Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: GM's MLTL with 416-8B

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    It's not the veneer to worry about, but water blistering any exposed MDF, though if there's a leaky joint it might seal it up. Hmm, a new way to seal MDF cabs by spraying/'floating' a little water along all inside seams, he asks half seriously.

Really? I admit I haven't used genuine Windex since the store brands became available decades ago, but these bubble up good enough for me, though I guess the best would be the kid's bubble blowing solution if it's not been banned by the govt.. Google returned a DIY solution when searching for it though: http://www.zurqui.com/crinfocus/bubble/form.html

Got to try this on a so far bubble free, yet slow leaking, tire that even the local car repair/tire emporium has repeatedly failed to find, but refuse to replace as defective. Guess who won't get any more of my vehicle related sales...............

GM
    I don't know, the Windex I use doesn't seem to make a lot of bubbles but I've never used it to do that. For pipe inspection, I mix a couple of teaspoons of dish soap and a pint of water in a spray bottle.
    Next time you spray the tire for inspection, GM, give the inside of the rim a thorough coating, too. I've had leaks through the welds in the center of a rim a couple of times.

Junior Hostboard Member Vint_age's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just put one of these in the box and seal the port.

http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/m...ges/smoker.htm

And if you are really adventurous, pull the woofer and seal the hole with a plywood disk, put a tire valve on the plate you seal the port with and add compressed air to speed things up.

Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, stayed up late last night and put the last coat of finish on the cabinets, I was impatient to hear the setup.

I am triamping the system with a Pass F5 on the 802g/811, JBL/UREI 6290 (a beast) on either the Heils or the 416's, and a Kenwood KA-8150 switching with the JBL. I am crossing through a Behringer CX3400 at 1100 hz to the horn and at 9300hz. to the Heil. Preamp is a Yamaha C2a and source is a Yamaha DVD player. Quite a combination of gear and level matching is tricky. The garage venue is pitiful for sound stage and all else but, man, what a sound.
    The presentation of the low end in the MLTL is nicely balanced and there seems to be no bottom. It is very smooth but can pound your chest, too. It is heads above the stock Model 19 box. I'm throwing a lot of different material at it and everything is good. It is like moving from the back of the crowd at a concert to being right up front. GM, you are a genius. Thanks so much, this is a total success.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've kind of settled into a good listening schedule with the new boxes and have fiddled around with level matching and such. Also had a few visitors that confirmed we're on a good track with these. I even had my old buddy, Harry, in the room for a while. This is a cat that is over 90 and still recalls a lot of his speaker building days. To him, Sinatra was an upstart, funny stuff.

The woofers have seemed to break back in and other listeners have confirmed this. This is no surprise as I had them in storage for a couple of years. I think I can get the lower end a little "livlier" by removing some of the stuffing. I think it is a little too much for the application. I plan to remove about half the thickness and see if there is any change. I hope to get a little more reinforcement of the really low stuff by doing so. More of what's already present, I guess. Any suggestions appreciated on the stuffing.

Overall, the enclosures are very good, lower notes are reproduced substantially and the venerable 416b is allowed to shine. A board member suggested to get some measurement gear and that is on the schedule. I am weighing options on that.

Senior Hostboard Member AltecLansingFan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by westend9 View Post
    ............. A board member suggested to get some measurement gear and that is on the schedule. I am weighing options on that.

You also can test the enclosures with your ears, with this CD http://amzn.to/ebCGnn
    And of course, and that's very important; only testing in your listening room!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AltecLansingFan View Post
    You also can test the enclosures with your ears, with this CD http://amzn.to/ebCGnn
    And of course, and that's very important; only testing in your listening room!!!
    Thanks, I'll get it coming my way.

Senior Hostboard Member AltecLansingFan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by westend9 View Post
    Thanks, I'll get it coming my way.
    I think it's track 18, 19 and 20 (I'm not really sure) There you can hear all Hz from 10Hz and up. The best is that you can hear almost NO or less volume peaks in the frequency's.

I'm not an expert, but when I look to the enclosure, the briefcase vent looks not too big.
    So I think when you have some problems with the LF, you can tune the vent, to make the vent deeper. I would start with a vent from around 6 cm deep (make a 4 cm. deep wood frame from plywood, and put that wood frame on the inside around the vent. In the test phase you can clamp it temporary with a clamp. (during the tests you can adjust the frame by cutting it smaller and find out what works best in your situation) Succes!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Increasing vent length lowers F3, Fb, so for all but VLF special effects and some pipe organ symphonies, tuning lower would normally only be called for if the bass was too 'boomy' which can occur with corner loading. For more bass/mid-bass 'presence' [tonal balance] then, either a larger vent that raises F3, Fb and/or some baffle step compensation [BSC] is called for which is usually the case if the speakers are well away from any wall, corner boundaries. Of course, fiddling with these or any other fine tuning adjustments should only be done once installed in-room.

As for tuning by ear, it's better than nothing, but due to the way we perceive sound it's a crapshoot unless one has perfect pitch good enough to tune a piano and why I got in the habit of getting young women to help since men tend to do better down low while women do much better through the HF, so between the two, a decent balance can normally be struck and I'm guessing why I didn't have a clue what all SAF, WAF, etc. meant/implied when I got on-line.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Very interesting project, and beautiful workmanship. I never did see a link to the original plan? Or maybe there isn't one.

Two thoughts, both incompletely informed perhaps. The result of idle midnight thinking.

Sealing openable joints: I've thought of using ordinary Crouse Hinds (or other manufacturer.) duct seal (sometimes called Elephant Poop amongst other things) My thinking has been to run it thorough my old hand crank pasta machine with the linguini blade installed after thickness rolling. The stuff is good forever in some pretty tough industrial settings but provision would need to be made with a "pry" lip attached to the removable piece. Or maybe a screw thread against a hard spot on the support cleats to break the seal. It's pretty sticky. Drivers can be attached to the baffle using these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#threaded-inserts/=bzcrce Drill the mounting holes so they don't go through the baffle, or (if they do) back them with a piece of 1/8th ply, glued in place with some of GM's magic poly glue. Actual leaks through the driver suspension (if bad enough) might require re-doping the surround. Weber speaker might sell some speaker dope; I dunno.

Second. I've heard some good things about R-13/R/18 for internal sonic resistance and have seen it settle over time to the bottom of the box. My thinking has been to loosely tack bird netting (the black UV resistant kind) over the bats to try and hold them in place. I've heard that packing the stuffing too tight will require a larger box for the same results as loose filling but it may be worth a try.
    Last of the World's Great Human Beings, well maybe one of the last? OK, just an ordinary slacker then.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AltecLansingFan View Post
    I think it's track 18, 19 and 20 (I'm not really sure) There you can hear all Hz from 10Hz and up. The best is that you can hear almost NO or less volume peaks in the frequency's.

I'm not an expert, but when I look to the enclosure, the briefcase vent looks not too big.
    So I think when you have some problems with the LF, you can tune the vent, to make the vent deeper. I would start with a vent from around 6 cm deep (make a 4 cm. deep wood frame from plywood, and put that wood frame on the inside around the vent. In the test phase you can clamp it temporary with a clamp. (during the tests you can adjust the frame by cutting it smaller and find out what works best in your situation) Succes!
    I was thinking forward to doing that very thing, temporarily adding a plywood vent extension. At this time, my ears tell me it is not necesary. I believe the designer hit the ball on the fat of the bat, it is going over the fence!

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Increasing vent length lowers F3, Fb, so for all but VLF special effects and some pipe organ symphonies, tuning lower would normally only be called for if the bass was too 'boomy' which can occur with corner loading. For more bass/mid-bass 'presence' [tonal balance] then, either a larger vent that raises F3, Fb and/or some baffle step compensation [BSC] is called for which is usually the case if the speakers are well away from any wall, corner boundaries. Of course, fiddling with these or any other fine tuning adjustments should only be done once installed in-room.

As for tuning by ear, it's better than nothing, but due to the way we perceive sound it's a crapshoot unless one has perfect pitch good enough to tune a piano and why I got in the habit of getting young women to help since men tend to do better down low while women do much better through the HF, so between the two, a decent balance can normally be struck and I'm guessing why I didn't have a clue what all SAF, WAF, etc. meant/implied when I got on-line.

GM
    My thoughts, too, GM, wait until I have everyting in situ. I'd sure like to have some measurement devices, at this point. I may get to a local place that stocks all of it and just plunk down the funds.

Quote Originally Posted by airboss View Post
    Very interesting project, and beautiful workmanship. I never did see a link to the original plan? Or maybe there isn't one.

Two thoughts, both incompletely informed perhaps. The result of idle midnight thinking.

Sealing openable joints: I've thought of using ordinary Crouse Hinds (or other manufacturer.) duct seal (sometimes called Elephant Poop amongst other things) My thinking has been to run it thorough my old hand crank pasta machine with the linguini blade installed after thickness rolling. The stuff is good forever in some pretty tough industrial settings but provision would need to be made with a "pry" lip attached to the removable piece. Or maybe a screw thread against a hard spot on the support cleats to break the seal. It's pretty sticky. Drivers can be attached to the baffle using these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#threaded-inserts/=bzcrce Drill the mounting holes so they don't go through the baffle, or (if they do) back them with a piece of 1/8th ply, glued in place with some of GM's magic poly glue. Actual leaks through the driver suspension (if bad enough) might require re-doping the surround. Weber speaker might sell some speaker dope; I dunno.

Second. I've heard some good things about R-13/R/18 for internal sonic resistance and have seen it settle over time to the bottom of the box. My thinking has been to loosely tack bird netting (the black UV resistant kind) over the bats to try and hold them in place. I've heard that packing the stuffing too tight will require a larger box for the same results as loose filling but it may be worth a try.
    I've used duct seal to seal woofers to the cab, the Large Advebts had this as a stock sealant. I epoxied the T-nut fasteners into the inside of the baffle. I wouldn't think any air can travel through the filled T-nut. I passed through the heating/cooling section of a local lumber super-store, recently, and saw a woven filter containment material. It is close to what you have descibed, a loose weave. The purpose of the material is to hold spun filter elements when someone has to build a filter from scratch. I may remove some of the R-13 before the cabs are moved out of the shop and the additional netting sounds like a prudent idea.

I'm enjoying the heck out of these!