Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Re: Altec Decals - Group Buy

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Weird...board took a long time the two posts?
    OG I deleted the duplicate post.It may have been the duplicate posting (Error) that took the extra time to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Rain cooled things down a little so I wandered to the barn. Second time was charmed I DID find what I was looking for. An Alps, only an MD1000 though. I've joined the two Yahoo groups, Alps and Alps decal.

Man this thing is filthy. Not used in ten years, last two stored in a dry barn, All the ribbons were out of sockets,

But this thing fired right up, and pulled a surprisingly good test print. Not sure if all the ribbons are in correct place.

Silly thing had SCSI interface for Mac we had, But after an hour on the net found it pops off and parallel underneath.

All this takes an old guy several hours to fumble through. But maybe I or someone can see what kinda copy we can get from it. May be an option. Somebody on CL locally is selling Alps gold foil for ten bucks, maybe can get my brother or the redhead to chase him down. In this heat not an option for me.

**Alps Printer Cartridges**

Yeah it's been so darn hot here too ! 10 or 11 days now in the middle to upper 90's and very high dew points/humidity.Saturday it is supposed to be 103?.

Nice homework OG !! The guy has 40 of those gold foil cartridges too... So I don't think he will run out anytime soon.. I think we are almost ready for printing boys !

Be Safe stay cool ! Do all your outdoor stuff very early in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by martyh45 View Post
    I vote for gold foil

I am working on getting this into 2 layer vector format for the printer. anybody have the ability to verify eps or svg file types? I have a full size multi decal sheet ready to check.
    Marty I found this free program online..Which can convert to just about any image file type. Online SVG image converter Don't know if this will help ? Can you save it in the AI format ?

Are you using an Adobe program for creating this image file (Decal) ?

Adobe Illustrator * Saving artwork
    Last edited by Altec Best; July 6th, 2012 at 06:29 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I will soon be picking up a pair of 820s that my audiophile uncle, who sadly passed away last year, left me. The two cabinets don't quite match up. One, which my uncle bought new in the 1950s, has the 'little maestro' emblem in the lower portion of the grill cloth. The other, which he bought used about 10 years later, has the decal across the top. (My uncle insisted they were both 820Cs though. Identical horns, etc. I will check them all out, and start a new thread on them, soon.)

The second 'used' cabinet needs some refinishing for various reasons. It may need to be entirely refinished. With this in mind, I would be interested in a couple of decals as well. I would want something as close as possible to the original though. So it is nice that a couple of you have photographs of original 820 decals. I will be happy to add a photo of this one as well for comparison, but it will probably be a few weeks.
    W.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If the Craigs list Alps cartridges don't pan out, here's a website that sells the Alps MD1000 cartridges. They also have them listed with parts numbers so wherever you get them you can make sure they'll fit the MD1000. My understanding is the different Alps printers all have different sized cartridges. Alps MD1000 Supplies - ink cartridges, printer ribbons, print cartridges, printer paper

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Are we sure that picture with the ruler in it is a regulation size speaker decal? If it is it's 1/2 tall from the bottom of the banner to the top of the Altec. And only 1 9/16 long? The Altec letters themselves are 5/16 tall. That's pretty tiny.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

According to the plans, the height of the 820's top grill face is only 7/8", so it's pretty small:

GMAttachment 1413
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    According to the plans, the height of the 820's top grill face is only 7/8", so it's pretty small:

GMAttachment 1413
    That's a real beauty Greg. I say we shoot for that color of gold.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Yeah, RAL 1023 looks pretty close: http://mehulelectro.com/images/RAL-Color-Chart-Web.jpg

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A few things I notice by comparing the photo that GM provided with the outline in post #83: There is a little line of gold just above the black on the horizontal portion of the 'A', the 'L', and the lower horizontal portion of the 'E' and 'C'. Another tiny detail is that lower left corner of the 'A' actually opens into the upper right corner of the square box. Finally, there is a little gold triangle coupling the right side of the square box into the lower horizontal bar.
    Last edited by wws944; July 7th, 2012 at 11:19 PM.
    W.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Yeah, both pictures from different cabs I've posted show 3D shading.

GM

Senior Hostboard Member martyh45's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Okay, HB kicking me off every time I walk away from the computer is driving me nuts.

Cradeldorf, I sent a PM before I read your post above. Hopefully it went through I got kicked off and when I logged back in it looked like it went. Anyway, I believe we would want to shoot for the original size. I can get PDFs or such to anyone who wants to scale them up for special projects. They should be able to use the two step process we discussed earlier in the thread.

Wws944, I think you are seeing an indexing problem from gold to black that would vary from run to run of the old decals.

GM, that is a nice picture. I think that gold looks damn close to what I have seen from the alps printers. Some of the darker looking photos might be a function of the overcoat yellowing.

Best, I think we are on track as far as file types, cradeldorf is working in AI with files that I sent him. Sounds like my multiple imports / exports screwed them up but he was able to fix it. We should end up with 100% ready for the printer files when he is finished.