Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Re: Waste of time and money ????

Are you just wanting to build a small set? I asked my brother what he has, he doesn't have that one but has some of these-

Google Translate

bn84163 img600x450 1327817293icmosd61891

bn84163 img600x450 1327817294101yxg61891

He says you can have a pair for shipping cost...USPS medium flat rate and a buck or two for packing material...it's the pair he was gonna give me but I need another pair of speakers as bad as I need to get a year older...

Kind of a hermit these days my messaging is off but I'll figure out some way to put you and he together should you decide you want them...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Interesting.

I have a case of NIB 8 inch coaxials that are a cross between what Tomt and OG have posted. The have the tweeter of OG's Altecs, but the motor and frame of the Atlas. They're branded MTX Oaktron and painted Oaktron's famous blue. I guess i need to get a pair out and see what they can do one of these days.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is kind of funny. We've all got 8" coax's secreted away somewhere for a rainy day. Hah.

I have some atlas 8" coaxial pendant mounts in fact. I recall they sounded pretty good (they are packed up now), though I have nothing else 8" to compare to per se.

This spurred me to look up the driver, apparently they use the FA138 driver: Atlas Sound - FA138

Not Altec by any streatch afaik, but I checked the FR to see if they too had a 2k hump. Looks like they quashed in the FA138.

Hostboard Member
    Waste of time and money ????

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks very much Old Guy, but I originally really wanted to go larger than 8"; I think the 6 1/2" 407 is a bit small for me. Any one have a pair of 920-8A's they want to part with??? The problem with altecs is that when you get into 12" and up they get really expensive. So I kind of settled for the 8" as a middle of the road solution. But a 12" Altec duplex of some kind is where I really wanted to go. (I don't recall seeing any 10" Altec Duplex models). My next door neighbor is a cabinet maker by trade and can help with cab construction. This project is going to be a consolation prize for the 9844's I will never get to own. Thank you everyone for your great input, I appreciate it very much.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

Never?! You planning on dying soon?

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Hostboard Member
    Waste of time and money ????

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well the last 9844's (or close relatives) I saw were $800 and had mismatched woofers which was a bit much for me, plus the fact that at age 72 I am in good shape but you do kind of begin to look over your shoulder. Altecs are a long time dream every since I heard 19's at a party back in the 80's. These days I try to keep an eye on the more utility types as I would, no doubt, have to install them in my garage listening area should a pair ever come my way.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

plus the fact that at age 72 I am in good shape but you do kind of begin to look over your shoulder.
    I'm gonna be a little blunt here since i've seen too many fellas bust their ass toward a comfortable retirement only to have it cut short or missed altogether when fate stepped in prematurely.

None of us are taking any of this stuff with us when we go. The time to enjoy it is now.

My advice to you is to live your dream. If it is within your means, go for a large Altec system and enjoy the hell out of them.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    This is kind of funny. We've all got 8" coax's secreted away somewhere for a rainy day. Hah.
    I've got a single Radian 8" coax with a blown woofer coil, that I'd love to get fixed, and find a second. I've also got a couple of Quam 8" drivers with Whizzer cones that I'd like to play with, plus a few other pieces.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cls500 View Post
    Well the last 9844's (or close relatives) I saw were $800 and had mismatched woofers which was a bit much for me, plus the fact that at age 72 I am in good shape but you do kind of begin to look over your shoulder. Altecs are a long time dream every since I heard 19's at a party back in the 80's. These days I try to keep an eye on the more utility types as I would, no doubt, have to install them in my garage listening area should a pair ever come my way.

I hear ya, I'm zeroing in on 66 and with my lifelong poor health history combined with knowing so many folks that kept putting stuff off till later in life only to not live long enough to get there; I've mostly lived in the 'here and now' figuring I either wouldn't be around for a proper retirement or so decrepit and/or poor from medical bills that I wouldn't have any real quality of life, which is pretty much where I'm at least for now, so glad I was able to keep some Altec components to tinker with again once I get the worst of the house, shed exterior repaired/replaced sometime later on this Summer or Fall.

Anyway, understand the $$ issue and you imply you're not set up to make your own cabs, so wonder if there's a DIYer near you that might help to build some utility cabs and maybe XOs if you can?t, then buy used horns and new drivers, though better overall to buy 15" woofers in lieu of dual 12" due to high cost.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast