Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: 9846-8A bad purchase

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    Well that genuinely S U C K S !!!

    But, thankfully you're a responsible steward of our hobby/obsession, you'll make them "right" again, likely better than they were originally.

    The 30904's are not a great loss beyond an aluminum plate and two terminal strips. The caps were likely shot, and at least a couple of the resistors "might" render better sonics if they were replaced with quality wirewound examples.

    I have a 30904 right here on my desk as i type this, if you would like a couple hi res pics, dimensions, or component values just let me know.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh Ron, what a bummer and all the asterisk words.
    I was slowly preparing a post for the other thread but
    I will hold off for now. Life is still coming at us fast here
    but I'll help you any way I can.

    I found the crossover diagram that shows the plug
    inputs. Its the same components as the unit with terminals.

    http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage...0Schematic.pdf

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks guys.
    There is actually a pair of 30904 EQ circuits on ebay right now.
    Took the cones out of the woofers. The pole pieces look a bit corroded. I imagine GPA can fix them.
    Sigh....this is going to be a long project.
    Still have to figure out how to remove the horn that are glued in.
    Altec didn't glue them in did they?
    Ron

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Having trouble getting into Hostboard lately.
    The originals were not glued. Is it silicon rubber?
    I remember the old Speakerlab Co. near you
    used to drown everything in silicon rubber.
    There must be something like WD-40 that can soften it up.

    Hopefully you can get those 30904 for cheaper than the building procedure.
    And hopefully the Altec people who visit here can give you some room
    with that auction.

    forums

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    Altec didn't glue them in did they?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't think so, my pair SN 1020 and 1051 from the 29th week of '73 had some type of self adhesive foam applied to the back of the horn flange, i assume stock as the foam has been long disintegrated. I'm simply replacing it with a similar material.

    Parroting what others have said, a good seal is important. Be sure to check that piece of thin material on the horn driver "bump-out", one of mine had a significant seperation.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Well,

    Swayed by a chance to buy a rare pair of Altecs from the kids of a diseased dad....they knew nothing about them.....

    All looked well. But what lurked inside.

    Reconed 411's with **** parts. I knew that going in.

    HF drivers should have been 802-8D...they were replaced with 806-8A's with junk replacement diaphragms......

    The EQ circuits were removed......gone, never to be seen again.

    The woofers were indeed reconed with **** , and were glued into the cabinets.

    The 511 horns are also glued into the cabinets....not sure how to remove them.

    The backs were also glued in....

    What a sucker I am......

    At least under the real cool carpet....was the orig grey paint. And geeze...the serial numbers are consecutive.

    Luckily I have some 902-8A drivers, and some 802-8G's aw well. But sure don't have the EQ...thanks Art, I can build some pretty easy.

    But gads....I imagine the hack tech that worked on these, and I'd love to strangle him....

    I bought horns, woofer frames and boxes....it's sad.

    Ron

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey guys,

    Hostboard has been tough to get into lately. And even tougher to post replys......

    I went to the Lansing Heritage site and looked up the spec sheet for these.

    Supposed to heve the 30923 EQ circuit. Not the 30904's. In either case, they won't be hard to build from scratch.

    Got one horn out.....the guy was glue happy...and yes it's silicone, but has hardened. Took part of the wood with it when I pried it out. Bondo time!

    Also noted that these are supposed to be plywood....Altec must have changed their minds and went cheap These are particle board.

    These are also supposed to have N501-8A crossovers. what I bought have N809-8A's.....in good shape, but the wrong ones. I happen to have a nice set of N501-8A's in stock.....

    Gads....someone must have smoked these fantastic at some time.

    My living room is trashed...good thing I'm not married......

    NASCAR is starting in a few...time to take a break.

    Gonna be a long project.....these better sound **** good when done!

    Ron

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    The 30904's are original to these i'm working with, also this '75 sheet lists 30904 as the EQ network for the 9846-8A.

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ers/page11.jpg

    I'm guessing this data sheet is early.

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...-8a/page03.jpg

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ February 24, 2008 04:01 PM: Message edited by: bowtie427ss ]</font>

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Ron, they do take the 30904 with the Zobel circuit.
    The sheet is a misprint.
    Hopefully you can E-pay them for less than $45.

    forums

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks guys.
    I fell asleep during the race, I guess it got rained out, Missed the NHRA race as well.

    Over 50!

    So got both horns out. Not real impressed with Altec manufacturing on these either. The front kickouts for the woofs were semi glued, and loose. So that's all apart as well.
    Underneath it all is the orig paint, but there must be at least 3 layers of brushed on semi flat black.

    Thanks for the info on the EQ...another Altec goof. They made great drivers....but it seems mfg details etc were thin at best. Maybe part of their demise?

    Anyway, I'll soldier on.

    Ron.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.