Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just want to gloat. : )

Check out what I bought 2 days ago for 20 bucks!!! No it's not a joke, 20 Freakin Bucks!!!!!!!!! somebody loves me. : )

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: I just want to gloat. : )

By the way if you know what year or model these are I sure would appreciate knowing.....to think 2 days ago if somebody asked me what Altec Lansing was I wouldn't have known.....sometimes it takes people a while to get educated. oh yeah I hooked them up today and they sounded crazy awesome!!!!!!!

Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The cabinets are Heathkit AS-101 cabs from the 1970's (I used to own a pair--they are similar to the Altec Flamencos) with new grill cloth and internal modifications to accommodate the Altec Duplex drivers that are in there now..... The AS 101's would have come stock with an Altec 416 woofer and Altec 811B horn/806 driver with Heathkit part numbers on them..... Looks like someone removed the original Altec drivers and put in the Altec Duplexes and crossovers (which, if in good condition, are excellent drivers). If you really want to learn how to make these speakers sound their best, there are people here who may be able to give you advice on how to tune the cabinets (by adjusting the port size) as it looks like the "ports" (the open hole where the horn used to fit) may be too large for the cabinet/driver combination although I don't get a great view of the "ports" from your photos--it looks like their size has already been modified somewhat. Properly tuned cabinets will get a much better bass response. Before the cabinet modifications were done, the hole for the horns would have been above the woofers (the reverse of their position now). By the way, twenty dollars is of course an unbelievable deal just for working vintage Altec crossovers, let alone the drivers (which are the most valuable part of those speakers) and the cabinets.....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

You should feel ashamed.:lollipop:
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Vot, I thought it was odd that the cabs were made from particle board. I would have thought plywood would have been the wood of choice if they were real flamincos. I am almost 1000 percent sure these were purchased for our theater here at the local community college which is where I work. They were dragged out of storage and slated for auction but when there wasn't enough stuff to hold the auction they decided that it would become a first come first served situation so when I called to get them the lady told me I was 3rd in line for them I thought for sure they would be gone but as luck would have it the first two passed them up and I jumped on them like a kid on a trampoline even though I had no idea what they were, could have been fake props for a play for as far as I knew. It all worked out in the end though. ; )

Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's a killer deal. Amazing, really.

Nice that you now know what they are and that you like them. Seems like they went to a good home. Welcome to the wonderful world of Altec! :welcome:

HB Super Moderator
    I just want to gloat. : )

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Why is it I never find deals like that.Mine always costs Hundred's or thousands.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Guys, They are in a good home and thats where they will stay. I am so glad I kept researching them or I would have never found you guys. I have this strange feeling I'm going to become an audiophile now.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Vott Mentioned I should check into possibly tuning the cabinets....I wonder who here could help give me some direction on that? I watched Tropic Thunder last night and they sounded great but seemed like you really had to hit the low notes before you get some great rolling thunder sound, they could use a little more midrange bass.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by voice of the theater View Post
    The cabinets are Heathkit AS-101 cabs from the 1970's (I used to own a pair--they are similar to the Altec Flamencos) with new grill cloth and internal modifications to accommodate the Altec Duplex drivers that are in there now.....
    Are you sure this isn't a Heathkit as is or an Altec custom done by Barzilay? I mean it looks too professional/extensive to be a re-work of a 101, plus (and it's a big plus to me) it's a double bass reflex (DBR) tuning which was virtually unknown (and still is to great extent) at the time except in professional circles and serious DIYers that read a variety of audio magazines.

For sure, it's the first I've seen from back then beyond its inventor George Augsberger's early '60s JBL cab. There's software to design them now, but back then it was strictly empirically tuned, at least at the DIY level.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast