Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Todd
    You have posted replies in another thread of mine (NEW Altec boxes?). I called Bill the other day and he has no boxes for sale but he told me he was working on bringing out some "very high end" speaker system. I have since wrote to him and asked that I have a shot at providing the boxes. At this time, I haven't heard back from him.

Todd, do you have anything to do with the boxes that you say are available through Bill?

Regardless of a new "high end" item becoming available, I think there will still be a market for Model 18 & Model 19 cabinets. Without question, I know there's a market for new grills and bases. My question is, should I make improvements and/or re-tune the cabinets I have built?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Aubrey Martin of Ireland has posted some nice images of a 604 and stock 620 enclosure that shows the details of the boxes (including internal bracing). He is selling the units (don't know the price). If the shipping wasn't stratospheric, I would seriously consider acquiring them.

Check out: http://www.e-trade.ie/altec/

Disclaimer: not my stuff. Just an admirer..........sigh.

Keep us updated, Jim and Todd.

John

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Great info sounder and thats the way the cabinets could be marketed here for us DIY guys who might not have the tools to do it all.
    That 620 cabinet looks to be quite simple and if you look close at a 19 cabinet it is just as simple but two seperate boxes.

I would bet guys would really jump at these in the flat kit if prices and shipping could be kept down. There is something very rewarding about being able to say "I built them cabinets"!

Gary

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by gamalot:
    I would bet guys would really jump at these in the flat kit if prices and shipping could be kept down. There is something very rewarding about being able to say "I built them cabinets"!

Gary
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thats a good idea!

forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'd sure like to hear from more of the readers of this thread. Give me your opinion, I'll listen. Thanks

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't think the 604-8G in a Model 17 (620A) cabinet sound all that great at low sound level. The speaker is bass shy until the volume is cranked up, and this is difficult for some of us apartment dwellers. The Model 19 at low sound volume still sounds good and sounds better overall. I would consider the MLTL cab for the new 604 per the link provided by SelmerDave.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi TnTn
    I think you are refering to the model 18 for the 604/620 system. See the following link; http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...s/model-18.htm

It's common that the lows and highs need to be turned up when listening to music at lower volumes. Many manufacturers of receivers and inagrated amps added a "loudness" switch to make music sound better or more natural at low volumes Please see the following link that explains perceived loudness, it's entitled "Human Hearing: Amplitude Sensitivity"

http://www.audioholics.com/education...itivity-part-1

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jim the Model 17 is a 604-8g in a 620A cabinet.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ome/page09.jpg

Dave

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by TnTn:
    I don't think the 604-8G in a Model 17 (620A) cabinet sound all that great at low sound level. The speaker is bass shy until the volume is cranked up, and this is difficult for some of us apartment dwellers. The Model 19 at low sound volume still sounds good and sounds better overall. I would consider the MLTL cab for the new 604 per the link provided by SelmerDave.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I couldn't agree more, my 604G's in 620B cabinets sound great at all listening levels, IMHO, but they don't really come alive till I crank up the wattage to mid levels. I drive mine with an Adcom GFA-555 200 wpc amp.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think amplification can be a factor with that, certain types of amps do better a certain volumes. I get great results with my 604E's at low volumes with my SET, and not quite as good with my PP amps.

Dave