Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Altec Decals - Group Buy

Quote Originally Posted by wws944 View Post
    A couple of mine just had a hint of a problem...
    got mine, also had some minor imperfections... think due to mailing machines

no worries though... plenty of spares
    dave's not hear

Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec Decals - Group Buy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

These decals look great! Thanks for your work, Mike!

Here's a comparison between the AUG decal and the original on a 618C cab. Defect on decal is an artifact of my camera.

Line weight on the black is a bit different but overall character is convincing.

The color difference is probably due in part to age and the darkening of the varnish that was applied over the decal 57 years ago. I think the brilliant gold of the new one is a good starting point.

I ordered a pr of custom 618 type cabs for 755As yesterday since I only have one original box. These will get the decal treatment. What I'd really like to know is how did they get that subtle silver hammertone lacquer finish! EPA probably outlawed that process...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Whereof we cannot speak, thereof we must remain silent --Wittgenstein

HB Super Moderator
    Altec Decals - Group Buy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

To me, that new decal looks like it has some damage on the A... Lots of mine were like that..

Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec Decals - Group Buy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can't see any damage with the naked eye, even with my glasses on. I will say that two photos taken from the same angle show it though...not sure what to make of that!

Maybe the ink layer is thinner in a vertical column down through the A and the beginning of "Lansing"??

I did receive one decal that was damaged on the word "Corporation" but it looked to be a smear from putting it in the envelope or a ding from USPS. Mechanically induced rather than a printer defect.
    Whereof we cannot speak, thereof we must remain silent --Wittgenstein

HB Super Moderator
    Altec Decals - Group Buy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I discussed this with Michael already and IMO I think it was caused by the decals rubbing up against the white paper sheet because I can clearly see the ink on the white paper sheet.. Which worries me cause the ink is coming off the decals too easily..Once we start to apply these I'm afraid more ink will come off of them... Don't Know ! I took some high res. photos for Michael... I don't plan on applying them for awhile anyway so maybe the ink will harden a bit..

@Joe I think yours has the same kind of ink rub-off.. That is clearly visible with the naked eye..

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It gives them a rugged look, like all Altecs should look.

HB Super Moderator
    Altec Decals - Group Buy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Even with those I still lots of extras ! Anybody need some ?

Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well.... you can use the damaged ones for practice. We should also test these to see how they withstand a coat of lacquer or varnish. I'm sure you want to seal the ink.
    Sorry about the damage, I really did try to keep them safe in shipping. If anyone needs more, let me know. I'll get you some out of my stash.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just got this email from Radio Daze. Sounds like they're expanding their services, which is good. Hopefully they will keep the Altec decal on file for when it's needed in the future. And maybe they will eventually stock some of the older Altec cloth, that would be great.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Major Radio Daze Announcements – Graphics, Grille Cloth and Much More!

Another cold, dreary winter in Upstate New York is thankfully now behind us. Here at Radio Daze, we resisted the temptation to hibernate for the season and instead have been very busy working on several exciting initiatives in support of the vintage electronics restoration community.

OUR GRAPHIC REPRODUCTION SERVICE CONTINUES TO GROW

Since the announcement last year of our major commitment in state-of-the-art digital printing equipment, we have been overwhelmed with the interest from both existing and new customers. Driven by a wide range of inquiries and requirements, over the winter we have further refined our capabilities and processes. In addition to bringing back and expanding our glass dial portfolio and adding substantially to our decal and plastic/phenolic dial offerings, we have also worked on custom graphics for a wide range of additional dial types, decals, various indicators, clock faces, direct printing of metal front/rear panel graphics, etc.

We are most pleased that our substantial printing equipment investment has provided us the ability to satisfy a very wide range of vintage restoration needs and we welcome any and all custom graphics requests. As we move forward, we will be sharing some pictures of these projects on our website with you to give you a better feel for our capabilities and services.

WE HEARD YOU - GRILL CLOTH IS COMING BACK!

For many years, working with a great partner in John Okolowicz at grillecloth.com, Radio Daze supplied a wide range of quality reproduction grille cloth to the restoration community. When John decided to end his grille cloth production, a major void was opened in the vintage restoration area. Since that time, Radio Daze has been inundated with requests for grille cloth and we have been investigating how best to answer this critical need. After a great deal of research and investigation, in direct partnership with a textile mill, we are pleased and excited to announce that we will again be providing high quality grille cloth in patterns tailored after original manufacturer designs. This effort is starting with three patterns that we have had the most requests for over the past year (GRC03,14,21). In addition to these, we have at least nine more patterns in development and will be adding these patterns incrementally as we move forward this year.

Although we have a full set of now approved prototype samples from our new supplier for these first patterns, it will likely take a few months to get our inventory manufactured and fully in place. In the interim, we will be accepting pre-orders for grille cloth. These orders will help us prioritize both the sequence in which we get specific patterns as well as ship to our customers on a first ordered, first served basis as we ramp up supply levels. We also welcome your input on additional patterns that you may be interested in.

Please go to our website Grille Cloth to see the initial pattern offerings we will be providing. We are very excited about this new offering!

THE “NEW” RADIO DAZE

Since the early 1990s, our objective at Radio Daze has been to supply a very broad range of items at reasonable prices to the vintage electronics community – as much of a “one-stop” shop as we could be. Over the past few years, given major changes in customer demographics and competition in some general component areas from very large companies, it has been challenging to meet our objective in the fashion that we would like and our customers deserve. Given this circumstance, the overwhelming response to our unique graphic printing services, the critical need we see for some very specific restoration items such as grille cloth and the continued expansion of our own repair, restoration and refinishing services, Radio Daze has decided to refine its business focus.

Moving forward, Radio Daze will be concentrating on supplying the vintage restoration community with a set of unique items and services that are essential to completing a high quality classic restoration. A key focus will be our custom graphics design and fabrication capabilities which allow us to economically provided high quality printing in small volumes on a wide range of materials including glass, metals, plastics, etc. Based upon these captive resources, we will be providing an ever expanding portfolio of reproduction dials, decals, faceplates and panels - currently over 1000 designs – for vintage equipment. Radio Daze will also be offering other unique and hard to find reproduction items and supplies such as grille cloth as noted above, cloth-covered wire and power cord, tube sockets/plugs, and some brand specific reproduction parts (e.g. escutcheons, pushbuttons, knobs). We will also continue providing components such as capacitors, resistors, etc. plus the quality line of Hammond Manufacturing line of transformers, chokes, chassis and enclosures for both restoration efforts and new projects.

While we are working through this refocused Radio Daze, we sincerely appreciate your patience, and of course, your ongoing business. We believe, by concentrating on some very unique products and services, Radio Daze will maximize its value as a unique supplier to the vintage restoration community. In the near-term, we will also be placing some items on closeout special as long as existing supplies last.

Radio Daze, LLC. - Antique Radio Parts & Service

REMEMBER OUR SALES LINE (877-653-8823) IS OPEN

MONDAY THRU FRIDAY 12PM - 4PM EST

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I missed the chance to get some. Wonder If there is anybody who has some spares.