0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Voice of the theater only

Quote Originally Posted by LICORNE View Post
    The French have it together.
    Paris is the movie capital of the world - a least for viewing. But don't get me started on that. It's far outside the scope of this forum.

Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    Paris is the movie capital of the world - a least for viewing. But don't get me started on that. It's far outside the scope of this forum.
    Your right. I've seen all the Trufault ,Renoir films on brand new 35mm prints. Also other European like Fellini. I was projectionist and sound engineer in the 70's.

I spoke to the guy who installed the A-4 in the late 70's to early 80's and did the maintenance. So I know what happened to them.

Have you seen the Megaplex and their interlocking systems. They should have built an 850 seat auditorium with 5 small ones instead.One site shows a latency of 20 minutes between the first and 16Th projector.

THis gives a new meaning to " I have one print and there's 4 bus load of custommer outside.

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/w...gory=3&id=1261

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Ah! Finally someone got it right.

UA Continental 6-Denver, Co

Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LICORNE View Post
    One site shows a latency of 20 minutes between the first and 10Th projector.
    Holy Cow! That's insane! Those guys deserve an academy award.

I've gone booth to booth, but only 2 projectors.....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    Holy Cow! That's insane! Those guys deserve an academy award.

I've gone booth to booth, but only 2 projectors.....
    One print going from one projector to the next through all 16 projectors. Imagine the leader
    film to thread projector 1 to projector 16. INSANE

Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yeah, they said 2200 feet of leader! That's a whole reel.

BTW, I like the shot of that big cinema in Denver. I hope to go there some day. There was a big Noreleco dual gauge projector like that in the booth of the big house of the Kabuki Theater, S.F. Probably still there. A beauty.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Here is a thread from 3 years back on theaters in US still using vott's.

Please view only.

If you have new comments use this thread only.

Thanks

http://www.hostboard.com/forums/alte...ing-votts.html

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

ACCORDING TO QUITE A FEW MOVIE HOUSE OWNER'S The Altec A-6 was an incredible speaker ,better tha the JBL 4670. The A-4 first A-5 second and A-6 for direct radiator in that order.

Quotes Steve Guttag from F.T. forum.

"As a side note....there was a recent screening in the DC area where one of the New York firms came down to do the "Tech."....after checking over the room response..etc...the tech asked me..."What do you have behind that screen? It sounds so clear and transparent yet not harsh at all...very sweet sounding"...my response? Altec A-6 (similar to the JBL 4670 or the EV TS-940). The difference...the Altec drivers and Mantaray horn. The 288 driver mated to a Manatray horn (MRII594) is an exceptionally good sounding combination and the horn is second to none in its category.

While I am no great friend of the A-7 I am of the A-5 since it has the 288/299 HF driver...I'd put it up against virtually any speaker made today. Remember...the system did evolve despite its appearance remaining the same. The Mantaray horn is second to none...the 515G is a rather evolved 515, the 288/299 is still better than most compression drivers of today. As to response, if you don't get 45 - 16K on an A-5 you must be doing something wrong. An A-4 is pretty flat down to 40Hz with its bass wings.

I'd take an A-4 or A-5 (room dependant) over virtually all "modern" cinema speakers today. In tough rooms (reverberent) they really outperform others.

My favorite Altec speakers are the 604, A-4 and A-5...in that order...the A-6 is good for a direct radiator. Certainly...not all of the speakers listed will work in all spaces...in fact...they all have their particular spaces...the A-5 being the most versitile. I've used a ton of A-5s to "fix" tough rooms. Most recently at the Kimball theatre in Williamsburg, VA and the 19th Street theatre in Allentown, PA. Tough theatres are those with non-friendly acoustics or the stage speaker is expected to free-float in mid air inside of a stage house...and A-5 will do that...a direct radiator will just embarass itself.

James B Lansing was the one and the same with Altec and JBL...he was fired from both companies and committed suicide. Altec came first and was an outgrowth of ERPI.

JBL is living with, to this day, the fact that James B. changed how he designed his drivers when forming JBL. Altec had an outward cone motion when a positive voltage was applied to the "+" terminal. JBL drivers were just the opposite.

JBL is slowly switching all of that though. You will find that the legacy drivers like the 2226, wich replaced the 2225, which replaced the 222x...are, to this day, all positive voltage on red causes the cone to pull in. Same with the HF drivers like the 2446, which repaced the 2445, which replaced the 244x...positive on red causes the diaphragm to draw air into the throat.

New drivers that don't directly replace any previous driver...like the 2242 (as used the 4645C subwoofer) are positive on red causes and outward cone motion. So if you have a system with JBL 4675Cs for stage speakers and 4645C subwoofers and 8330A surrounds...the stage speakers will be out of phase with the subs and surrounds if everything is wired red to red and black to black.

So in answer to your question, JBL and Altec most certainly did co-exist. JBL has had similar speakers to Altec though they were never the same. Altec VOT speakers always had a front vented driver, I don't think JBL ever did (note the screen on the dust dome of a 515 for the air to escape).

JBL's answer to the A-4 was the 4676. The JBL answer to the A-5 was the 4674 and the JBL answer to A-7 was the 4672. JBL's double-15 horn loaded speakers were always horizontal horns (like with the Altec 211 cabinet...the A-4 used the 210 cabinet).

"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234