Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Re: How to install a foam lip on a 511

You just missed them. Not to diminish your inventiveness, but pipe foam or similar horn 'lips' experimentation has been posted about on various forums for over a decade with quite a bit done after Charlie Hughes (Peavey, ex-Altec?) 'invented' the foam terminated 'quadratic throat waveguide' around 2000, then more recently when 'Patrick Bateman' and/or one of his several aliases re-invented it for some very interesting DIY horn designs for his Honda using soft rubber terminations IIRC. I assume a Google search will find them all.

Really, all these are functionally just variants of Henry Kloss's felt ring around the AR speaker's tweeter and to a lesser extent, the offsetting of drivers on a baffle to average out its eigenmodes, though I don't know for sure who 'invented' this variation.

Regardless, glad to see someone besides me around here taking a 'hands on' interest in selective damping of a horn's internal reflections (AKA Dr. Geddes's higher order modes (HOMs)).

Absolutely, so many come to the DIY forums with their 'hands out' to primarily save $$$, but for me it's always been about getting the performance I want instead of just accepting the status quo of a particular price range.

I haven't done, nor am I aware of, any cloth covered foam/whatever termination experimentation, but it seems reasonable to me that it would mimic felt to some extent with the right cloth weave, so probably worth trying.

WRT damping the vanes, these act as HF dispersion reflectors, so any damping of their flanks will reduce off axis HF response. Since you're using a super tweeter though, wrapping them with absorption along with damping the vertical internal sides of the horn to at least the same depth as them same as me and a few others have experimented with might improve its clarity through the XO BW if you can find the right absorption factor to cover it.

The global approach of tightly stretching double knit cloth over the horn mouth has subjectively sounded good to me, so hope to pursue it further along with the two stage foam plugs currently in the 511s once I get them back on line.

Right on! A lot of horn 'honk' is due to all these various reflections, though IME, throat restriction is the worst villain and why one either has to XO a typical horn well above its design cut-off like was done on the M19, 9842 and later A7s along with the selective damping or swap it for a pure WG and foam plug, both of which still need CD horn EQ if used wide range with no super tweeter.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's how Peavey does it;

peavey ch 642qt s18349

(90x40 800Hz 1.6")
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

[I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    You just missed them. Not to diminish your inventiveness, but pipe foam or similar horn 'lips' experimentation has been posted about on various forums for over a decade with quite a bit done after Charlie Hughes (Peavey, ex-Altec?) 'invented' the foam terminated 'quadratic throat waveguide' around 2000, then more recently when 'Patrick Bateman' and/or one of his several aliases re-invented it for some very interesting DIY horn designs for his Honda using soft rubber terminations IIRC. I assume a Google search will find them all.
    GM
    Wait...what I was referring to is a technique for getting a foam lip easily onto an altec horn. I've seen the work on the net by these gentlemen which is inspiring but unless you can hack easily and reverse when you screw up, experimentation is difficult.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post
    Wait...what I was referring to is a technique for getting a foam lip easily onto an altec horn. I've seen the work on the net by these gentlemen which is inspiring but unless you can hack easily and reverse when you screw up, experimentation is difficult.
    Since I stirred the pot here, I would like to add that I like working with felt fabrics for a
    project like this and many other types of projects. Its good looking and easy to work with.
    That along with 2 sided carpet tape make the job neat looking and easily reversible if needed.
    I've done my share of experimenting with horn damping with only subjective results that are
    questionable but I want to be supportive of anyone looking for improvements.

Felt

HB Super Moderator
    How to install a foam lip on a 511

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

How much of a difference does it really make though ? Are we talking big or slight differences ?

You do a nice job Steve, Thanks for all the Tips !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    How much of a difference does it really make though ? Are we talking big or slight differences ?

You do a nice job Steve, Thanks for all the Tips !
    You're welcome. We're all here to help each other...maybe confuse sometimes...but eventually we get there.

My ears say big difference. But I have a question for GM...

HB Super Moderator
    How to install a foam lip on a 511

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post
    You're welcome. We're all here to help each other...maybe confuse sometimes...but eventually we get there.

My ears say big difference. ..
    I have a few pair of the 511E so I would very much like to experiment with a set as I will be using a set to finish off my project... :2thumbsup:

Thanks Again & Happy Holidays !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    If dense enough for the BW, closed cell foam OTOH will in theory increase the horn's acoustic mouth size, increasing acoustic damping and controlling the horn's directivity to a lower frequency, but I don't see it doing much in the way of quelling mouth reflections/diffraction, so layering open cell on top of closed might be worth spending some quality time on experimentation.

GM
    Not disagreeing...just trying to bring clarification.
    I remember a while back following one of Mr. LeClea'ch(forgive spelling)'s threads:
    Jean Michel on LeCleac'h horns - Page 13 - diyAudio
    In fact the Le Cl?ac'h horn doesn't possess any lips! I mean there is no lips "added" to the mouth as it is necessary to do in a waveguide or a conical horn in order to reduce diffraction at mouth.

Unless I'm not following something correctly(which is possible) curling the lips back should reduce diffraction at the mouth.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Art J. View Post
    Since I stirred the pot here, I would like to add that I like working with felt fabrics for a
    project like this and many other types of projects. Its good looking and easy to work with.
    That along with 2 sided carpet tape make the job neat looking and easily reversible if needed.
    I've done my share of experimenting with horn damping with only subjective results that are
    questionable but I want to be supportive of anyone looking for improvements.

Felt
    Thanks...my gut tells extending the bell plus fabric overlay should have a positive result.
    My first thought about fabric is that there are two orientations...
    1) fibers parallel to surface...like in felt
    2) fibers orthogonal to surface...like in a velour?
    ...don't know which one...but it seems reasonable to consider

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12