Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: 904-8a conversion???

Haaha...

Well she saw how I partied when I was in the navy, and she knows exactly how much I can drink if giving the inclination. This has been my excuse for my hobby since I started it, and it has been much cheaper too!!

Now that I have been out for over 3 years and all my navy/marine buds are scrattered all over the country/world, we rarely party like that anymore......only rare get togethers...and then we have to be more discreet with kids and the women around, do not what my kids to see how daddy use to party...lol...

-chris

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They sure look like my 604-8Ks.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I should be getting a response today about the cone #'s and date codes on the frames....

I will post findings......

Later.....

-chris

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

RonSSS

A minor clarification if I may: the 604-HPLN HF diaphragm was the 16-ohm version of
    the aluminum 802-8G/604-8H type. HP - "high power" - referred to the LF only. (LN meant "less network"). IIRC there was never a spec sheet done for it, and it wasn't in any of the short-form catalogs I have from that era (late 1980's). The Stanley Screamer brochure, and Application Note AN-1 briefly mentioned them. Nobody knew what they were because Altec never told them! Few were built, and most went into Stanley Screamer triamp model SS-3210-R (Love 'em!) that had low sales.

Russ

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

On the 604-HPLN topic, the ones I have seen weren't ferrite as the 904's were, they were alnico magnets. They did have heavier cones in them, at the expense of lost efficiency, and the last time I looked at the numbers, I thought that the loss in efficiency just about traded off even with the increased power capacity, so the queston is why go that route. Couple that with the fact that they don't play as low, and it seems that the only reason to play the game is for those that look at power ratings alone as their measure of greatness.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If both turn out to be 904-8A and you want to convert them into 604-8K worst case should be about 370 US$ at GPA. This was roughly the price for a complete overhaul of my 904: New diaphragms, new cones and hours of work. And GPA did an excellent job!! I love my speakers!!
    Cheers
    Ralph

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey eisbaor (sp?),

That is not to bad of a deal..$370/pr? That could not had been with shipping too? ...and that is what I was planning if they have "issues".

GM, I noticed in an old post you talked about getting marine grade or void free ply at H.D.. You happen to know who makes it or the SKU? I have a lead at Lowe's right here by my house, but when I inquire who makes it they do not know, makes me wonder if it even is marine grade, or they just shootin' me a line to get me out of there. I asked a pro-desk person, and they gave me a sku of 113-256 @ $63.00 a (4x8, 3/4")sheet.

Just wondering how your experience has been with the big box stores.....

Thanks,,,,,

-chris

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

I haven't bought marine grade since the late '80s and several years ago G-P told me they no longer guaranteed it void free, instead recommending BB or Apple ply, so paid around $61/sheet IIRC for 19 mm/13 lam 5x5 ft BB ply special order from HD which got it from their local distributor next day. Recently, I asked the local Lowe's about getting some and was told to find/contact a distributor, then place an order with all the details at the Contractor's desk.

Seems to me I found it at Allied Plywood Corp./Suwanee, Ga. (404) 945-0774, but with the recent 'hit' to my retirement fund I haven't followed through with an order.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

GM,

I lied the ply they are selling me comes from redwoods? and it is $89 a sheet.

I am gonna mock up with some 3/4" osb.... Just to see where i need to go.

would rather work out the kinks with the cheap stuff than mess up with the expensive stuff..

GM, would happen to have those plans and dims for the mltl you helped out jay with???

I will check to see what Allied has and see how much it might be and try to haggle my local Lowes here... worth a try.......

Thanks,....

-chris

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Huh! Never heard of such a plywood. Sounds 'yummy' though. I have what I wrote to Jay, but he's got the drawings: Hostboard - View Profile: smallpond

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast