Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Model 19 and 17

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Anyone know when the Shindo was introduced?
    Not personally, but Wayback seems to;

Internet Archive Wayback Machine

Izzat what I think it is?
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

[I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Wayback searchs are failing for me...what did it tell you?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That the Latour appeared on the web on 3/9/05, and the Lafite (sp?) on 12/4/02.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

[I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

If I remember correctly, the Lafitte is a smaller version of the Latour two way field coil speaker which uses a 12" woofer instead of 15"". It does not use a 604.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Regarding MLTL i found Martin J. King?s 1/4 wave site, will try to understand the ML part
    Regards
    Kjartan

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Greets!

MJK, me and others have posted numerous responses on a variety of forums (including this one IIRC) over the last several years tutoring in general/answering specific Qs, so Google is your friend.

Note that the other day a dedicated MJK MathCad Work Sheets (WS) yahoo! user group was initiated along with him at least temporarily offering them to the public again except at a new/(lower long term) one time $25 fee for all his current WSs.

As speaker design software goes, this is a HUGE bargain, so if anyone even thinks they may want to eventually try them, best to get them now because he's made it very plain why he stopped sharing them with the public, what it will take to keep them available with periodic updates and if he takes them away again, it's for good.

diyAudio Forums - MJK Worksheets - Page 1
    quarter-wave : Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Not personally, but Wayback seems to;

Internet Archive Wayback Machine

Izzat what I think it is?
    Thanks, I couldn't get it to load, it would time out due I assume to only getting a fraction of the DSL speed I'm paying for (~225 k Vs 768-1500 k), but no budget for the ~3x more expensive VOip/cable option. Not to mention being booted off-line, I did a leisurely lunch and nuked three new fire ant mounds before I could post this. Got a whole 636 k speed for it. BFD.

Probably, the Shindo's cab is dimensionally too close both to Jay Fisher's and his friend's cab and the time frame of my PMs with JF if it indeed is a MLTL.

They say plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery, but doesn't work for me when it's for profit (and especially MJK if his software was inadvertently used without a commercial license).

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Hi, I have now been offered a pair of mint condition and cleaned 416-8A's and a pair of 802-8G's at a reasonable price. The seller is advocating using 511B horns (damped with epoxy), not 811 as in the mod 19's and e.g. use the L'audiophile Onken 360l cabinet's for the 416's and cross over at 500Hz. Quite an interesting system, in the right room.

I have problems selling the Onken's with 511's on top to the wife and its also a question if this kind of system will perform adequately in my modest size room.

I play everything from delicate Chamber music, Blues and and Jazz to large scale orchestra and Rock, although I seldom play very loud any more, the high resolution and dynamics of horns allow one to enjoy music at moderate levels.

Is there LF cabinet design of lesser proportions or a system using the aforementioned components that would still give a reasonable performance in a room of 4m x 10m. I need to place the speakers on the long wall to one side of the room. The room length is split by a stair and stove into c.a. 1/4, 1/4(stair&stove) and 2/4 (which is the c.a. 5m x 4m section I'll use). I will use a p-p 2A3 amp to drive the speakers.
    Regards
    Kjartan

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Greets!

Modest?! This is quite large by most folk's standards. Regardless, the room's length tells us that there will be no real room gain in the audible pass-band, so the cab plus any wall, floor loading is all the acoustic gain we can count on. To maximize wall/floor gain requires the speaker's be very close to the wall and if possible, 'frame' a corner to equalize loading, otherwise the one nearest the corner will have more gain/'ripple'.

Note that the -8Gs I used didn't load the 511 as well as the earlier 802/808s, necessitating a higher XO point for max performance overall, but with your low power and presumably high output impedance, it may not be an issue.

Anyway, with good wall loading combined with a high output impedance, a smaller cab tuned low is preferred over the Onken that would tend to sound under-damped ('boomy'/'loose') in such a layout. If one is near/at a corner, then it ideally needs to be tuned differently to balance them out.

So:

1) Can a corner be 'framed', i.e. a speaker on either side with a corner acting as a virtual 'sub' of sorts?

2) What's the largest H x W can you tolerate with the understanding that obviously the 511 dictates the minimum depth and will it sit on top or inside the cab? If internally, then of course there's more cab net volume (Vb) for a bit more tuning flexibility.

3) Any idea what the amp's output impedance (not tap rating) is as this increases the woofer's effective Qts, ergo cab net Vb required?

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Hi GM and thanks for responding. Well modest in the sense that I need to share it with sofas, cupboards, bookshelves and the rest of the family .

1) I regrettably cannot use a corner as there are doors in the way. I have included a simple sketch of the layout.

2) Regarding size I would say something like the 620 in total including the horn (built in or in a separate box) if possible, depth should be at the practical minimum dictated by the horns.

3) No idea about the output impedance, its got separate 8 and 16ohm outputs but I really don't know anything about the amp. It is probably a one-off/prototype. I listened to it bought it and have used it for 10 years only experimenting with valves. I sometimes use a Trends Audio T-amp as well.

Best regards
    Kjartan

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast