Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: A7 and Cold Feet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    A7 and Cold Feet

    In a few weeks time I will be ready to assemble my A7-500 project from ready-cut panels. For various reasons I have wondered if a BR enclosure using the whole volume of the A7 enclosure, about 16 cu. ft., may be a simpler but still satisfactory alternative, overall?

    Comments welcome.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: A7 and Cold Feet

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    In a few weeks time I will be ready to assemble my A7-500 project from ready-cut panels. For various reasons I have wondered if a BR enclosure using the whole volume of the A7 enclosure, about 16 cu. ft., may be a simpler but still satisfactory alternative, overall?

    Comments welcome.
    You'll lose dynamics and efficiency in the mid bass if you do.
    If you are using the stock crossovers then that'll be a problem too.
    Bass reflex... If you wanted smaller cabs then...yeah go the model 19 approach.
    If the 15s are 515s...then that's another reason to stick with the altec design.
    The 515 is best in a horn type enclosure. The A7-500 is a great design...and when yer
    done if there's not enough sub bass...then you will build a large horn sub woofer.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 and Cold Feet

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    In a few weeks time I will be ready to assemble my A7-500 project from ready-cut panels. For various reasons I have wondered if a BR enclosure using the whole volume of the A7 enclosure, about 16 cu. ft., may be a simpler but still satisfactory alternative, overall?
    Ready cut panels? Are you paying to have some cut for you? I don't see any reason to build anything else if you won't have to cut anything. Furthermore, I'd guess that a box that big, that is all reflex enclosure, wouldn't be ideal, since a lot of people reduce the volume a bit by closing off the space behind the horn flairs, if it isn't done already.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: A7 and Cold Feet

    The panels are cut to what I would call overall size. Any angled cuts still have to be done - probably routered. Also all of the horn panels have to be cut/shaped. I am using 416Bs.

    If a BR of equivalent size would still give a very good result I could save myself a lot of work.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: A7 and Cold Feet

    Been there, done that except made them taller to get ~20 ft^3 cabs tuned to Fs to replace A7s with no regrets, so IMO the empty 825/828's ~15 ft^3 gross Vb tuned to ~24 - 32 Hz depending on amp and room/position variables will have all the dynamics required for all but possibly the largest pipe organ symphonies in a HIFI app and do it at audibly lower overall distortion than if expo horn/BR loaded.

    If the budget allows, you can match the A7's overall dynamics (and then some) by adding a second 416B/channel and doubling available power and possibly with a lower tuning or even sealed up depending on the room/position variables. This is what I later did except swapped to dual 515Bs.

    gm albums altec picture1 gm altec sub

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: A7 and Cold Feet

    HI, GM,

    Thanks for your reply. Can I PM you about this topic?

    Regards, Marshall.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: A7 and Cold Feet

    Greets!

    You're welcome!

    Sure.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: A7 and Cold Feet

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Been there, done that except made them taller to get ~20 ft^3 cabs tuned to Fs to replace A7s with no regrets, so IMO the empty 825/828's ~15 ft^3 gross Vb tuned to ~24 - 32 Hz depending on amp and room/position variables will have all the dynamics required for all but possibly the largest pipe organ symphonies in a HIFI app and do it at audibly lower overall distortion than if expo horn/BR loaded.

    If the budget allows, you can match the A7's overall dynamics (and then some) by adding a second 416B/channel and doubling available power and possibly with a lower tuning or even sealed up depending on the room/position variables. This is what I later did except swapped to dual 515Bs.

    gm albums altec picture1 gm altec sub

    GM
    Is this you in the pic GM? Maybe we all ought to post pics of our setups with us in the photo. Would make this a bit more personal.
    BTW....I have the gray goatee "old dog" look going on as well. Cause I'm old!

    Ron

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: A7 and Cold Feet

    Around 5 yrs ago. I'm bald with a 'dirty' white beard now. At least I'm not quite as overweight.

    I agree, this business of using ridiculous or offensive monikers and/or almost certainly not the poster if a person's pic is displayed, etc. or decades out of date has never set well with me. WRT the latter, in my defense I don't have a functioning camera and wouldn't even have this pic if someone who came over to find out what all the fuss was about WRT HE speaker systems in general and Altec in particular wanted one.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: A7 and Cold Feet

    Thank you for your interest. I have decided to go the 'double depth' A8 route.

    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes you might get what you need, Oh Yeh".

    Regards, Marshall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.