0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Per my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    I know the feeling, I just can't seem to ever be happy with the sound. :/
    Well, without constant exposure to other systems, it's natural to tweak away ad infinitum.
    The one thing that can't easilly be changed (for many of us) is the venue. I'm dealing with a room which probably/clearly has mode issues. So there's always a lot of second guessing as to how much of a given change is being heard or not. It's easy to prototype something on a single cab, but then the application to 3 or 5 more for the 'full effect', requires an appropriate window of time. I am just now approaching a point where I can get the wings up on them. Which I know I should do before making any more port holes.

Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    Ok, weather's cold and I've got some 1.5" MDF (or HDF?) that I've been playing with.
    To that end, I had a concept earlier of how to read the impedance sweep, (first peak larger = ___________ , second peak larger = ____________ ), but I've now forgotten and can't relocate the source info.
    * found that missing ducted port tuning reference:
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ign/page14.jpg
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ign/page15.jpg

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Also should the port never exceed the piston Dia? which is 122 sq in.
    For a simple reflex with a typical baffle thickness vent depth, correct, lest the vent not be damped well enough to keep the driver from unloading at Fb. For large ducted port and/or [ML]TL alignments, this doesn't apply.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member
    My turn...A7 restore...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Re: Mail call and a question....

well if your lacquering these you can pretty much bet that old paint is gonna lift and orange peel like a mofo!! also the new acrylic auto paint which to me seemed just like Lacquer is gonna do the same thing. I don't scuff my primer at all. Primer, paint and then many coats of clear. Then wet sand with 2000 grit wet or dry and polish to a mirror. Although if these were mine they'd be original Altec gray. with new VOTT decals. : )
    Since I'll be contemplating my A7 refurb soon, I thought I'd ressurect this thread. It's a great read. Thanks to everyone for contributing.

I think I'm leaning toward an Altec gray restore. I just picked up the labels here: Altec Voice of The Theater Vott Labels A2 A4 A5 A7 | eBay. Sorry if I nosed out anyone here at the last minute on them. Well, not that sorry.

Mine aren't in need of near as much work:

As a matter of fact I might just leave all the scratches for that distressed look. But since I manage an autobody shop, I might just glitz them up. They're so awkward to move though. I'd hate to make them perfect and then have to be concerned that they'd get dinged. I think these speakers are meant to have dings and scratches...just sayin'.