Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

"Crossover Design for New Project"

OK I think I could use some help on designing a Crossover from scratch that I need to complete project I would like to undertake.I have all the components and was talking with a friend "dgwojo" that I may need modeling software for the efficiency mismatches.Any and all suggestions or help would be most welcomed.OK the only components missing now are the Crossovers.I would like to use dual 416-8B's for LF and a 511E/288C with a 288-8G diaghram 23763 8 ohm for MF & HF and for UHF EV T350's all drivers are 8 ohm.

Now I talked to the Zilchster and he recommended that I use one of the woofers to 100 hz and below to augment the Bass as running both at full range they would conflict in the midrange.

Any Help would be most Appreciated Thank You in Advance to any assistance anyone could provide Thank You !
    Last edited by Altec Best; July 14th, 2011 at 10:09 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Re: "Crossover Design for New Project"

I'm a big fan of active EQ...not passive so I'm not much help.
    I am in somewhat a similar boat that I am beginning to put another system together
    not too different than yours. Except I like simpler projects...yours is a beatiful but
    could be a real gorilla in tweaking...but no doubt it might be worth it.

I'm thinking 511E but with GPA288H drivers...the high end is better methinks
    so I do not need the ev tweeters...though gm may add that the ev tweeters bandwidth
    may be more appropriate. Still I truly believe the fewer number of transducers...the better.
    I'm thinking of the alnico gpa 416 speakers...I want brand new...that's just me.

But if I had 4-416's...then zilch's comments are spot on not just because that is exactly
    what I would do. But it makes me think I could design a 3 way system with the behringer
    and maybe have some passive xo across one of the 416Bs to keep the other one focused to
    the midrange horn....now you got me thinking!

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

[quote=Steve Mac;1829458]
    I am in somewhat a similar boat that I am beginning to put another system together
    not too different than yours. Except I like simpler projects...yours is a beautiful but
    could be a real gorilla in tweaking...but no doubt it might be worth it.
    This is what I'm finding out and your right Steve I think it's worth it.

I'm thinking 511E but with GPA288H drivers...the high end is better methinks
    so I do not need the ev tweeters...though gm may add that the ev tweeters bandwidth

may be more appropriate.
    I have a couple different pairs of 288's ,I want to use these because the diaghrams are Brand New
    Still I truly believe the fewer number of transducers...the better.
    I'm thinking of the alnico gpa 416 speakers...I want brand new...that's just me.
    1 pair of 416's are used but in great condition and the other pair I have are NOS still in the Altec Boxes.If I need to recone them (Used Ones) I will.
    But if I had 4-416's...then zilch's comments are spot on not just because that is exactly
    what I would do. But it makes me think I could design a 3 way system with the behringer
    and maybe have some passive xo across one of the 416Bs to keep the other one focused to
    the midrange horn....now you got me thinking
    But I truly believe that 1 woofer cannot keep up with a 288 without having to shelve it completely it just overpowers and drowns out 1 LF transducer.In almost every Altec system that a large format driver is used 2 woofers are usually the norm.Let me know if you come up with anything !!

I'll send GM a email see if he can help Thank You Steve ! :2thumbsup:

Senior Hostboard Member SOOTSHE's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help John.....It's going to take all my wits to come up with the new crossovers for my 19's even though I have the schematic!!! I'm a complete novice at this crossover stuff.

Having said that, I'll be following this closely though, as I think you are putting together a killer system here. What type of design are you going for with the bass bin?

I think the dual 416's will be awesome....are you thinking 500hz, 6K?

Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    But I truly believe that 1 woofer cannot keep up with a 288 without having to shelve it completely it just overpowers and drowns out 1 LF transducer.In almost every Altec system that a large format driver is used 2 woofers are usually the norm.Let me know if you come up with anything !!

I'll send GM a email see if he can help Thank You Steve ! :2thumbsup:
    passive yes...active no...the secret of my success have been the attenuators I use on the output of the behringer XO...that way I pump up the juice to the crossover but limit signal to the power amps. One big benefit of active is I can try hundreds of slopes/gains, eq,safety limiting, etc with the behringer... in effect I don't want the amp/speaker/xo to be tied together...it's just too limiting. I'm seriously considering an SET amp for the smaller system on top and with bi/tri-amping it's so much easier to mix/match and experiment.

I believe in your case you are trying to build the rod speaker right? If that's the case you need to research what they used for that project and tweak away.

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J Henry View Post
    What type of design are you going for with the bass bin?

I think the dual 416's will be awesome....are you thinking 500hz, 6K?
    I'm not sure yet on the bass bins I'm waiting to see what GM says about an over and under drivers with a sled on top for the horns.As far as the 511 horn I would like to see that go to at least 8k or 10k and then bring in the T350 around there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post

I believe in your case you are trying to build the rod speaker right? If that's the case you need to research what they used for that project and tweak away.
    Similar to the Rod I prefer the drivers over and under GM built one like that if you check out his album on his profile page he has a picture of one with a 511 on top.I'm thinking something like that except with a T350 as a super tweeter too I talked to him yesterday but he is alittle under the weather right now Hope he gets well soon :2thumbsup: Thanks Steve :thankU: John

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'd suggest measuring the T/S parameters on your 416s before settling on boxes for them. Any two in one box need to be verrry close ITR. Impedance plots and matching that as well. AFAIK, the current kits are the one-size-fits-all 416C kit Altec was using when they quit, so if you recone any, you'll probably need to do them all for the best matchup, and even I would wince doing that to NOS Bs.

Another option to use what you have if they don't match well enough is a 4-box MTM.

Doing a passive XO for a 3-way with mid and HF horns of such vastly different dimensions... I wouldn't go there. Go active 3-way and dial in the XO and delay. Be aware though that not all active XOs offer delay for the HF.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

[I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    I'd suggest measuring the T/S parameters on your 416s before settling on boxes for them. Any two in one box need to be verrry close ITR. Impedance plots and matching that as well. AFAIK, the current kits are the one-size-fits-all 416C kit Altec was making when they quit, so if you recone any, you'll probably need to do them all for the best matchup, and even I would wince doing that to NOS Bs.

Another option to use what you have if they don't match well enough is a 4-box MTM.

Doing a passive XO for a 3-way with mid and HF horns of such vastly different dimensions... I wouldn't go there. Go active 3-way and dial in the XO and delay. Be aware though that not all active XOs offer delay for the HF.
    Thank You Brad for your suggestions Much Appreciated !!! :2thumbsup:

I've always used passives I know,I know, I got to get with the times Do you have a suggestion on make and model Active crossover as I don't have a whole lot of experiance on them and need your guys observations on such units and best way to proceed with this.

The last thing I want to do is recone those NOS they are just to pretty to do that too.Because if I did I would have to go and have my head examined. I've been saving them for a long time.And now is the time to break them out.Thanks again Brad for your Help !!! :thankU: John

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You're welcome.

I've not used one, but this has all the bells and whistles;

BEHRINGER: DCX2496

Pretty popular among DIYers, just verify it'll do stereo 3-way.

The beauty is in the flexibility. Build a passive for that system and that's all it's good for. Considering how most of us are forever tweaking, I'd rather do it with software than a soldering gun and mail-order parts.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

[I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    You're welcome.

I'd rather do it with software than a soldering gun and mail-order parts.
    This is why I'm doing as much research as I possibly can to try and get as close as possible the first time.As long as I can keep "Murphy's Law" at bay for as long as I can I should be OK. But there is no guarantees as we all know.

Page 1 of 43 1234567891011 ... LastLast