0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

M14s: I may have a pair

Found these M14s in a lot

Bose Altec AR Speakers | FleaBay

The seller tells me they're all original. Look good, and within striking distance.
    Anyone see anything that causes a concern?
    - Mike

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: M14s: I may have a pair

OK, these look really cherry:

M14s.jpg

I talked to the seller today. He has had them for about 3 months after getting them at an estate sale. I think I'm heading up this weekend. If they're all original, it seems like a good deal.
    - Mike

Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

From what I can see in the photo, they look to be mint or near mint (other than possibly needing new grill cloth). If they are mint/near mint and all original as the seller claims, $400 is a great price. I paid $430 for my mint pair -- and had to "talk the seller down" to get them for that price. Also had to drive 6 hours round trip to buy them from the Watertown, NY area (3 hours each way). You won't be disappointed by Model 14's--they give the 19's a run for their money at all but the very loudest volume levels IMHO (louder levels than I'd ever want to listen at). Good luck--let us know how you make out with them -- more photos would always be nice as well....
    Being of "Sound" Mind

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

540 miles round trip...it was a pleasant ride though - rode through DC and saw some really nice scenery.
    Anyway, the cabinets are a little beat up (tops are pretty rough), but they do sound great.
    Here's a couple pics from the front porch audition. First up Michael Buble's first CD, next Steely Dan's greatest hits.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY YOU GUYS!

nt2480th

nt2479th
    - Mike

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alien_Shore View Post
    OK, these look really cherry:

M14s.jpg

I talked to the seller today. He has had them for about 3 months after getting them at an estate sale. I think I'm heading up this weekend. If they're all original, it seems like a good deal.

I've looked a little closer and it looks like the dust cap has been glued differently indicating recones on at least 1 woofer.Not a problem though if done properly.The cabs look like they are in pretty nice shape from the front.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    I've looked a little closer and it looks like the dust cap has been glued differently indicating recones on at least 1 woofer.Not a problem though if done properly.The cabs look like they are in pretty nice shape from the front.
    I noticed the glue as well, however removing the dust cap to center the woofer with shims is an important part of the re-foam process. Thirty year old woofers of this type would almost certainly have been in need of a re-foam, so new glue around the dust cap(s) tells me the re-foam was probably done properly (with shims). The cones look like they may be original to me, although it's hard to tell from the pics. There should be cone numbers on the back of the cones--that would of course tell if they're the original cones or not......
    Being of "Sound" Mind

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

The drivers do appear to be all original equipment. The woofers are the usual suspects: cast frame RCA 34633. The compression drivers are the OEM 902 ferrite units.

As VOTT says, the woofers would be expected to be refoamed, and indeed that appears to be true. I think they were done professionally, it looks to be very good work on both woofers. Some pro sound shop in NYC must have done them, as they put their stickers on there. Good news is that original cones and VCs appear to remain in place and look to be in great shape. Can someone with original drivers let me know what the cone number is?

model14lf1th

model14lf2th

model14lf3th

model14lf4th

Both woofers sound good. One VC shows a DCR of 8.0, the other 4.0

The HF drivers both show good DCR. As mentioned, they are the OEM 902s with no back cover and the loading caps. On one of them, I heard the tell-tale occasional buzzing sound and upon inspection the phase plug is loose. I suppose I will need to do a little research on how to shim it and glue it down. Maybe remove the loading caps and replace with felt while I'm at it?
    - Mike

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alien_Shore View Post
    The drivers do appear to be all original equipment. The woofers are the usual suspects: cast frame RCA 34633. The compression drivers are the OEM 902 ferrite units.

As VOTT says, the woofers would be expected to be refoamed, and indeed that appears to be true. I think they were done professionally, it looks to be very good work on both woofers. Some pro sound shop in NYC must have done them, as they put their stickers on there. Good news is that original cones and VCs appear to remain in place and look to be in great shape. Can someone with original drivers let me know what the cone number is?

Both woofers sound good. One VC shows a DCR of 8.0, the other 4.0

The HF drivers both show good DCR. As mentioned, they are the OEM 902s with no back cover and the loading caps. On one of them, I heard the tell-tale occasional buzzing sound and upon inspection the phase plug is loose. I suppose I will need to do a little research on how to shim it and glue it down. Maybe remove the loading caps and replace with felt while I'm at it?
    I just went through my photos of my Model 14 woofers and none of them showed the cone number So I pulled both of them and took a few new photos. It looks like we have different cone numbers. I always assumed mine had the original cones, but you know what they say about when you assume. Anyone else out there know which of these are original cone numbers? Or did Altec change cone numbers during production and both pair have original cones (mine are from 1981 and Mike's are from 1980). Mike, you mentioned one of your woofers has a DCR of 8.0, the other 4.0. That is unexpected. Do they both have the same cone number or does the cone with the different dust cap glue also have a different cone number? (my two woofers have matching cone numbers as seen in pics below) BTW, as Altec Best alluded to, reconed woofers are not a problem IMHO if they were reconed by GPA (or by a pro using GPA kits) since their cones are built to Altec spec......

Last edited by voice of the theater; May 27th, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
    Being of "Sound" Mind

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)