Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Model 19 Ground Bypass Mods Revisted !

HB Super Moderator
    Model 19 Ground  Bypass Mods Revisted !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Re: Model 19 Ground Bypass Mods Revisted !

OK Mike answered your questions..Pretty much what i was going to say..But i personally like to keep the values closer together.. When working with 2 similar size caps it is easier to work with than one big one and one tiny one.. A 1uF cap is quite small..Also looks a lot better I think.No sonic difference that i can tell however.The L-pads are those big round things on the back of the black aluminum plate...

These are the L-pads I use https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...w-8-ohm-l-pad/.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alien_Shore View Post
    No audible difference really in joining the capacitors together to reach the desired capacitance (other than taking up space on the board and a bit more work for your tech!).

The L-Pads are the "dials" on the front of the crossover assembly. Note that those units function in the stock M19 crossover circuit as variable resistors, not true L-Pads.
    The schematic is a little misleading. You don't literally need 8-ohm and 35-ohm L-pads. The way that the L-pads work in this circuit is that they are actually both 8-ohm L-Pads, but have their connections "reversed" for the HF vs the MF L-Pad. There are actually two variable resistors within each. One (series) provides up to 8-ohms of resistance, the other (parallel) provides up to ~35 ohms.

These essentially provide user-controlled resistance to help adjust the Mid frequencies and High frequencies for the particular material you're playing, the type of equipment in your system, or the dynamics of the room.

On your last question, higher wattage resistors won't make any difference, they simply have a bit more power-handling before they cook. 12w will be fine in your circuit.

Thanks so much for the reply and the great description. I understand the network a lot better now, thanks. Ordered my caps and resistors today, so I'm looking forward to the rebuild. I'm going with Dayton PCMP 250v caps, and Mills 12w NI Resistors. I'd be happy to post my thoughts on the results when I'm done if anyone is interested?
    Thanks again for the advice,
    Mike

Senior Hostboard Member
    Model 19 Ground  Bypass Mods Revisted !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Of course!
    These threads are always much more useful with the follow-through of results once the mods are completed.
    Do let us know if you have any other questions or your findings once you're done.
    - Mike

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alien_Shore View Post
    Of course!
    These threads are always much more useful with the follow-through of results once the mods are completed.
    Do let us know if you have any other questions or your findings once you're done.
    Thanks Allen, I agree. That's why I like these forums. I'll list the rest of my system as well, when I post my initial "post-mod" opinion.
    Last edited by mac24; March 17th, 2015 at 06:02 AM.

Junior Hostboard Member script56's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

on the ground bypass, all that has to be done is run a wire from lug 1-2 then 2-3 then 3-4? does any other wiring need to be done?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12