Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Re: Power wire

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Yeah, for max performance from any electrical apparatus it must be coupled to pure, phase correct power and since it's not in the power provider's best (financial) interest to provide it...........

GM
    And what would be the best way to acheive that (Phase Correct) pure, power in your Honest opinion.With so many different appliances and things like that providing interference on the grid.Thanks

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Well, the best way is to pay a pro to measure the quality of the incoming power, then calculate the power factor correction system required. Don't have a clue what the cost would be, but I imagine it would take many years of reduced power consumption savings to amortize it, so most folks just buy as many of these types of line conditioners as it takes to cover all the desired loads: Walmart.com: Corsair CMPSU-650HX 650w HX Series 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply: Computers

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I understand you can request the power company to install a meter to determine if you are getting power surges. This can at least verify the power coming into the house. This lets the power company off the hook if there is a problem thought to be from the power company. If there are surges coming from their end, they are liable. I understand they will do the testing for free. Maybe worth a phone call.

Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Well, the best way is to pay a pro to measure the quality of the incoming power, then calculate the power factor correction system required. Don't have a clue what the cost would be, but I imagine it would take many years of reduced power consumption savings to amortize it, so most folks just buy as many of these types of line conditioners as it takes to cover all the desired loads: Walmart.com: Corsair CMPSU-650HX 650w HX Series 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply: Computers

GM
    That's an internal power supply for a computer, GM. Were you thinking of a UPS type box? If so, I don't think they necessarily produce a sine wave..... in fact I saw one the other day that specifically said it didn't.

Could you explain a bit more about the power correction? I've actually calculated power correction, in the past, for simple circuits for academics. The goal was to compensate for a inductive load where a capacitive ( I think) load was planned for. It's my understanding that normal home service from the power company are not designed for large inductive loads. Would a stereo/HiFi really be all that highly inductive? I wouldn't think it would be anywhere near the load a good size motor would be.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We use capacitor banks for PF correction where needed for induction motors and such.

Clean, phase correct AC's a worthy goal for some things (AC motors in turntables, tape and disc drives, etc), but it's less a problem for amps and audio circuits, because as soon as it passes the power switch, it's converted to DC in the device' power supply. I'm not aware of any audio circuit that uses 60Hz line AC for anything. The quality of the power supply determines the quality of the DC, and dollars spent there will see a better return than most "fixes" for the AC line. Decent surge protectors can be had cheap to filter spikes, and your quality gear should handle it from there.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

[I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Hmm, I didn't read its description, just did a search for filtered power supplies and picked the first one listed, but no, I wasn't thinking of a UPS, though there are some that will get the job done, i.e. swing the phase rotation back to unity and filter out any harmonics. Anyway, the units I remember were like that computer power supply except with 120 V/60 Hz receptacles, but now can't find any in a quick search.

What I did find though is that since 2001, manufacturers have been increasingly filtering their product's power supplies as their products becomes more computer like in design, so I guess this is why I could only find units for larger motorized appliances. One article even stated that entertainment electronics needed no extra protection beyond extreme surges.

I guess for older gear we're on our own to DIY as required.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    .........but it's less a problem for amps and audio circuits, because as soon as it passes the power switch, it's converted to DC in the device' power supply.
    OK, my power supply design knowledge is mostly limited to knowing that I've seen transformers between the AC cord and rectifier, so we have a coil affecting the PF that in theory needs some correcting and since rectifiers are non-linear, isn't it affecting it also? Or does the transformer sufficiently isolate it?

GM

Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    I'm not aware of any audio circuit that uses 60Hz line AC for anything.
    Well maybe not at line voltage. But stepped down it runs filaments in plenty of tube amps.
    That's important.

HB Super Moderator
    Power wire

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

As far as electricians go in checking a circuit for correct phase I use this you just plug it into a receptacle but if it is clean that is another story.I don't know ???

Sperry Instruments

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

120V (110-125V) Line Conditioners

My first experience with Tripp Lite was back in the late 70's, i share OG's sentiments where they are concerned, "good stuff".
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast