Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: GM's MLTL with 416-8B

I gave up on any further testing, at this point, in favor of building. I now have two cabinets on the ground

GM, your suggestion of an air leak was immediately dismissed because I thought with all of the PL400 in the joints, the gasketing of the bottom hatch, and the driver's gasket, there could be no possibility of such. Was I wrong.
    When I dado'd the panels for the center brace, I ran the router to the end of the front and back panels. I thought that the center brace and top/bottom panels would seal this tiny space from the inside. To that, I was wrong. I gave these notches the breath test from the outside and found that the notches in the front panel on both cabinets were leaking quite a bit. I can push quite a bit of air through them. I will remedy that ASAP.

I will definitely get a clicker going (found a suitable toggle, an older one from a castoff piece) and plan to replace the R-13 that I have in there now. The little bit of time I've had the one playing told me that this is a good alignment and should prove to be just what I had envisioned. Thanks, again for sharing your design and time with me on this. :thankU:

I will be doing some finishing on these and building out the horn sleds as time allows. I looked at the calendar and it tells me that My Uncle Sam is going to want to see how little I made last year and exact tribute. I will be concentrating on that for a few days.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Yeah, the longer I've been on audio forums, the more I've come to appreciate Altec's and the other pioneer's design philosophy of intentionally designing in some leakage and adjusting box size and/or vent tuning to get an acceptable result because even if they could reliably manufacture an airtight product the odds are that the tuning would go away the first time it's opened in any way, so in the scheme of things a wasted added cost better spent on either improved components for pro use or fit/finish to improve 'curb appeal' of consumer products.

Why get rid of the R-13? If nothing else, I'm curious how it works out.........

Ugh! I just had my little reminder program pop up to remind me to file too, though being below the poverty level, yet above the minimum required to file a return, it's just a paper exercise with no tax either paid or owed. Seems like they would make the two $$$ points the same, but apparently their need for keeping their workforce ever increasing is the reason for the spread.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Yeah, the longer I've been on audio forums, the more I've come to appreciate Altec's and the other pioneer's design philosophy of intentionally designing in some leakage and adjusting box size and/or vent tuning to get an acceptable result because even if they could reliably manufacture an airtight product the odds are that the tuning would go away the first time it's opened in any way, so in the scheme of things a wasted added cost better spent on either improved components for pro use or fit/finish to improve 'curb appeal' of consumer products.

Why get rid of the R-13? If nothing else, I'm curious how it works out.........

Ugh! I just had my little reminder program pop up to remind me to file too, though being below the poverty level, yet above the minimum required to file a return, it's just a paper exercise with no tax either paid or owed. Seems like they would make the two $$$ points the same, but apparently their need for keeping their workforce ever increasing is the reason for the spread.

GM
    GM, in looking at densities of the R-13 and the OC 703, there is a 2lb. difference (703=3 lbs/cu. ft., R13 =1.0 lbs./ft.). I have installed approximately 4u ft. of R-13 in each cabinet, if my calculations are correct.

I'm sure your Uncle Sam wants a tabulation each year so that, in the future, when he gets ready to pay down our debt, you'll tally the numbers and a different result comes about. I am still on the fence if I should start collecting some of that SS money that my Uncle has been hanging onto for me or if I should trust him to hang onto it for a few more years. I need to get that sorted out in the near future.

One thing I'm noticing, again, after only a brief stint at the accounting desk, is that we are paying a big amount for gasoline. Go figure.

HB Super Moderator
    GM's MLTL with 416-8B

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by westend9 View Post
    after only a brief stint at the accounting desk, is that we are paying a big amount for gasoline. Go figure.

That is only going to get worse. Look for $5.00 a gallon by August !

It seems like gas is more expensive each and everytime I enter the gas station now.

Senior Hostboard Member AltecLansingFan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    That is only going to get worse. Look for $5.00 a gallon by August !

It seems like gas is more expensive each and everytime I enter the gas station now.

Now at this moment in Holland we pay with a lot of pleasure :rotfl: US$ 9,46 a gallon, but that's not only in Holland the case, these are Europe prices at the moment. We can't wait till August. Nice, nice, very nice :rotfl:

http://reut.rs/eChQKZ

That's why a normal carpenter cost you about US$ 60 per hour, exclusive tax, that's inclusive tax US$ 71,40 per hours. Do you need a new garage to build??

Call me, we have about 4 or 5% unemployment here, so orders are welcome!! :rotfl:

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by westend9 View Post
    GM, in looking at densities of the R-13 and the OC 703, there is a 2lb. difference (703=3 lbs/cu. ft., R13 =1.0 lbs./ft.).
    Yeah, but the point is I already know what to expect with 703 and R-19, so looking to increase the knowledge base....................

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AltecLansingFan View Post
    Call me, we have about 4 or 5% unemployment here, so orders are welcome!! :rotfl:
    Still over 10% here............

GM

HB Super Moderator
    GM's MLTL with 416-8B

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

[
    quote=westend9;1860081]
    GM, your suggestion of an air leak was immediately dismissed because I thought with all of the PL400 in the joints, the gasketing of the bottom hatch, and the driver's gasket, there could be no possibility of such. Was I wrong.
    I've been learning that too.And currently working inside my cabinets as well.Trying to find any potential area for a leak and go over it with silicone.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Still over 10% here............

GM
    Up here too ! 9-10 % In these economic times it's nice to be self-employed or own your own business !

Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Up here too ! 9-10 % In these economic times it's nice to be self-employed or own your own business !
    Yes, when you're self employed you either have the best boss in the world or the worst boss in the world!:snickerpup:
    Being of "Sound" Mind

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

I've been learning that too.And currently working inside my cabinets as well.Trying to find any potential area for a leak and go over it with silicone.
    It's the leaks around hardware and/or poor sealing factory gaskets that most folks miss and why I prefer the NEMA spec neoprene since it's self sealing when you drill through it.

GM