Thread: Jeff Markwart's Most Excellent DIY Hifi Altec Site!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

After re-reading some of the material on Jeff Markwart's Corner, it occurred to me that we don't point people with questions there nearly often enough. In particular, Jeff and John Tuckers' SP article on VOTTs in hifi apps should be a recommended primer for the subject. It's all there, all the most common issues we repeatedly cuss and disscuss here. To say he's "been there, done that with hifi Altec" is an understatement. He wrote it down too.

I not only wish to pay homage for Jeff's efforts, but also to wonder out loud if we should create a permanent link, perhaps in the form of an appropriately named "sticky" thread, to make it easy for new members to find the info?

Attaboy Jeff, Thank You! forums forums forums forums forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Agreed, I do when appropriate, but didn't notice it had the SP articles. I could have used them recently when I commented on an HE forum thread WRT the Exemplar's compression driver based on a text only copy of SP #9 off the net only to find out it was missing a lot more information than just the pics......

Anyway, I tried downloading the 'spaltec.pdf' twice, but both times it gave me a 'file damaged, unable to open' error message, though no problem with the 'spexemplar.pdf' file.

Regardless, kudos to Jeff and particularly the late Bill Eckle who were the ONLY folks that showed me the courtesy of responding to my few Altec Qs when this 'nobody' first found the various audio BBs in '96. Indeed, I was stunned to read recently about how 'coarse' a person BE was 'in the flesh' since all his correspondence to me was one of extreme courtesy and seeming desire to share whatever knowledge he had.

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hadn't seen the new section on 604E's. It's definitely great to have all that info, and generous of Jeff to share it.

Dave

Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

I agree. Jeff's site came up several times when I was first researching Altec information and I appreciated it being there. Thanks Jeff.

WRT the SP article...I made it a point to pick up the Sound Practices CD off eBay. That CD should also be heartily recommended for the next generation to come up to speed with the remarkable, selfless work of these bizarre audio nuts. I have to emphasize the word selfless.

The free sharing of information without corporate or government intervention is what first turned me on to the concept of the internet. Oh, well that and pictures of naked women... forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The non-commercial aspect is a big plus for me too. It shows a desire to share information and experience freely and unbiased, as opposed to someone who provides a little info supporting something he has to sell. There's a vast amount of time and energy represented in each of the many articles simply in the creation of the article, not to mention the actual research and experimentation detailed within.

I've never had the privilege of meeting Jeff, but I'm guessing he must have a neck like a big Brahma bull, from years of shaking his head at some of our feeble attempts to explain what he has already researched, documented, and put online. I imagine at times it's both entertaining and frustrating for him to see us arguing over little issues he's already covered. To have the restraint it must require not to jump in and say, "hey, dummy, looky here, I did that already" proves what a gentleman he must be.

Senior Hostboard Member jmarkwart's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow!??thank all of you for taking time to pass on your positive thoughts. It?s good to know that my efforts in this area have been useful and appreciated. I would be remiss if I didn?t thank a number of Altec DIYers who provided a considerable amount of their time and support to the effort as well.

I must admit that a good part of the reason for my making Altec DIY info available on-line was to free up a bit of time for myself, as well as those seeking information, by providing a giant WEB-based FAQ on the subject. It apparently works well for everyone. No doubt there is more that could be added? like current enclosure theory and practice, including amplifier source impedance affects?

GM ? I downloaded the Sound Practices pdf you mentioned without problem from the site. If you are still having problems let me know and I will send you the file from my computer.

Jeff

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

JM - I tried it again just now and it downloaded OK, so no clue why I had problems yesterday since I've had none with any others on your site, but thanks anyway and thanks again for sharing your considerable efforts.

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by bfish:
    After re-reading some of the material on Jeff Markwart's Corner, it occurred to me that we don't point people with questions there nearly often enough. In particular, Jeff and John Tuckers' SP article on VOTTs in hifi apps should be a recommended primer for the subject. It's all there, all the most common issues we repeatedly cuss and disscuss here. To say he's "been there, done that with hifi Altec" is an understatement. He wrote it down too.

I not only wish to pay homage for Jeff's efforts, but also to wonder out loud if we should create a permanent link, perhaps in the form of an appropriately named "sticky" thread, to make it easy for new members to find the info?

Attaboy Jeff, Thank You! forums forums forums forums forums
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have to second that motion! Many of us would be lost without the deligent work done by Jeff, and his willingness to share.

Thanks, Jeff!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Jeff Markwart:
    ... No doubt there is more that could be added? like current enclosure theory and practice, including amplifier source impedance affects?...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't think anyone here would try to talk you out of it... forums