Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Altec 210 Split

  1. #1
    Inactive Member GEK's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 30th, 2008
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Altec 210 Split

    I recently split a 210 cabinet, similar to Mike Frye's article in SP, drivers are a pair of 420A's reconed as 416's by GPA.

    I would normally not sacrificed a vintage cabinet, but the original was in poor shape and seriously delaminating. I reused the horn flare and much of the bracing lumber. The rest is some cabinet grade birch plywood.

    A210 24

    Some additional pic's are in the link below.

    I ended up keeping a small port at the bottom as well as a 4" opening in the rear behind the woofer.

    I'm still working on integrating it into the rest of my system but it has very impressive low frequency output and mates well with the A-5's

    Split Altec 210 Cabinet

    - Gary

  2. #2
    HB Super Moderator
    Altec 210 Split


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 210 Split

    Thanks for posting Gary, I posted your link in another thread. I don't know why your posts were delayed but they were for some reason otherwise I would have not posted a duplicate.Sorry everyone for any confusion on the duplicate I just saw Gary's Project and thought it deserved some recognition.Very nice job to a Altec Lansing aficionado.

    Thank You :thankU: for sharing all the Dynaco links in your site :2thumbsup: JOHN

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 210 Split

    I know this thread is about those 210's, but I can't take my eyes off those horns on the A7's. I'd love to get a pair of those...

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 210 Split

    Yep, looks like a pair of 1505s. Great sounding horn!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member GEK's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 30th, 2008
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 210 Split

    Thanks for all of the kind words.

    The A5's are a clone of Hiraga's setup from Sound Practice with 1505B horns (288 drivers) and 828 cabinets with 515's.

    About the only failings of the setup are the size, and lack of deep bass. It's been difficult to find an ideal match to augment the deep bass. The 210 split thus far is the best I've found. I'm currently running the A5's "full range" directly off of the linestage. The 210's are running low-pass at 80hz thru a Rane AC-22 crossover (somewhat modified with upgraded op-amps) into a pair of Mcintosh MC60's. The drivers are a pair of Altec 420A's that were reconed by GPA as 416's's.

    As you can tell, I'm a bit of an Altec addict, and there are several other altec speakers, mixers and amps in the room.

    I would be more active on this site, but sadly it's blocked at my work by the filtering. It also seems to have me listed as a QUAD ESL63 Electrostatic Loudspeaker Member and when I try to get into the signature/profile I get a 505 error.

    - Gary Tube Swap Homepage

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 210 Split

    Gary,
    Great set up. I'm a Mac and Altec fan myself. I think as Mr H has done, you can achieve more bass with the A5's by reducing the port size. I did this with my A7's and it really works.

    The 1505's really look great atop the A5 cabs. I hope to do the same someday.

  7. #7
    HB Super Moderator
    Altec 210 Split


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 210 Split

    Quote Originally Posted by GEK View Post

    I I get a 505 error.
    Hi Gary, Yes alot of us are getting that 500 - Internal Server Error. I can only say that Steven Hostboard Admin. is working on it they are trying to run down this error that seemed to come out of nowhere he said.Probably some kind of Virus,Malware,or Malicious code,they are usually the things that come out of nowhere.But those A-5's I keep drooling over my keyboard.Everytime I see those my lower lip just seems to hang alittle lower. Regards ~ JOHN

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 210 Split

    yes..the 1505's are terrific horns, the dispesion is great. talk about surround sound! i find them very detailed and ofcourse very smooth. someone said multicells beam, but ive not noticed, is this because im not far enough away from them? never tried running the 210's as bass horns, i cross into mine around 60 hz. just allways cringed at running my 515b's that low with any volume. gotta give ya props at reviving an old altec cab gary, well done. sure looks sweet!
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

  9. #9
    Inactive Member leifchristensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2010
    Posts
    42
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 210 Split

    hello
    I really like the split 210s!
    would it be possible to make a split 210 from scratch and drop the reflex bit?
    I have some huge bass bins on incoming next week and they go down to 25hz with 103db efficiency
    would be great to run the split reflex-less 210 from lets say 75 and up to 5-600 and some wood 1505s with fc Altec or similar
    what?s the freq response of the split 210 with refleks
    can it be made to go all the way down?
    best
    Leif
    Norway

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 210 Split

    Quote Originally Posted by valhallax View Post
    someone said multicells beam........

    ........just allways cringed at running my 515b's that low with any volume.
    That would be me among others. Each horn segment beams like crazy up high, though the smaller the cells and/or the more cells there are, the 'smoother' it sounds overall same as the more speakers in a surround sound array does due to our inability to process a lot of conflicting info, so our on-board processor (brain) sums it all into something coherent, if not accurate.

    Well, they have a rising rate suspension, so it takes a lot of power to physically damage one or 'let its smoke out' in a HIFI/HT app, especially if driven with a period correct amp, so as long as there's some form of EQ to protect it below Fb, then they should be fine. Mine are tuned to ~16 Hz, so at high SPL should bottom out in the octave above and below it if pushed with some movies played back at reference level, but quasi-corner loading seems to protect them enough. No way I'd try it away from the corners though........

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.