Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Gpa 288h

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Gpa 288h

    Well....what do you all think? I just placed an order for a pair of these drivers from Bill at GPA. I got a pair of 511E horns and am excited. Right now I have 808a's on 511b's with aluminum frams and the loading caps removed(bug screens too).

    I can't even find these drivers for sale anywhere. Anico+radial waveguide+288+aluminum frams. And when they pop up they cost so much with no warranty and probably need to be restored. Why Bill won't market these aggressively is beyond me. I thought he said he had two pair left and then would have to order more alnico. But he didn't want to buy a batch and have em hang around...which is why he's not pushing them....but then that's why he's not making more of em! Anyway, I don't want to wait around until someone finds out this secret.

    getting 8 ohm vc's....this is what they look like....
    http://www.superbadcat.com/images/288_front.jpg
    http://www.superbadcat.com/images/288_rear.jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Gpa 288h

    Do the 288h CDs fit the 511 horn? I thought the throat size was different. (1" vs. 1.4")
    Are there different sizes in the 288 and 511?

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gpa 288h

    Michael,

    I believe the 511E is a 1.4"

    As far as I know, that's the only difference from a 511B.
    Nothing like a great big pair of speakers to make your day.
    [url]http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/calweldon/?start=all[/url]
    [url]www.calweldonconsulting.ca[/url]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member charlesmc75's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 5th, 2005
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gpa 288h

    These look great, how much is he asking for them? pm me.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Gpa 288h

    Quote Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
    I believe the 511E is a 1.4"
    Ahhh..... learn something new every day! I had not seen 1.4" 511's. Good to know they exist. Thanks Cal!

  6. #6
    Hostboard Member lowpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2009
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gpa 288h

    Steve Mac,

    I'd be keen to hear your findings on the comparison to your 808's, as that's what I have at the moment too (808-8B's on 511B's). I'm assuming it will be significant given the reputation these drivers have.

    BTW: There are no prices on GPA's website, so do you mind me asking what sort of investment is required to own a pair of the 'new school' 288's?

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Gpa 288h

    The drivers are in transit!
    But I have a very difficult job and am looking for advice before proceeding.
    I have 2 511e horns but the weld job was messy...
    so I need to smooth them out....here's a look at the mess
    http://www.superbadcat.com/images/hole1.jpg
    http://www.superbadcat.com/images/hole2.jpg

    after grinding...with what?...body filler?
    Also...it's not so much the initial inside smoothing that scares me so much as
    where the expansion shifts aggressively from the vertical to the horizontal dimension.
    This must be a perfect job....I only wish I was perfect.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Gpa 288h

    not a great picture....but the throats are much cleaned up.
    chiseled off a few "burgers"...then used a 3/4" drum pad on a var speed drill
    and worked very slowly...then hand sanded and hand sanded ....then used auto glazing/spot putty to fill...sanded...filled...sanded filled.... and then shot some primer over it. Needs more work but now it's smooth.
    http://www.superbadcat.com/images/hole3.jpg

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Gpa 288h

    get out of town....I got the 288s up for a sound check...there's the high end and there's the fat mid range that doesn't drill...much more to follow but much setting up and listening first.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gpa 288h

    Congrats on the improvement, enjoy!

    I liked my 808-8A's (symbiotik, 511B) down lowish (400-500hz, low power) for MF duty in a 3 way, but switched to 288's when the opportunity arose and have not looked back.

    Unless cosmetic, portability, or structural etc. factors came to bear, I suspect most would have a similar opinion for a 3 way setup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.