Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Heads up - 19's for sale

Theories will fly fast and far, but has anyone actually measured it? I doubt we will know until we see some good measurements.

Has anyone ever seen one? I may be able to get someone to actually measure this with the right equipment. No idea if we'd actually find anything, tho.

Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Measured what, the total capacitance when combining caps? Of course, that happens at every stage of the XO build. If you're asking about the speed of electrons then I am guessing we're having a little Sunday fun are we?

Hey I just read your article about judging the PE speaker contest over at that "other" site. That was nicely written and in the true Pano style. Now I wish I had grabbed me a plane ticket.
    Nothing like a great big pair of speakers to make your day.
    [url]http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/calweldon/?start=all[/url]
    [url]www.calweldonconsulting.ca[/url]

HB Super Moderator
    Heads up - 19's for sale

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    No idea if we'd actually find anything, tho.
    I doubt it since this is 2010 and we don't have any real data that tells me there is no real way to get it.Or we would have some facts on the issue.

I think it makes sense though so i would like to keep cap values as close as possible.Do we have any reasons to keep the values far. If so what ???

Then at the end of the day what do we have personal preferences,preferences,preferences !!! Who's right, I say do what works for you !!

I have a pair of 19 X-overs will values far apart and they sound like crap,soon to be redone with close values this is a spare pair i have was trying different caps Sonicaps and Daytons.Maybe the lamp cord had something to do with it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    I doubt it since this is 2010 and we don't have any real data that tells me there is no real way to get it...
    The methods of "getting it" certainly exist*. Problem is, the only market for that particular info is retrofit/DIY, as manufacturers don't need to parallel caps to get the value they seek. They either design around available values or spec a bulk order for the value they need.

*If there's any doubt about the ability of a cap mfr to measure and quantify everything you ever wondered about and then some, read a few of the tech papers from just one such mfr;

Technical Papers
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

[I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

values far apart and they sound like crap,soon to be redone with close values
    It won't be the values that sound like crap, that makes no difference.

trying different caps Sonicaps and Daytons.
    That is something that can make a difference.

Maybe the lamp cord had something to do with it.
    Funny guy.

Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No electron speed Cal. Some folks think that there may be phase issues and who knows what else. I've seen no proof or even math backing that up, so I really don't know. I did put in a request for some tests with a buddy who has a very fancy LCR bridge.

I just use the big cap + small cap because it allows me to fine tune. Start with a lower value than needed an then add until you get what works best. I rarely know exactly what value is needed before hand.

Thanks for the kind words on the article. It was a fun trip. A lot of very good building going on.
    Midwest Audio Fest - diyAudio

Senior Hostboard Member SOOTSHE's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Cool Re: Heads up - 19's for sale

I have a pair of 19 X-overs will values far apart and they sound like crap,soon to be redone with close values this is a spare pair i have was trying different caps Sonicaps and Daytons.Maybe the lamp cord had something to do with it.
    Would be very interested in your impressions of the different caps John, as I'm thinking of doing this myself. I was actually thinking of Sonicaps or Jantzen Superior Cross Caps.

HB Super Moderator
    Heads up - 19's for sale

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    The methods of "getting it" certainly exist*. Problem is, the only market for that particular info is retrofit/DIY, as manufacturers don't need to parallel caps to get the value they seek. They either design around available values or spec a bulk order for the value they need.

*If there's any doubt about the ability of a cap mfr to measure and quantify everything you ever wondered about and then some, read a few of the tech papers from just one such mfr;

Technical Papers
    Agreed,also I think the MFG are more interested in custom orders for caps too.They charge quite a bit for custom values.Good point Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
    It won't be the values that sound like crap, that makes no difference.

That is something that can make a difference.

Funny guy.
    Hey Cal I was Just Kidding !! I figured you would see the lamp cord on the X-overs so I just put that in there. No Harm !! To be honest I have to really run down the problem because those X-overs are really bad something is obviously wrong can't be just the caps.When I get to the bottom of it will advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    No electron speed Cal. Some folks think that there may be phase issues and who knows what else. I've seen no proof or even math backing that up, so I really don't know. I did put in a request for some tests with a buddy who has a very fancy LCR bridge.

I just use the big cap + small cap because it allows me to fine tune. Start with a lower value than needed an then add until you get what works best. I rarely know exactly what value is needed before hand.

Thanks for the kind words on the article. It was a fun trip. A lot of very good building going on.
    Midwest Audio Fest - diyAudio
    Pano was a very cool article Top-Notch :2thumbsup:

I really don't know one way or the other on the difference in values keeping them close or far. I guess no one has ever really measured to find out one way or the other.But I think this is great talking about it and as Pano has posted he asked a buddy to measure "Good Deal" now maybe we can get some answers.

This is just how it was explained to me from Dave.And Dave does really nice work.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Cal I was Just Kidding !!
    No problem my friend, I was laughing when I read the lampcord part. I guess I should have put a big smiley in there. That's the problem with typing, you can't see the expression. I really did mean "funny guy"

But I think this is great talking about it and as Pano has posted he asked a buddy to measure "Good Deal" now maybe we can get some answers.
    Answers would be great. I am still stuck on the multiple capacitors altering the phase part but since I am anything but a genius, I will have my ears wide open for this one.

HB Super Moderator
    Heads up - 19's for sale

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
    No problem my friend, I was laughing when I read the lampcord part. I guess I should have put a big smiley in there. That's the problem with typing, you can't see the expression. I really did mean "funny guy"
    Cool Thanks Cal !!

Answers would be great. I am still stuck on the multiple capacitors altering the phase part but since I am anything but a genius, I will have my ears wide open for this one.[
    Me Too, I'm in the same boat my friend, yes indeedy :2thumbsup:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234