Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 950-8a

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Question 950-8a

    There is a pair of 950-8A on Australian Ebay. I can't say that I am familiar with this model number. Can you fill me in?

    Cheers.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 950-8a

    Here's the spec;

    http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage...%20Speaker.pdf

    There's been some mention here before, but you'll have to use this site's search function. Google results all lead to broken links from the old site.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 950-8a

    Thanks, bfish.

    On this site http://audio-database.com/ALTEC/speaker/ there is a Milestone 950 pro system that uses the -8B version.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 950-8a

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    ...you'll have to use this site's search function. Google results all lead to broken links from the old site.
    never mind, Hostboard's own search yeilds no results for "950-8A", even though Google shows at least 4 separate posts (which are dead links thanks to all the recent address changes).

    So, either Hostboard's search is totally worthless, or the threads Google crawled have vanished into the ether (or both). Either way, all the stuff we've added over the years appears to be mostly wasted.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 950-8a

    Well, after a bit of sneaky-snaking through Google's cached pages, I managed to find this description posted by Jim D;

    "Another way would be to get an 950-8A--- 8A, not 8B, ALTEC ceiling speaker. These have essentially a 909 driver on the back of an EV DL15X woofer with an odd horn. They still sound pretty good. The 8B model is all EV and has their little 2012 titanium driver on them, not near as good..."
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 950-8a

    "What a difference an 'A' makes...." Sing along .

  7. #7
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 950-8a

    b-fish is correct. The 950-8A used a 909 diaphragm for the high frequency and the 15" woofer was likely based on Electro-Voice parts. What is not generally known is the 950-8A has a shared magnet assembly where the woofer voice-coil is on the front and the 909 is on the back. Yes, this was a small format version of the "engine" and it sounded great.
    Experience is Knowledge

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.