Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pecking order f/ Altec home speakers ???

Hostboard Member
    Pecking order f/ Altec home speakers ???

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just trying to educate myself in case something good comes my way. Looking at these speakers and comparing them each to the Altec 19; how are they going to actually sound in comparison???

1) Valencia-846A
    2) Valencia-846B
    3) Santiago-878B
    4) Bolero-890C

It appears to me that the Santiago is a pretty rare bird and that the Bolero in a sort of a bookshelf speaker that sort of mimics the 2-way woofer/horn layout of the larger units. Has anyone on the board actually listened to all of them or even two of them and how do they really sound compared to each other?? Night and day ?? slight differences?? Is a nice set of 846A's really worth $1700 (currently for sale in my area)??? Which will provide the most bang for the buck??

And lastly--do any of the above have a direct or close duplicate (sound wise) in the utility cab area that I might keep an eye out for?? Thanks....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Pecking order f/ Altec home speakers ???

I have had two pair of 846B's and they are very nice. I believe you would not likely hear a huge diference between the A & B's, the higher price is usually due to the older components being more desireable.

I had a pair of the 890A's with a bad horn and they still sounded very nice, however it is not realistic to campare them to the Valencia's as there is no replacement for displacement.

I currently have 19's and they are even another step above the Valencia's.

Unfortunately I have no experience with the Santiago but If my memory is correct It is one of the non horn setups. If thts the one it would not be in the running here.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

It's gonna depend on your room, source amplification, and listening preferences. All of those speakers differ significantly from each other, and each has an "ideal" application where it will work best.

You will find a strong consensus of preference for the 846A among users of high output impedance(chiefly tube) amplifiers.

Fellas who run solid state amplifiers tend to prefer the 846B with it's lower system impedance and tuning.

If classical or other forms of music that require great bass extension are your preference and you run solid state or higher power tube amplification, the Santiago with it's 413/411 woofer and IB alignment may be your best choice.

If you have space limitations and can't do large floorstanders, the Bolero is by far the best small speaker Altec ever built, and is fairly sensitive and will be happy on just about any amplifier.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

[QUOTE=bdblkta;1839246] as there is no replacement for displacement.

210's...in the living room
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

two 15's and a large format horn is really the only way to go
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    If you have space limitations and can't do large floorstanders, the Bolero is by far the best small speaker Altec ever built, and is fairly sensitive and will be happy on just about any amplifier.
    I really like my "new" model 14's.
    - Mike

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

19's Hands Down especially with new rebuilt Crossovers !

Santiago's aren't that bad they just aren't as efficient and utilize the 411 woofer that needs power,bi-amping they need to perform at their peak. Bolero's sound great in a small bookshelf type.. Valencias sound good too, they just top out around 13-14 Khz...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Hmm, as pecking orders go, these are just a few of the ?best of the rest????.

I?ve cloned/compared the 846s & 878 and my impressions mirror bowtie?s. In the bookshelf category, the Boleros are pretty much in a league of their own IMO, but not sure if the woofer and/or PR can be repaired to original specs if damaged, so Caveat Emptor.

That said, consumer speakers are at best somewhat compromised, so if DIY is viable and especially if fine furniture finishing isn?t a high priority, using used/new ?Altec? components in custom cabs best suited overall for your lifestyle is by far the best bang/buck and may save enough to allow buying more expensive components such as duplexes or dual drivers/cab.

As valhallax noted though, two 15's and a large format horn really is the only way to go if you want the Altec cinema experience in a semi-acceptable bulk, which isn?t all that room intrusive if built into the corners like Altec Best is putting the finishing touches on.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I really like the Model 19s. They would be my first choice, followed closely by -

* 604 in Stonehenge V enclosures (I prefer the "B" style horn with the later LF cone)
    * Magnificents
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

12 y/o post.
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast