Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Repace Diaphragms myself or send them to GPA?......

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Repace Diaphragms myself or send them to GPA?......

I was thinking of replacing my Diaphragms of my 288-16K drivers. I am pretty handy with electronics. Built Amps, Speakers, crossovers etc. -- Is there any advantage of sending my Drivers to GPA and letting them do it? Or could I do it myself and not have to be without my Drivers.

Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Repace Diaphragms myself or send them to GPA?......

I have replaced the diaphragms in a pair of Altec 807-8A drivers myself, and it was a piece of cake. I'm sure there are people on this forum with a lot more experience (and probably more tips)than I have, but one tip I was given by Altec Professional when I bought the new phrams from them (before GPA existed), is when you're inserting the new diaphragm, do not twist it at all--push it straight in--they are fragile. You may need a conversion kit as well..... Be sure to buy the replacements from GPA--that's currently the only place I buy Altec replacement parts or have Altec repair work done. They reconed an Altec woofer for me last year and it came back a brand new woofer. I try to support them whenever I can--I'm tempted to buy spare diaphragms for all three pair of Altecs that I currently own plus some recone kits as well in case I need them some day when GPA isn't around.....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Send them to GPA - the price is the same AND they guarantee they'll work right! You're only out the shipping as an extra cost, but the guarantee is worth it.
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

HB Super Moderator
    Repace Diaphragms myself or send them to GPA?......

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Absolutely GPA !!! They also recharge the magnets free of charge with every diaghram replacement so you will definately have a brand new driver as if they just left the factory as far as performance goes.

Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ah, as I said, there are people here who know a lot more about this stuff than me! Thanks Todd and AB for the info. GPA did recharge the magnet when they reconed my woofer last year and returned it sounding identical to it's "mate" again--making it a breeze to sell my old Altecs. Makes sense that they recharge the high frequency drivers as well--and nice that they include that service and a guarantee free of charge. I've often wondered if new diaphragms would improve the sound of my Valencia drivers or my Heathkit AS 101 drivers (made by Altec)--they sound great but not as good as my Model 19's...... My 19's are the best sounding speakers I've ever heard and I'm afraid to do anything to them--although I am tempted to try connecting the four ground lugs on the crossovers with high quality wire (seems to be a fairly innocuous modification) as suggested by one of our hostboard members recently......

Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Absolutely GPA !!! They also recharge the magnets free of charge with every diaghram replacement so you will definately have a brand new driver as if they just left the factory as far as performance goes.
    A 288-16K will have a ceramic magnet. It won't need to be recharged.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Changing the diaphragms can be, and should be, a pretty simple procedure; but that wasn?t the case with my first install on some 807s. The problem was that I bought Orange County Speaker?s aftermarket diaphragms, whose mounting holes and registration pin holes were off just enough that I had to bring out the drill and enlarge the holes. It was a PITA... and I never got them seated and working properly. I ended up junking the diaphragms and shelving the 807s.

If you do-it-yourself using actual Altec/GPA diaphragms you really should have no problem. If needed, there's even a GPA instruction manual (somewhere) for doing it. My 802-8gs, on the other hand, are at GPA right now getting new diaphragms, because I needed the alnicos re-magnetized, too. GPA?s prices, by the way, are very reasonable.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Changing the diaphragms can be, and should be, a pretty simple procedure; but that wasn’t the case with my first install on some 807s. The problem was that I bought Orange County Speaker’s aftermarket diaphragms, whose mounting holes and registration pin holes were off just enough that I had to bring out the drill and enlarge the holes. It was a PITA... and I never got them seated and working properly. I ended up junking the diaphragms and shelving the 807s.
    Large format Altec are a little more complicated as the locating pins on the driver are not "true positioned" as they are in the small format drivers.

For proper installation the pins need to be loosened, and the diaphragm is centered using the shim that will be supplied with it. Locating pins/dowels are then tightened so that the diaphragm can be re-installed in the exact same position after the shim is removed.

It's not rocket science, but it's a more involved that swapping a small format phragm and should really be done on a clean bench rather than with the driver still mounted to horn and sled.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd W. White View Post
    Send them to GPA - the price is the same AND they guarantee they'll work right! You're only out the shipping as an extra cost, but the guarantee is worth it.
    One thing that 'bothers' me a little, is that the replacement diaphragms that GPA uses for the 288-16K, requires a 'conversion kit'.

There are other diaphragms that are sold by Sound Speaker Repair in Arizona that fit the Original Altec Drivers. And they are guaranteed as well. I am inclined to not install a conversion kit.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

The conversion kit is only for the wire leads - the older drivers use screw terminals, the newer ones have push-on connectors. All the kit does is convert your wires to the newer style connector.

Trust us on this - the aftermarket/non-GPA(Altec) diaphragms do NOT sound right, and, in many cases do not fit, even with a guarantee.

It's not like putting aftermarket car parts in your car - no one makes them like Altec/GPA!
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast