Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Altec 604 E reconing options.

Hello,
    Yesterday night i woke up at 4.15 in the morning (Paris time) for something exciting: I finally won the auction for a pair of 604 D .The speakers will be soon on their way to GPA to be restored . From what i read here from Cradeldorf as well as (indirectly ) from Ken Shindo the original paper cones together with paper surround used in the C and early D models sound smoother than the late D and E models with the accordeon type model . If i am lucky,GPA will have a pair of those left.If not i will go anyway with their new cone with accordeon surround.
    I noticed that about 5 mm of front of the mouth of the hi freq horns were filed down.I dont know for what reason that was done and wether it has an impact on the sound . Anybody aware of this kind of practices?
    If you were in my situation (listening to classical music and jazz in a rather small room and more interested in the subtelty of the music than in deep bass or high power handling)what would you ask Bill to concentrate on for optimal restoration ? GM,Jeff,does it help to ask GPA to measure the specs of the restored speakers for optimal cabinets building and crossover design.
    Last edited by charly1944; November 22nd, 2011 at 05:34 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by charly1944 View Post
    Hello,
    Yesterday night i woke up at 4.15 in the morning (Paris time) for something exciting: I finally won the auction for a pair of 604 D .The speakers will be soon on their way to GPA to be restored . From what i read here from Cradeldorf as well as (indirectly ) from Ken Shindo the original paper cones together with paper surround used in the C and early D models sound smoother than the late D and E models with the accordeon type model . If i am lucky,GPA will have a pair of those left.If not i will go anyway with their new cone with accordeon surround.
    I noticed that about 5 mm of front of the mouth of the hi freq horns were filed down.I dont know for what reason that was done and wether it has an impact on the sound . Anybody aware of this kind of practices?
    If you were in my situation (listening to classical music and jazz in a rather small room and more interested in the subtelty of the music than in deep bass or high power handling)what would you ask Bill to concentrate on for optimal restoration ? GM,Jeff,does it help to ask GPA to measure the specs of the restored speakers for optimal cabinets building and crossover design.
    Hopefully if the cones look fine Bill won't replace them, Just remag them,you'll be happier if he doesn't, Original cones are much nicer for resale If it ever comes to that. Last I heard original cones were gone long ago. Not sure what you mean by filed down? Both of my horns have file marks in them, My guess is it was to remove casting lines in the plastic to smooth them out. There is a pair of E's on Ebay that somebody hacked the center of the horns out to make them kinda like a manta ray...bad Idea if you ask me. I hope that's not what your talking about. Good luck on them My guess is your gonna be crazy happy when you get them and hear them for the first time.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Cradeldorf and thanks for your reply,
    Actually i was on the point to try to send you a mail when i saw your post.Unfortunately,the pictures of the drivers show that the LF cones should be changed.I know it is a pity but i am affraid there is no other solution.Actually,i paid both drivers a little bit more than 400 USD so i cannot expect miracles .I guess the HF diaphrams may have to be changed as well.Bill will tell me.Regarding the horns,they have been shortened at the mouth level by 0.5 to 1 cm.I speculate that this was done because the previous users were front mounting the speakers and trying to make sure that the front of the mouth do not touch the protective grille.Apparently GPA have an original pair of cross sectionnal horns(the one used on the C,D,E,G...models).I guess after restoration,they should be fine.I will ask Bill to use the low handling power diaphragms,cones and the lightest available moving mass.
    I was very interested in your comments regarding your 604 C.With crossover are you using,a stock 1600 X over or another one .What type and size of cabinets do you use?Since it is my first Altec project i am looking for guidance.Yours will be appreciated.Did you finally buy the beautifull 604 D,paper surround which was on sale on the site?

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm sure Bill will do what's necessary to bring them back to new condition for you. I'm not sure that would effect the horn enough to make a difference but if they have some perfect ones that works out for you. I'm using GPA N-1600 crossovers. I have 12 ft cabs that I built myself. No I can't really afford to buy it but it sure is pretty. : /

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123