Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: GM's MLTL with 416-8B

The first cab is now playing!

I'm just pushing it full range with the shop receiver but might whack together a simple crossover to put it in it's correct BW.

My initial impressions: Superb, getting the woofer up into a better listening position makes it more dynamic. I'll have to reserve more technical comments until I have it operating in a better environment and hooked to better gear but I can already tell that the bass is very good, less west coast boom and a more gradual rolloff.

To GM: :thankU::thankU::thankU:

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Don't recall ever using R13 for anything, historically it was mostly R19 and a little R25 and R36 for in-wall and attic respectively IIRC. FWIW, my old cabs have R19 minus the paper backing since I was between the loss of Celotex and hadn't found a friendly 'tin knocker' (htg/AC duct fabricator) that would give me small scraps and sell me new sheet stock.

Anyway, I imagine R13 isn't too dense, especially if you can still hear any cab 'boom' using the click test or other tester that will do an impulse response: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/...022c3b_b_d.jpg

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Anyway, I imagine R13 isn't too dense, especially if you can still hear any cab 'boom' using the click test or other tester that will do an impulse response: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/...022c3b_b_d.jpg

GM
    +1 on the "click" test, impulse response waterfalls are pretty, but when a click sounds like a click, you're there.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

[I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys, will definitely build a clicker and see what I have. I will continue to experiment with different stuffing materials, also. I have some polyfill and other materials on hand.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, having never done this, I have little to compare it to but I definitely hear a click, no boom. If anything the click is a little dullish. It is not, for instance, like the strike of a drummers stick against a woodblock. There is no boom.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    +1 on the "click" test, impulse response waterfalls are pretty, but when a click sounds like a click, you're there.
    Agreed, but so many DIYers are using various freeware measurement programs these days I feel compelled to at least 'lip service' to them.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by westend9 View Post
    Well, having never done this, I have little to compare it to but I definitely hear a click, no boom. If anything the click is a little dullish. It is not, for instance, like the strike of a drummers stick against a woodblock. There is no boom.
    How does the switch sound all by itself when flicked? When the cab is critically damped it should sound the same except amplified. When the switch has a sharp ''snap', 'dullish' implies over-damped, which usually means either too much insulation and/or the cab is tuned too low (doubtful) and/or there's an air leak.

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    How does the switch sound all by itself when flicked? When the cab is critically damped it should sound the same except amplified. When the switch has a sharp ''snap', 'dullish' implies over-damped, which usually means either too much insulation and/or the cab is tuned too low (doubtful) and/or there's an air leak.

GM
    Now that you mention it, the switch is not a sharp "clicker" like the older models. It just has a soft detent. I think we're OK on the click test. Air leak, not a chance, I could use it for holding water. When playing music through the speaker the bass sounds close to the Model 19 sound but less of the west coast bump and a better rolloff. Those frequencies down low now are playing a lot fuller. I should build the second and reserve any judgement until I have them pushed by better gear.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

OK, but FWIW, you'd be amazed at how much air can leak around a theoretically well sealed driver........... Regardless, 'Dull' tends to be too subjective a call for many, so I still recommend you get a true snap switch to test with. Mine's from a long gone/lamented '55 A-H 104M, but can be had off most any British car at least through the late '60s and if none is available from the junkyard, then they use to still sell cheap knockoffs at discount auto parts emporiums and hardware stores around here.

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh yeah, AH, another commonality surfaces, GM. I should have kept my modified '57 Morris Minor with the AH drive train. That was a sweet little car. I had it when I lived in Marin Co., CA, close to one of the best roads for casual sports car driving, the trail around Mt. Tamalpais to the coast. As it is, the same BIL that I sourced the special adhesive from, has a Morgan Plus 3. I'll see if he has a switch laying around.