Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by GM:
    the Fabulous Fox Theater.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The wild and crazy Fox Theatre in Atlanta that Jimmy Buffett did a lot of the "You had to be there" album in?

...Cool!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Gm: Very cool. How'd you get those out of the fox? What are they using now?

My Altec amps are out of the old Braves stadium, not sure where my speakers came from, got them through a friend a long while back, I may have to touch base with him and find out....

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ June 19, 2008 06:42 PM: Message edited by: ClassicComics ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Originally posted by ClassicComics:
    ... would this work (with a center in between obviously....
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not really, with ears on the sides of our heads we are very sensitive to horizontal displacement in our acute hearing BW.

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Originally posted by Cal Weldon:

The wild and crazy Fox Theatre in Atlanta that Jimmy Buffett did a lot of the "You had to be there" album in?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep, and we were there! forums Gees, how I miss those times.......

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I took my projector down to my theater, set it on a temporary makeshift stand and shot it on to the unfinished drywall. I set the image so it was all viewable image at 58" x 139.2" and it looked awesome. I watched most of Transformers in High Def and the wife came down and checked it out for a little bit too... she was wowed! I am set on the screen size, just need to figure out if I can have good sound with the speakers on their sides or if I can deal with the image being 2 or 3ft closer with an AT screen....

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ June 19, 2008 07:49 PM: Message edited by: ClassicComics ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Gm: Very cool. How'd you get those out of the fox? What are they using now?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Long before the 'Save the Fox' campaign got cranked up around '74, it was being gutted out and one thing led to another and I wound up with four '50s era 515Bs for $25 that only needed re-zapping.

Don't have a clue what's in there now, probably JBL or Klipsch, though I suppose it's possible they still have the B@$3 system they demo'd in the '80s. The last time I was there was for Frank Sinatra/Nelson Riddle in the mid '80s IIRC, so no big sound system.

GM

Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Also, just got a price on an acoustically transparent screen from SmX of the same size and it's twice as much as the non-AT screen... refering back to my statement above, I'm not sure it's worth it at that price....

Thanks for all the input guys!!

<font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="1">[ June 19, 2008 02:39 PM: Message edited by: ClassicComics ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The gain on the smx is 1.16...and the reason I recommended the other screen is that it sports the same gain, same tight weave, same superior acoustical transparency AND you can buy the raw material and make your own frame. I'm sure the price of building your own frame for the transparent material is very price competitive. They've also got a step by step tutorial on how to do it that's a snap. I just bought a piece that's bigger than I needed(120+") for 450 bucks delivered. It will cost me maybe 100-200 dollars to frame it. Compared to the other costs in your system...this would appear to be the least painful.

FWIW, it just seems that getting the sound behind the screen lets you place the screen more appropriately and place the speakers more appropriately. Just my 2 cents mind you...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am now leaning towards the Seymour AT screen, thanks Steve Mac - I have been reading their "official thread" over at AVscience. I got a quote of around $500 for the size screen I want (exact cut), which is about $1000 cheaper than the regular 1.3 gain screen I was considering (although thE DA-LITE screen does include a frame and is all tensioned etc... at this price) and $2500 less than the SmX screen quote (again this was with a frame). I figured for $500 if I am not happy, the investment wasn't that large and I can go with something else. I still do not like the idea of moving my screen 2 to 3 ft. closer to my seats, but I do like the idea of putting my speakers behind the screen and hopefully getting another matching A7 for the center....

I am thinking of building a false wall and then either a frame for the screen or direct attaching it to framed wall....

I'll let you know how this goes... let me know what you end up doing as well.

Thanks!!

PS... where can I find a single A7 for sale for a decent price?

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ June 20, 2008 04:21 PM: Message edited by: ClassicComics ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know you said you did not want to hang them from the ceiling, try building a platform

which would you could multitask, 1, primarily raise your speaker to be hidden behind the screen, and 2 your platform could be used for housing subs..... just a thought

Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

CC:
    I was thinking today about the 9845 altec and it's still a contender for a center channel. It's smaller than an A7. I was playing with graphics...and now that you are walking down the path of an AT screen...I'm thinking this is not a bad idea for your rig. This gives you a 511 horn...an altec 15...and space underneath for a proper sub-woofer, which I think might cause you a lot of heartburn when you get to that next stage. Here's what it would look like in your setup:
    www.superbadcat.com/images/classicComics03.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234