Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: OT: Logging-In Issues at Altec User Board

I too am having trouble getting on this site. I hope the web site guys can log on to read this...:coffeedrinker:

Senior Hostboard Member
    OT: Logging-In Issues at Altec User Board

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Todd would have to make a back-up copy of the threads here to include them into a new site.
    From what I know about boards, can't be done without using the same software hostboard uses and maybe not even then. Gonna be a MONSTER task.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

According to the few tech support guys I've spoken with, as long as the board goes to a new phpBB host, it should not be that hard.

A copy is saved from here, then uploaded elsewhere. Of course I'm sure it will never be that smooth, but you gotta start somewhere! This forum is tiny compared to many others. That is to its advantage. This version can run until the new version is solidly in place.

I'm willing to lend a hand or do all the work, if need be. And the costs for the 1st year of hosting have already been promised. It would not be hard to get 2 years paid in advance.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    According to the few tech support guys I've spoken with, as long as the board goes to a new phpBB host, it should not be that hard.

A copy is saved from here, then uploaded elsewhere. Of course I'm sure it will never be that smooth, but you gotta start somewhere! This forum is tiny compared to many others. That is to its advantage. This version can run until the new version is solidly in place.

I'm willing to lend a hand or do all the work, if need be. And the costs for the 1st year of hosting have already been promised. It would not be hard to get 2 years paid in advance.
    If there is a discussion of this board seeing changes,could we start a new thread and have the relevant posts here archived to that one,because this needs to be canvassed to the membership at large.This thread does not alert our fellow members that this discussion is taking place.I'm all for improvements to the site,and would be willing to reach into my wallet to assist,however this needs to be discussed as an issue in it's own right in a thread of it's own.
    Turntable : Yamaha GT 2000 - Cartridge : Soundsmith The Voice Ebony - Phono Stage : Moon LP5.3 - Preamp : Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid - Speakers : KRK Expose E8B.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So you would rather leave it on the shaky, flaky hoastboard? Nah......

It's not a change to the forum itself, nor its content. Just a move to a better host. Same software, tho perhaps a newer version. And it could be Altec Green!

HB Super Moderator
    OT: Logging-In Issues at Altec User Board

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Hear Hear ! Heck I would be willing to cover 1 year by myself with in reason ! The information I have already received from this site for my new project was priceless IMO.This is just a very small way that I feel that I can give back ! Thank You to all who have helped out.

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    If there is a discussion of this board seeing changes,could we start a new thread and have the relevant posts here archived to that one,because this needs to be canvassed to the membership at large.This thread does not alert our fellow members that this discussion is taking place.I'm all for improvements to the site,and would be willing to reach into my wallet to assist,however this needs to be discussed as an issue in it's own right in a thread of it's own.
    You lost me ! This is a new thread.I just started it only 5 days ago.

So you would rather leave it on the shaky, flaky hoastboard? Nah......

It's not a change to the forum itself, nor its content. Just a move to a better host. Same software, tho perhaps a newer version. And it could be Altec Green!

That's what I'm talking about ! Why Not ? If you have an opportunity to move the site to it's very own site,without having to go through Hostboard why wouldn't you with 1 year possibly 2 years paid in advanced.

We Have 1 goal here.To make Todd's Altec Site the Best it can be.It already has great members, it just needs the software to go with it. :coffeedrinker:

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    move the site to it's very own site,without having to go through Hostboard
    If this is the topic,the title of this thread does not reflect that.My suggestion was to move this discussion about not having to go through Hostboard to a thread titled to reflect that goal.As opposed to one about log-on difficulty.

Otherwise,just disregard my suggestion.It's only that.
    Turntable : Yamaha GT 2000 - Cartridge : Soundsmith The Voice Ebony - Phono Stage : Moon LP5.3 - Preamp : Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid - Speakers : KRK Expose E8B.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There's nothing stopping anyone with the ways, means, and desire from starting their own Altec forum.

I, for one, am grateful to Todd for his efforts, and will gladly live with his choices in such matters without any bitching or whining. The recent site repairs cost me a whole right-click (create shortcut) and an exhausting left-click (place shortcut on desktop?).
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

[I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We are just looking for a better hosting provider for the forum. It isn't that hard or that expensive. No, we don't want to start our own forum - we just want to move the content of this one to a more reliable host.
    The pluses being not only a more capable host, but the possibly of better image uploads, no limits on images and maybe even a library of Altec documents, if someone chooses to build it. All that for about $60 a year.

OK, I'll stop whining now. :nosepicker:

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

We've had problems with HostBoard since the beginning.

That said, it's actually been pretty reliable, though the glitches have been really annoying.

However, this Forum has grown and developed into something much more elaborate and helpful than I ever dreamed, which is a testament to the people here. As a result, I am afraid it may be outgrowing (or has already outgrown) HB's ability to service us reliably.

Therefore, I am looking into the possibility of moving it to the servers used by the people that host Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage - they host Syn-Aud-Con's stuff and do a fine job for them, among many others.

I will let everyone know what they say next week.

THANKS for your support, kind words, and patience!

Happy listening!
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage