Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Re: Crossover Help Needed With ANOTHER Pair of ALTECS

Quote Originally Posted by voice of the theater View Post
    One of the best recommendations I ever got on this forum was when you recommended I upgrade to Solen Fast Caps and solder in wire to connect the four ground lugs in my Model 19's. Now my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner! I'm amazed at the improvement in sound quality--thanks again!!
    You are most certainly welcome ! If it helps 1 person with the improvement to their 19's, then it makes it all worth while to pass it a long. Your " :welcome:" Kind Regards !

BTW: I'm glad you like the improvement.If people haven't had an opportunity to hear a pair of 19's with these new upgrades or haven't heard them in 20 years then I think they owe it to themselves to do so.I was completely astonished at the improvement wasn't expecting such a difference so I was quite happy when I installed the new XO's and gave them an audition. :2thumbsup:

Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Aditya--thank you so much for your answer to my question--you just made my day! I was ecstatic that the recap for all four Model 19 crossovers went so well--all solder connections nice and neat and secure and a substantial improvement in the sound of all four Model 19's. Likewise, every solder connection in the Model 14 crossovers were nice, neat, and secure except the one connection in question where a drop of solder dripped--it was a secure connection but that connection was not neat. I had a feeling that those three connections shared a common joint and that it was actually not a problem but as I mentioned I didn't want to power up that particular Model 14 until I got a definite answer. The first recapped Model 14 sounded so great that I can't wait to now power up the second one and hopefully verify that it has also received a substantial upgrade in sound quality. I'll do some listening today and tomorrow and hopefully post some good news soon! Thanks again to everyone here for all the help on upgrading the 19's and 14's crossovers.....
    It looks from the pictures that the soldering has gone well for you. Congrats!
    Since you've chosen to solder to the leads, it appears that the Solen caps are now suspended above the circuit board. It might behoove you to use some Blue-tac or even silicone to attach the caps onto the boards. There is a thing called microphonics, also, that attachment to the board will alleviate.

Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    The "locking-pliers" are actually called "Kelly Forceps" . You can find them as surgical surplus .
    ... + aka 'Hemostats'

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

I still can't help but wonder how much better they might sound with PIO caps. Theoretically it should make for a lower perceived distortion/smoothness, allowing for higher average low distortion SPLs which may/may not equate to much difference if playback is limited to low distortion cone/dome 'HIFI' SPLs.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Glad to hear your adventure went off without regret Vott. :2thumbsup:

Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    ......which may/may not equate to much difference if playback is limited to low distortion cone/dome 'HIFI' SPLs.
    GM
    Thank you for this clarification. Although I sometimes play all three pair of speakers at what I consider to be a very "loud" volume, I'm sure it still qualifies as being in the range of 'HIFI' SPLs (which is a range the Solens seem to excel in).

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I still can't help but wonder how much better they might sound with PIO caps. Theoretically it should make for a lower perceived distortion/smoothness, allowing for higher average low distortion SPLs which may/may not equate to much difference if playback is limited to low distortion cone/dome 'HIFI' SPLs.

GM
    I've had paper in oil caps in more than one pair of vintage Altecs, and they sounded great but I have to say I prefer the Solens. I know capacitor selection/preference is largely a factor of personal taste--I LOVE the way these things sound. I just found this description of the Solens online "The exceptional Solen line of metallized polypropylene capacitors features a high purity, polypropylene film dielectric. They exhibit outstanding high frequency characteristics, low dielectric absorption factor, high current capacity, and unrivalled handling of fast high current pulses. Designed specifically for use in loudspeaker crossover networks."

This description seems to sum up much of the improvement I'm hearing since I did the capacitor upgrade in my 19's and 14's. "outstanding high frequency characteristics" -- the high frequency response sounds much better with the Solens than it ever did...

The clarity and definition of these speakers is also now unbelievably enhanced--I've got to think having "unrivalled handling of fast high current pulses" helps in this regard..... Whatever the explanation, my ears (personal taste) tell me to not touch a thing on the 19's and 14's now that the new Solens have been installed......
    Being of "Sound" Mind

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Nice to hear......you are enjoying
    Its really very satisfying at the end of a tweaking day !

Enjoy

Aditya

Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aditya View Post
    Nice to hear......you are enjoying
    Its really very satisfying at the end of a tweaking day !

Enjoy

Aditya
    It really is nice after all the tweaking to be able to just sit back and enjoy. Not to mention that whenever I put on a recording that I've heard recently (just prior to the upgrade), I can immediately notice a substantial improvement in the sound quality. An upgrade like this really is the "gift that keeps on giving".....

After powering up the Model 14's, their improvement was very similar to what I noticed with the Model 19's after recapping them.
    .......the sound was clearer, more defined, and appeared to have better high frequency extension and surprisingly also had noticeably "tighter/deeper" bass as well...... The speakers didn't really sound brighter than before (BTW, they don't need to sound brighter), but the h.f. did seem to roll off at a higher frequency now..... The best analogy I can think of is that I feel like my system has been upgraded to high definition. The sound is incredibly detailed -- noticeably more so than ever before -- amazing definition/clarity/and noticeably better overall tonal balance. I'm adding less treble and bass with my EQ than ever before and the speakers have better low and high end frequency extension and tighter/deeper sounding bass than ever. I also noticed that the stereo imaging is enhanced as well. On certain recordings, I can really pinpoint where each instrument/vocal is located (spatially) in the mix--more so than ever before. It's hard to describe but, for example, lead vocals that are in the center of the mix appear to be even more "dead center" now--there is absolutely no audible wandering on high or low notes--everything is more "locked into place" as far as stereo imaging/sound-stage than I've ever heard before....
    By the way, I've bypassed the treble pot in both Model 14's (like I did with all four of my Model 19's) by soldering the two wires together. I did this upgrade before the holidays since I always was listening to the 14's with the treble pot "all the way up" which is in the optimum range. When I did that upgrade, I noticed the high end was improved slightly at the time. I'm not going to bypass the mid pots in the 14's or 19's,
    because I turn them down somewhat towards the optimum range -- and I like being able to "play" with them. I'm sure I'll be "playing" with them now that I've done this upgrade to determine where they sound best in the rooms they're located in. I've thought about fixed capacitors but if I ever move them I'll need to play with the mid pots again--so the thorough cleaning I've given all four mid pots will suffice.......
    [/IMG]
    Before recapping the 19's and 14's, the 14's sounded very close to "as good" as the 19's. Comparable in high end and midrange, but needed a little bass E Q added in the 30-40 hz range to compete with the 19's. After upgrading the 19's, they sounded so amazing that they blew away the 14's (prior to the 14's upgrade). Now that I've upgraded the 14's, they are again a close second to the 19's. The highs and mids rival the 19's (and the high frequency dispersion is better with the 14's--which makes them preferable for my living room set-up), and the bass gives the 19's a run for the money (at the volumes I listen to them at) with a little extra bass E Q added to the 14's in the 30-40 hz range. I sometimes play the 14's and 19's very loudly, and even at those levels the 14's bass rivals the 19's with that extra (30-40hz) bass boost---although I'm sure if I played them at maximum volume (whatever ear piercing SPL that would be), I'm sure the 19's bass would prevail no matter what the EQ settings.....

When I upgraded the 19's, "the best speakers I've ever heard in my life just got better". Now that I've upgraded the 14's--the second best speakers I've ever heard in my life just got better! Thanks again to EVERYONE for all their input and assistance.....
    Being of "Sound" Mind

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Roach clips!

Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post