Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Forgot to ask on my last entry ? as long as I use the same impedence woofer to go along with the driver, is there any benefits in choosing an 8 ohm diaphragm over a 16 ohm or vice versa.

Thanks - NG

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by NebraskaGuy:
    Thanks bfish,

Are there any differences between what is now currently available vs what was used on the alnico 800 series drivers before the ferrite 900?s replaced them?

NG
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">All Altec 1" drivers that have tangerine phase plugs originally had the same diaphragms that are available today, 802 and 902 used aluminum, and 808 and 909 used Pascalite.

Altec 1" drivers with annular slit phase plugs originally used many variations of diaphragms over the years, both aluminum and Symbiotek. All those are obsolete now, and you must use the currently-available diaphragms when replacement is required (recommended), or locate some NOS or used ones from a private source.

One of the advantages of Pascalite is for live sound or PA apps where feedback from a mic can wipe out an aluminum 'phragm in a heartbeat.

Many claim aluminum 'phragms sound better in home hifi apps. I won't touch that one, but I've never personally heard any difference, but then my hearing is not as good as it used to be, largely due to years of machinery noise in a construction environment.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by NebraskaGuy:
    Forgot to ask on my last entry ? as long as I use the same impedence woofer to go along with the driver, is there any benefits in choosing an 8 ohm diaphragm over a 16 ohm or vice versa.

Thanks - NG
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Here's an old thread on that topic;

http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult.../f/3729/t/1959

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Bill has just started refitting Alnico 288's with TANGERINE phasing plugs - you can get them with original diaphragms or brand new ones for the same price, AND they've been COMPLETELY disasembled, cleaned, replated, reassembled, painted, remagentized and are FULLY ready to go.

And they sound GREAT!

Give him a call @ (405) 789-0221 and order some, or if you have an older one and want it done to yours, he can do that, too!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'd like to politely add that the 808-8B did have the tangerine plug, and is identical to the 802-8G, except for choice of diaphragm, loading cap, and felt pad;

Maybe when folks realize there are identical options available to the "holy grail" 802-8G, that market will become more realistic as well.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My error! forums

You are correct bfish. The 808 does use the longer motor. The 806 and 807 are shorter. The 808-8A does not have the Tangerine plug but the 808-8B does. And yes, an 808-8B makes an excellent 802-8G when equipped with an aluminum diaphragm.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

which is EXACTLY what we did years ago, we used aluminum diaphragms in our 808-8B,s with the Tangerine phase plugs, and made Sweeeet sound!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Excuse me for straying from the A7 topic, but refitting drivers with tangerine phase plugs is really interesting! If 288s can be refitted, could my 291-16As get the same treatment? Early 288s look virtually identical to 291-16As, (from the outside). When I was scrounging through warehouses and shops for a mate for my single, I came aross a shelf with both types side by side, and if not for the labels I don't think I'd have been able to tell which was which. I certainly do NOT claim to be an expert! I'm just an avid hobbiest. Perhaps I should have started a new topic with this question!?! Thank you! Robert Thompson

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234