Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Essentially you can't redesign the box. If you change the dimensions everything else changes.
    It becomes a whole new design.

There are a number of different bass box design programs available for free. Some do just basic boxes, others do ducted ports. The EV is essentially a modified ducted port design. A program that gives you one of those is probably as close as you'll get.

Just curious in case someone asks- are that series of prints archived somewhere on the web?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, there are several plan designs available in pdf. format. http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/
    I understand that changing the dimensions changes the design, the point of making it bigger would be to make it a sound a little less flat.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I downloaded the TL-606 plans. The exterior dimensions of the cab are H 23 3/4" W 19 1/4" D17". I would not mind taking the design of this cabinet modifying it to be a little bigger but based on the T/S parameters of 421 8H series II. I have looked at a couple speaker design programs but have not been satisfied. The computation of the cubic area is straight forward, I do not know how to compensate for this type of port. I was hoping to have something smaller than an 816 but a little larger than the TL-606. Any suggestions would be welcome

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Without trying to redirect Lawrence from his plans, I thought I'd add some info I just became aware of regarding cabs for the 421-8HII. The 612C utility cab is intended for this driver, as well as the 416-8A, 418B&8H, 421A, 515B, 604E, & 605B. Plans on the Lansing Heritage site at;

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/plans/1970's-lf-plans/enclosures05.jpg

Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 421-8H Series II

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Good post bfish. That box is a bit bigger, and has the virtue of keeping the system all Altec.
    If I were using them I would stack them on their sides making 28" the width. The cones look like they would be closer together that way and should couple better.

The standard disclaimer etc. etc.

Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Hi,

Here is a picture of what the 612 and 614 look like side by side.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...pro/page14.jpg

Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 421-8H Series II

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Thanks Lawrence.

I have a large archive of cabinets- always someone asking for something.

Senior Hostboard Member aeyb701's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi all:
    Forgive me if posting a notice of sale is not allowed- I did a cursory check to see-but someone in no way connected to me is selling a pair if 421-8H's in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada for CDN$250.00. He reports they have the white frames and are in good condition, though one cone has a stain. He asked me if I wanted them as I inquired after a pair of 511B's he had for CDN$60 (of course they sold soon after posting on Canuckaudiomart). I said thanks but already have a pr of 416-8B's "half here", but offered to post it on this forum as they sound like a bargain. His email is [email protected]
    Steve Rizewiski is his name.
    Image can be seen at:
    http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/30992-
    Note he says sold but I do not know if that applies to the woofers as he emailed me after the fact.

Jon Archibald

Senior Hostboard Member aeyb701's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi all:
    Forgive me if posting a notice of sale is not allowed- I did a cursory check to see-but someone in no way connected to me is selling a pair if 421-8H's in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada for CDN$250.00. He reports they have the white frames and are in good condition, though one cone has a stain. He asked me if I wanted them as I inquired after a pair of 511B's he had for CDN$60 (of course they sold soon after posting on Canuckaudiomart). I said thanks but already have a pr of 416-8B's "half here", but offered to post it on this forum as they sound like a bargain. His email is [email protected]
    Steve Rizewiski is his name.
    Image can be seen at:
    http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/30992-
    Note he says sold but I do not know if that applies to the woofers as he emailed me after the fact.

Jon Archibald

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12