Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Model 19 Cabinets

Yep....those are real beauties. You're going to have to do something special with your speaker grills. Otherwise it's going to be a shame to cover those up! Very nice work.

Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Beautiful. Oil or varnish?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool Re: Model 19 Cabinets

Quote Originally Posted by rontec View Post
    Yep....those are real beauties. You're going to have to do something special with your speaker grills. Otherwise it's going to be a shame to cover those up! Very nice work.
    There will be no grill covers for now....The wood is Cerejeira crotch, really bold patterns with clear varnish bringing out the brown earth tones as well...The cabinets are made of Baltic birch plywood with superior joints, the only bracing the stock cabinets had was a 2 x 3 (?) across the back potion of the bass reflex cabinet. I will explore how to best brace these later. I intend to modify the 811s (remove the welds on the sectoral fins/dampen them, and use 802 8gs. I have a set of 416 8bs and I have ordered a set of GPA 1200HZ crossovers. I may recap a set of stock altec 19 x overs (any recommendations on someone that can do this would be great!) as well. I and am curious what dampening material (fiberglass?) and how many sides of the reflex cabinet were dampened in the stock 19 cabinets (any suggestions for better material than fiberglass?). Anyway, I am hoping to finish the model 19 project over the next few weeks, then start on a set of 604 8gs in KOA wood Stonehenge V cabinets (thanks to Todd White for the PDF plans). Curt

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cholt View Post
    I and am curious what dampening material (fiberglass?) and how many sides of the reflex cabinet were dampened in the stock 19 cabinets (any suggestions for better material than fiberglass?). Curt
    Hi there,
    Just read your post from 2013 and I was wondering what you decided in terms of dampening your cabinets? I'm just having my 19s' crossovers rebuilt, and while I have everything out I was considering changing / adding some more material to the interior of the cabs. What was your final decision?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567