Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

What is your intended use/application for them?

I think that's an important part of the equation that responders will need to know in order to make the best suggestions. forums

Altec used them in several horn and bass reflex systems with XO at both 800hz, and 1200hz. Stanal Sound used them as subwoofers down to 20hz in 16-20 ft3 bass reflex boxes, as well as a couple horn type enclosures.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Bowtie - I intend using them for bass on a horn system using Gaumont Kalee Type 379 mid drivers with 8 cell horns and HF yet to be decided. Im thinking that a sub horn may be needed later to go as low as I like. I have seen similar mid horns used with Onken enclosures or maybe a voice of the theater type enclosure. Im hoping to ultimatly use seperate valve amplification and hopfully valve crossovers. It will be used for a variety of source and material from early 50s vinyl to modern computer lossless format. I currently have the horns working through a Cestion crossover and with Celestion 18" bass which sounds amazingly good.

Thanks for your help

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi I have the oportunity to buy some 421 8LF bass drivers. Any opinions as to wether they are any good. Advice in regards the best enclosure and crossover would also be apreciated.

Thanks

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Still after advice re 421 8LF drivers. I have sourced another 2 x so have 4 in total. I understand they were used in Altec 19's is this correct?

I have posted 3 threads with 350 views and no help? Am I in the wrong place or are my questions ambiguous.

Thanks

Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet...421-8LF-01.jpg
    http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet...421-8LF-02.jpg
    http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos...er_collage.jpg

They're musical instrument speakers but would rock in an A7 cab. I found these pics of an application Altec used them in...the Altec BassMaster:
    bassmaster 1
    bassmaster 2
    bassmaster 3

Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Model 19's use 416-8's. I bought several 421's a few years ago and have tried them in my 19's. They don't put out nearly as much bass as a 416. They're not bad sounding, just a little light in the bass.
    They can be reconed with 416 kits from what I understand and I know there are a few people here that have done so. Perhaps they'll chime in.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for your replies

Zelgall when you say "They're not bad sounding, just a little light in the bass" do you mean the have limited freq. response or lack of volume/db's. Do you think having 2 x per enclosure would help? I am using a 950 watt amp for bass and valves for the upper ranges so power isnt a problem.

Steve Mac cool atavar - I live 5km's from Hobbiton

Cheers

Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you look at the second JPG posted by Steve Mac you can see the drop off below 200Hz. It's not like it just disappears but it is noticeable. 2 drivers won't make the line flatten out, it will just increase the overall out put by a couple of dB. These drivers are quite efficient and can be equalized flat with a little effort. They are god sounding drivers if used properly.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a single 421-8H in each of two bass reflex cabinets and have EQed them to be flat +/-1/2dB down to 25Hz using a Sabine PowerQ and a Behringer ECM8000. My understanding is that the LF version extends lower into the bass region, so they might work just fine for you after some EQ. Good luck with whatever you choose.