If a company really has a patent it's public record- and again no harm done. I've posted pictures of patented items literally thousands of times- and posted links to patents hundreds of times.
    the only time harm would be dones is if an idea were in the research stages, but then a patent would not exist.

The purpose of a patent IS protection.

And if if can be shown someone had the idea before- (prior art), then the patent becomes void.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, what an interesting thread, thanks everyone for sharing your knowedge and experience!

A few quick comments;

On studio monitors, "accurate" is much more important than "good sound". Many "hi-fi" speakers are too "charitable" or forgiving, making bad mixes sound good. I engineer jazz & classical recordings at the local university, been using Mackie HR826s for 6 years, love 'em.
    At home I use Yamaha MSP10s, kinda like powered NS10s, a little bright.

Now a word on line arrays...
    I think some have missed the biggest advantage to arrays over boxes... directivity.
    Line arrays use constructive & destructive interference to decrease vertical dispersion and increase horizontal coverage.

Over the past year I've been producing some concerts here in a local HS gym and we've used a QSC WideLine array to great effect as we can beam their output directly into the audience, keeping the wall reflections to a minimum.

Yes, I did hang 200 2'x 4' Sonex baffles in the overhead and we do lay down 8000 sq.' of CarpetDeck to absorb reflections but the line array really helps reduce the amount of sound that hits the walls rather than the audience.

We've had great reviews on our Loretta Lynn, Peter Rowan/Tony Rice, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Kathy Mattea, Cherish The Ladies, Ralph Stanley etc.concerts from both artists and audience alike.

Line arrays also offer great benefit in less back radiation onto the stage, making artist's monitoring much cleaner and less problematic, especially with wedges.

However some artists want the backsplash, for Marty Stuart we used an EAW 750 rig. Great box, but it has a lot of low freq. output from the rear of the cabinet. Each 750 cabinet only has a 30 degree horiz. dispersion so with a 3 box wrap on each side we still only achieved a 90 degree spread.

By contrast, the line arrays feature better than 120 degrees of horiz. coverage, from just one stack on each side.

Great thread on mixing consoles here also, we're typically using a Yamaha M7CL 48 or PM4000 at FOH and PM5D at monitor world.
    The M7CL is a really nice desk, 16 mix outs make it great for FOH or monitors, decent converters make good sonics, around$20k but yamaha's on-board effects sound good. (remember the SPX90?)

The fact is, a real soundcheck, good engineers at FOH & monitor world and a talented artist are more important than any gear.

Again, thanks for the great info from everybody, there's a wealth of wisdom on this forum.

Jeff Bosley

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: ROCK CONCERTS

In the mid 1970's live concerts rigs din't always follow the proper set up often causing phase
    problems. But the fans were satisfied as long as it was loud. Imagine these speakers with today'ss amps and mixers . What a waist. You have all recognized the brand.

..........click full view

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

I recognize the 4560 boxes right off, as well as some of the bi-radial horns. But, i'm pretty sure those dual 12 inch mid bass boxes are early EAW. There are some ginormous exponential horns that i could only play guessing games about, appears to be some kind of HUGE exponential bass horns of some type, as well as some awfully large folded horns similar to a "Bertha" or EV eliminator. I think there's quite a mixture of brands there really, although when it comes to what they're loaded with they might have a lot more in common.

At any rate, that is a very cool photo.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, whatever the big folded horns, and big straight horns, are they must be absolutely HUGE, as they dwarf the JBL 4560's!
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My wife and I attended several concerts this year after a 30 year absence. These included, Clapton at MSG, Moody Blues at Radio City, Chicago at Bethel (Woodstock), ZZ Top at Beacon, Eagles at MSG, Crosby, Still, Nash, NJ Arts, etc.

All systems except CSN were flown JBLs (Vertechs)

My observations:

? Many old Altec/Crown SR systems with bass horns from the 1970s produced sound that surpassed many modern JBL flown systems of today (This is the Altec cite; right?)

? The sound experience is greatly influenced by room acoustics and today?s heavy handed sound engineers, many of whom refuse to play at a reasonable volume.

? Until the ZZ?Top concert at the Beacon Theater a few weeks ago, I was very depressed about the state of sound reproduction in 2009. The ZZ - SPLs were a decent 105 DB, however.

? All modern concerts until ZZ were muted by bad engineers who refused to play the system louder than 80-90 DB. Clapton was an exception were SPL >90DB but the sound bounced off walls and vocals were muddy because of a bad hall.

? Moody?s at Radio City was an typical example with a killer JBL array in a good venue that was hamstrung by bad engineers

? Flown JBL cabs are VERY capable in the right venue and with the right engineers.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

For an all Altec system in 1977 . Pink Floyd with Altec 817 and Mantaray horns.

.............Click full view

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

I think that's closer to 1979-80, i think most of the Mantaray's became available in '79. I'm pretty sure a '77 vintage rig would have still been all multicell horns, and would be minus those little quad paks of MR902-16HF mantaray tweeters.

Another very cool photo!
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.